Get a free C.V. review by sending your C.V. to email@example.com or click the following link. Submit C.V.! use the subject heading REVIEW.
IMPORTANT: Read the application instructions keenly, Never pay for a job interview or application.
Click the Link Below to Get Targeted Job Updates
Job number: S01841
Contract Type: Employee
Duty Station: Nairobi
Duration: 24 months
The purpose of this position is to lead Membership Services which has overall responsibility for managing the provision of result-oriented services to IFRC Membership in the sphere of governance excellence/leadership, National Society laws, branch development, volunteer and youth, as part of the wider National Society Development (NSD) agenda.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
Reporting to the Deputy Regional Director, this role leads strategic coordination with National Societies – both Host National Societies and Partner National Societies (Membership Coordination) – and ICRC (including Movement Coordination) in connection with NSD issues. The incumbent:
- Enable IFRC lead role with internal and external stakeholders in all aspects of governance and National Society development.
- Promote learning and National Society networks and peer-to-peer support to further development and leadership issues.
- Be the focal point for integrity issues, under the regional director’s supervision, in close collaboration with the IFRC task force on integrity chaired by the Governance Support Department, including ensure that CMC lead process receive the relevant support.
- Provide strategic oversight and support to National Society development, including Volunteer and Youth Development, with a focus on branch strengthening and localization championning.
- Provide regular strategic support to National Society leadership and governance development. This includes::
- Supporting the processes of revision, amending or developing their legal base and/or their statutory base;
- Ensuring that all new National Society senior leaders have undertaken Movement Induction Courses.coordinating the preparation, induction and participation in statutory meetings and Pan-African conference and maintain contact on the same issues with the file-holders from the Secretariat.
- Ensure the coherent management of evidence-based knowledge and its effective orientation and application.
- Lead the development, implementation and monitoring of Pan-African initiative on NSD through operational networks, peer-to-peer learning and support mechanisms for National Societies.
- Ensure than NSD components in included in operations and programmes, particularly for emergency response and through all Pan-African initiatives (Zero Hunger, Red Ready, Tree planting and Care).
Job Duties and Responsibilities (continued)
- Facilitate NS compliance and accountability with a focus on enhancing capacity in fraud and corruption prevention, PSEA and reputational risk.
- Promote and disseminate regional networks and reference centres to enable the effective implementation of knowledge dissemination systems as well as platforms for policy development, data gathering and statistical analysis.
- Lead on youth and volunteer engagement and development in support to IFRC delegations and African NS in line with regional and global strategies and priorities, including for the protection, management and promotion of volunteers.
- Establish support mechanisms for National Society sustainability, in close liaison with cluster delegations and other technical file holders, with a focus on domesticly-driven income generation and partnerships, management systems (finance, HR), digital transformation.
- Responsible for identifying risks within their work area, monitoring the development of the risks, and implementing risk responses or escalating to the Director when necessary.
- Foster a vibrant innovation and research culture that is strategic and centered around financial sustainability, linking to Movement networks and beyond.
Effective matrix and people management
- Ensure a well-managed team while promoting a culture of performance and continuous learning.
- Contribute to the effective coordination with technical units of the Regional Office.
- Ensure effective coordination with focal points from Country Delegations, Country Cluster Delegations and Geneva focal points.
Master’s degree or equivalent in International Affairs, Political Science, Law, Economics, Public Policy, Social Studies or other relevant field of study; or a first-level university degree combined with extensive relevant experience.
- At least 7 years of experience in either Governance or National Society Development or a combination of these areas of expertise within the RCRC Movement.
- At least 7 years of experience managing staff.
- Experience working with external partners.
- Experience with National Societies on capacity building as well as other membership services and policy issues.
- Experience working in a multicultural, international environment.
Knowledge, Skills and Language
- Familiarity with IFRC and NS pledging and resource development systems
- Able to network effectively, influence and inspire others including National Societies, governments, other agencies, peers, staff, and partners.
- Highly developed leadership skills.
- Professional credibility, strong analytical skills, and ability to work at various levels of complexity.
- Superior oral and written communication, networking and representation skills.
- Proven ability to motivate and manage a team.
- Strategic analysis, systematic planning, and implementation skills and ability to translate strategy into reality.
- Excellent collaborative and teamwork skills.
- Highly organized and results oriented.
- Fluent spoken and written English
- Good command of another IFRC official language (French, Spanish, or Arabic)
Competencies and Values
- Values: Respect for diversity; Integrity; Professionalism; Accountability.
- Core competencies: Communication; Collaboration and teamwork; Judgement and decision making; National society and customer relations; Creativity and innovation; Building trust.
- Functional competencies: Strategic orientation; Building alliances; Leadership; Empowering others.
- Managerial competencies: Managing staff performance; Managing staff development