Get a free C.V. review by sending your C.V. to email@example.com or click the following link. Submit C.V.! use the subject heading REVIEW.
IMPORTANT: Read the application instructions keenly, Never pay for a job interview or application.
Click the Link Below to Get Targeted Job Updates
Duty Station: Nairobi
Length of Contract: One year, renewable based on performance
Date of issue: 12th July 2022
Deadline for application: 26th July 2022
Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is an international independent medical humanitarian action-driven organization, which offers assistance to populations in distress, to victims of natural or man-made disasters and to victims of armed conflict, without discrimination and irrespective of race, religion, creed or political affiliation. 26 associations, 23 sections, and 16 branch offices make-up the international movement and work in partnership around 6 operational entities.
MSF is looking to fill the position of a Mission Specialized Activity Manager based in Nairobi with frequent travel to the projects. The successful candidate reports to the Medical Coordinator.
Objective of the Position:
Ensuring the proper functioning and coordination of the medical and para medical activity in the Mission (Mental health, Patient Support, Health Promotion, etc.) and providing support to the Project Activity Managers, according to MSF’s protocols, standards and procedures in order to ensure the delivery of quality medical care for patients and their communities and to improve the health condition of the population.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Coordinating, monitoring and evaluating the proper functioning of a medical or paramedical activity at mission level according to MSF protocols, standards and procedures, ensuring the implementation of the activity (education and counseling sessions, defaulter tracing, strengthening of support groups, linking with social actors, community awareness activities, etc.)
- Participating in the definition of strategies, protocols and activities of the mission and the projects for his/her activity by assessing mission needs according to the changing medical needs and context (including definition of log frame and budget) and developing tools (e.g. training materials, counseling and education protocols, flyers, flipcharts, games)
- Medical/legal/Operational Environment: Support the Medco in keeping abreast of the national medical policy relevant to in-country MSF programs and regularly disseminate them to the projects
- Support to projects: In collaboration with Medco and/or field team, conduct in-country explore missions to investigate outbreaks/ sentinel events and propose emergency interventions by MSF and support their establishment/setup: Support field team in drafting/updating and putting in place needed- medical/clinical Standard Operating Procedures (SOP), and to support field teams to continuously improve quality of medical interventions in projects. Fill medical HR gaps (e.g. medical team leader) in projects when needed.
- Together with the medical coordinator, functionally supervise the Project Activity Managers concerned and provide technical support through regular project visits. Ensure consistency and promote cross-learning between the projects.
- External Relationships/ Advocacy: Maintain an up to date contact list of the key actors. Proactively engage with key actors under the guidance of the medical coordinator and in collaboration with the advocacy/communication teams. Support the Medical Coordinator in contributing to the external communication about the projects by ensuring the soundness of the medical content of the communication. Represent MSF in national technical & operational meetings as delegated by the medical coordinator.
- Monitoring, Evaluation and Knowledge Management: Support in the compilation of monthly, quarterly, yearly and ad hoc medical reports in consultation with the Field team and Medical Coordinator. Monitor and evaluate the activity at mission level by defining indicators, following up tools and designing contingency plans in collaboration with the Project Activity Managers (if required). Compile and analyse the data coming from the projects in order to contribute to the mission’s reporting. Documenting lessons learned on activities and operational research in this field. Staff health
- In collaboration with the Medical Coordinator, assess and validate in-country healthcare providers, maintain an updated list of essential specialists for service provision for both national staff and expats. In collaboration with the mission pharmacist, maintain updated emergency/first aid boxes for the coordination office, expat houses and guest houses. In collaboration with the Medical Coordinator, conduct in-depth analysis of staff health utilization, identify utilization patterns and plan interventions to optimize/control use of health benefits.
- Follow up of national staff health (analysis of invoices, support and follow-up of work accident procedure, support and follow-up of chronic cases, support and vaccination follow-up) in collaboration with MTLs, Medco and HR, to review the country health policy and collaborative agreement. In collaboration with the medical coordinator, and both the national and international insurers, provide medical administrative support for medivacs received in Kenya from other OCP missions in East and Central Africa, and support the processing of project referrals to Nairobi and back.
- Support the medical coordinator in briefing and de-briefing expats and national staff on the medical operations, expat health Team management
- Participating in close collaboration with the HR Department and with Project Activity Managers, in the associated HR processes for staff involved in his/her activity (recruitment, training needs/induction, evaluation, detection of potential, development and internal communication) in order to ensure having the appropriate team in terms of size, capabilities and skills.
- Medical Doctor or Clinical Diploma
- Training or experience in tropical medicine or Public Health will be an asset
- Must have a Valid Practicing License and registration
Knowledge & Experience
- Essential: Minimum of at least 2 years working experience in related jobs and or at least one year with MSF as an activity manager. Proficient in MS Office use (Excel, Word, Internet). Experience with MSF or other NGOs desirable.
- Fluency in English and Kiswahili
- People Management and development, Commitment to MSF principles, Behavioural Flexibility, Results & Quality Orientation, Teamwork & Cooperation, Stress management.
Applicants MUST be Kenyan nationals and have the necessary statutory documents (ID, NSSF, NHIF and a PIN certificate). Candidates meeting the above qualifications are requested to submit a motivation letter and an updated Curriculum Vitae as a single file mentioning on the subject email line, “Mission Specialized Activity Manager”, to: Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications must be received by the deadline. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
MSF is an equal opportunity Employer and does not charge any application/ recruitment fee.