Get a free C.V. review by sending your C.V. to email@example.com or click the following link. Submit C.V.! use the subject heading REVIEW.
IMPORTANT: Read the application instructions keenly, Never pay for a job interview or application.
Click the Link Below to Get Targeted Job Updates
Nairobi, Kenya time type Full time job requisition idRequisition – 2022201365
FHI 360 is a nonprofit human development organization dedicated to improving lives in lasting ways by advancing integrated, locally driven solutions. Our staff includes experts in health, education, nutrition, environment, economic development, civil society, gender, youth, research, and technology — creating a unique mix of capabilities to address today’s interrelated development challenges. FHI 360 serves more than 70 countries and all U.S. states and territories. We are currently seeking qualified candidates for the position of: Diagnostics Specialist
The CDC Enhancing Global Health Security (EGHS) project is a global mechanism that supports Global Health Security Agenda goals through programs and activities focused on protecting and improving health security at country and regional levels. Core priorities include strengthened laboratory and surveillance systems, public health workforce, emergency operations and capacity to implement the International Health Regulations.
This primary function of this position is to provide technical assistance to recipients of the Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis, and Malaria’s COVID-19 Response Mechanism (GFATM C19RM) to strengthen national laboratory systems with effective modern point-of-care and laboratory-based diagnostics, comprehensive quality management systems, timely and accurate reporting of animal and human diseases, strong specimen referral and transport system, and laboratory information systems.
- Provide technical assistance for diagnostic network and facilities strengthening and quality improvement interventions in line with joint external evaluation (JEE) reports, country national action plan, other assessment reports and country workplan activities aligned with JEE and local stakeholder improvement goals.
- Provide technical assistance to enhance in-country diagnostic networks which may include capacity strengthening activities for core diagnostic components such as specimen referral mechanisms, quality management systems, supply chain, management information systems, diagnostic SOPs and tools, qualified workforce, expansion of point-of-care diagnostic service points, and biosafety and biosecurity.
- Liaise with GFATM implementer and CDC in country to provide relevant technical support.
- Support national stakeholders to develop or update national diagnostic network strategic plans, SOPs, and policies.
- Monitor and report progress with diagnostic network enhancement activities as per the approved country workplan.
- Provide technical support for diagnostics system strengthening, methods and strategies, current best practices, and established diagnostic and operational standards while also being locally relevant and sustainable.
- Strengthen capacity in local diagnostic stakeholders and leaders to identify and oversee enhancements in diagnostic networks.
- Conduct assessments of diagnostic facilities and lead the follow-up of corrective and preventive actions and quality improvement initiatives.
- Provide technical assistance and training to diagnostic facilities and the overall diagnostic network as part of overall capacity building and continuous improvement programs.
- Support laboratories to prepare for accreditation through locally, regionally, nationally, and internationally accepted accreditation agencies based on country demand.
- Coordinate and work with a diverse group of national organizations including the government and other diagnostic network leaders, development partners, other regional and global EGHS staff and CDC.
- Coordinate with EGHS team in other countries to ensure synergies and experience sharing within the project and across countries
- Contribute to the preparation of required reports.
Applied Knowledge and Skills
- In-depth knowledge of and experience in clinical diagnostics (bench experience), diagnostic networks.
- In-depth knowledge of quality management system.
- Awareness of the mechanisms and strategies that are being deployed under the Global Health Security Agenda and other similar mechanisms to combat emerging infectious disease threats.
- Working knowledge of laboratory reporting tools, and laboratory information systems
- Sensitivity to cultural diversity and understanding of the political, contextual, and ethical issues in assigned areas.
- Excellent organizational and analytical skills.
- Excellent and demonstrated project management skills.
- Ability to network and collaborate with others in a complex multi-partner context.
- Demonstrated proficiency with using Microsoft Office Suite required.
- Ability to analyze and interpret data, identify errors, and prepare reports.
- Ability to solve problems and implement corrective action as needed.
Education and Experience
- Master’s Degree or equivalent in clinical diagnostics or equivalent.
- At least 6 years of relevant experience in diagnostic system strengthening and capacity strengthening in the country.
- Experience in diagnosis of infectious diseases, including specific hands-on diagnostics experience
- Competent in current diagnostic methods for infectious diseases, including point-of-care tests.
- Knowledge and experience with strengthening laboratories to achieve international quality standards including against ISO 15189 and/or SLMTA/SLIPTA.
- Prior work experience in a non-governmental organization (NGO), government agency, or private organization.
- International program development or program management experience preferred.
Typical Physical Demands
- Typical office environment
- Ability to spend long hours looking at a computer screen and doing repetitive work on a keyboard
- Ability to sit and stand for extended periods of time
- Ability to lift/move up to 5 lbs.
Technology to be Used
- Personal computer, Microsoft Office (Office 365, SharePoint, Word, Excel, PowerPoint), Skype/Zoom/Teams, cell phone/mobile technology, and standard office equipment.
- Up to 75% within the country
- Must be able to read, write, and speak fluent English
This job posting summarizes the main duties of the job. It neither prescribes nor restricts the exact tasks that may be assigned to carry out these duties. This document should not be construed in any way to represent a contract of employment. Management reserves the right to review and revise this document at any time.
FHI 360 is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer whereby we do not engage in practices that discriminate against any person employed or seeking employment based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, marital status, physical or mental disability, protected Veteran status, or any other characteristic protected under applicable law.
FHI 360 will consider for employment all qualified applicants, including those with criminal histories, in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable state and local laws.
FHI 360 fosters the strength and health of its workforce through a competitive benefits package, professional development and policies and programs that support a healthy work/life balance. Join our global workforce to make a positive difference for others — and yourself.