Get a free C.V. review by sending your C.V. to firstname.lastname@example.org or click the following link. Submit C.V.! use the subject heading REVIEW.
IMPORTANT: Read the application instructions keenly, Never pay for a job interview or application.
Click the Link Below to Get Targeted Job Updates
IFC—a member of the World Bank Group—is the largest global development institution focused on the private sector in emerging markets. We work in more than 100 countries, using our capital, expertise, and influence to create markets and opportunities in developing countries. In fiscal year 2021, IFC committed a record $31.5 billion to private companies and financial institutions in developing countries, leveraging the power of the private sector to end extreme poverty and boost shared prosperity as economies grapple with the impacts of the COVID-19 pandemic. For more information, visit http://www.ifc.org.
IFC is looking for a dynamic, motivated, client-focused and detail-oriented professional with strong communication, interpersonal, and analytical skills, to join IFC’s team as an Associate Corporate Governance (CG) Officer to support IFC’s investment operations for Africa, based in Cairo, Dakar, Nairobi or Johannesburg. The Associate CG Officer will join a global team of CG professionals, reporting to the Lead CG Officer for Africa.
Duties and Accountabilities
The Associate CG Officer will undertake and support a wide range of CG activities, primarily as follows:
1. Firm-Level diligence. Support CG activities and investment teams in IFC’s investment processes by:
• Assessing CG risks and opportunities in transactions as part of IFC’s investment due diligence (including through document review and client interviews)
• Helping IFC investment teams analyze data to form a considered view on CG practices
• Identifying gaps and making recommendations to address such gaps and to enhance the CG practices of IFC clients
• Preparing reports and presenting findings in respect of client CG.
2. Firm-Level Implementation. Assist clients to implement sound CG changes, for example, by:
• Providing input on draft CG policies and procedures
• Drafting and reviewing CG templates, products, and tools
• Organizing CG training for clients.
3. Portfolio Monitoring. Assist with a structured IFC portfolio monitoring process by:
• Monitoring CG actions implemented by clients, including through portfolio tracking databases
• Identifying and monitoring high-risk issues
• Preparing portfolio reports
• Assisting follow-up with clients and investment teams.
4. Knowledge Management. Research and develop knowledge insights, products and tools produced globally and within Africa by:
• Supporting or conducting research on CG-related themes
• Assisting in the development of CG tools and resources
• Liaising with the global ESG knowledge management team to ensure the regional team has the most up-to-date information on CG knowledge products and tools.
5. Conduct various market-level training and advocacy events such as training workshops, conferences, roundtables, and other awareness-raising events, both within IFC and externally.
6. Perform other technical, research and administrative duties in support of CG-related activities, as needed and as may be notified by the Lead CG Officer for Africa.
Candidates should be mid-career professionals with relevant experience in fields related to CG (for example, accounting and audit, legal, securities and stock market development, institutional investment, management consulting or technical assistance).
Specifically, candidates should meet the following criteria:
• Graduate degree in a relevant discipline (e.g., Law, Business Administration, Finance, Accounting, Audit, or another related discipline).
• Minimum of five years of relevant work experience in CG or closely related field (ideally in the context of private sector investment).
• Excellent written and spoken communication skills in English are a requirement.
• Working level proficiency in French, while not a requirement, will be highly advantageous.
• Technical knowledge of, and practical experience in the application of, CG principles and practices.
• Knowledge of IFC’s CG Methodology and associated tools (www.ifc.org/corporategovernance) will be advantageous.
• Knowledge of ESG principles, practices and developments.
• Experience in project management and/or portfolio monitoring.
• Familiarity with the investment process and investment due diligence will be considered an asset.
• Ability to travel regularly to and work effectively in IFC client countries, especially in Africa.
• Ability to engage professionally with various stakeholders (internal and external), effective influencing skills and diplomacy.
• Self-starter with a high degree of responsiveness and proactivity.
• Ability to communicate ideas clearly and confidently, articulate issues and recommend solutions.
• Strong organizational skills with the ability to prioritize, deal with frequent unexpected changes, and manage multiple tasks under tight deadlines.
• Attention to detail is a must.
• Good team player with strong interpersonal skills, including the ability to work as a member of a multi-disciplinary and multi-cultural team, work effectively in and influence a team, and network effectively.
The World Bank Group offers comprehensive benefits, including a retirement plan; medical, life and disability insurance; and paid leave, including parental leave, as well as reasonable accommodations for individuals with disabilities.
We are proud to be an equal opportunity and inclusive employer with a dedicated and committed workforce, and do not discriminate based on gender, gender identity, religion, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, or disability.