Get a free C.V. review by sending your C.V. to firstname.lastname@example.org or click the following link. Submit C.V.! use the subject heading REVIEW.
IMPORTANT: Read the application instructions keenly, Never pay for a job interview or application.
Click the Link Below to Get Targeted Job Updates
FHI 360 is a nonprofit human development organization dedicated to improving lives in lasting ways by advancing coordinated, locally driven solutions. Our staff includes experts in health, education, nutrition, environment, economic development, civil society, gender, youth, research, and technology — rafting an outstanding mix of capabilities to address today’s interrelated development challenges. FHI 360 serves more than 70 countries and all U.S. states and territories. We are currently seeking qualified candidates for the position of: Surveillance Specialist
The CDC Enhancing Global Health Security (EGHS) project is a global mechanism that supports Global Health Security Agenda goals through programs and activities focused on protecting and improving health security at country and regional levels. Core priorities include strengthened laboratory and surveillance systems, public health workforce, emergency operations and capacity to implement the International Health Regulations.
This primary function of this position is to provide technical assistance to recipients of the Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis, and Malaria’s COVID-19 Response Mechanism (GFATM C19RM) to strengthen national surveillance systems and drive strategies to prevent, detect, and respond to outbreaks.
- Collaborates with health officials, national and regional institutions, non-governmental organizations (NGOs), and international donors to design, implement, monitor and evaluate surveillance strengthening activities.
- Serves as point person for EGHS work in country including leading planning, development, implementation, and monitoring and evaluation of project surveillance activities.
- Provides technical assistance to project partners to implement surveillance activities.
- Identifies challenges and develops strategies for effective implementation of surveillance related activities.
- Provides support to review and update existing surveillance systems and toolkits
- Provides technical assistance to strengthen national expertise to manage health management information system platforms, analyze data and produce surveillance reports and other visualizations aligned with evidence-based practices and international standards.
- Represents the project on national technical working groups, as appropriate, and maintain contacts with other organizations engaged in GHSA activities.
- Coordinates with EGHS team in other countries to ensure commonalities and experience sharing within the project and across countries
- Contributes to the preparation of required reports.
Applied Knowledge and Skills
- In-depth knowledge of and experience in national/regional infectious disease surveillance
- Demonstrated experience implementing field-based surveillance methodology including analysis of epidemiologic investigation data
- Awareness of the mechanisms and strategies that are being deployed under the Global Health Security Agenda and other similar mechanisms to combat emerging infectious disease threats.
- Knowledge and previous work experience with joint external evaluations (JEE) and improvement strategies at country level
- Proficiency with data management software (DHIS 2 or other information systems)
- Sensitivity to cultural diversity and understanding of the political, contextual, and ethical issues in assigned areas.
- Excellent interpersonal and analytical skills.
- Excellent and demonstrated project management skills.
- Ability to network and collaborate with others in a sophisticated multi-partner context.
- Demonstrated proficiency with using Microsoft Office Suite required.
- Ability to analyze and interpret data, identify errors, and prepare reports.
- Ability to solve problems and implement corrective action as needed.
Education and Experience
- Master’s degree or international equivalent in medicine, public health, or related field
- At least 6 years of relevant experience in infectious disease surveillance.
- Demonstrated experience implementing field-based surveillance methodology including analysis of epidemiologist investigation data
- Demonstrated report writing and presentation skills
- Experience working effectively with government counterparts at national and regional levels.
- Proven interpersonal skills and ability to work effectively in a team.
- Experience collaborating on projects and coordinating efforts with other program staff, other international health agencies, and private and non-profit organizations
Typical Physical Demands
- Typical office environment
- Ability to spend long hours looking at a computer screen and doing repetitive work on a keyboard
- Ability to sit and stand for extended periods of time
- Ability to lift/move up to 5 lbs.
Technology to be Used
- Personal computer, Microsoft Office (Office 365, SharePoint, Word, Excel, PowerPoint), Skype/Zoom/Teams, cell phone/mobile technology, and standard office equipment.
- Proficient in data analysis software such Epi-Info and/or SPSS and/or R and/or SAS
- Up to 75% within the country
- Must be able to read, write, and speak fluent English
This job posting summarizes the main duties of the job. It neither prescribes nor restricts the exact tasks that may be assigned to carry out these duties. This document should not be construed in any way to represent a contract of employment. Management reserves the right to review and revise this document at any time.
FHI 360 is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer whereby we do not engage in practices that discriminate against any person employed or seeking employment based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, marital status, physical or mental disability, protected Veteran status, or any other characteristic protected under applicable law.
FHI 360 will consider for employment all qualified applicants, including those with criminal histories, in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable state and local laws.
FHI 360 fosters the strength and health of its workforce through a competitive benefits package, professional development and policies and programs that support a healthy work/life balance. Join our global workforce to make a positive difference for others — and yourself.