Get a free C.V. review by sending your C.V. to firstname.lastname@example.org or click the following link. Submit C.V.! use the subject heading REVIEW.
IMPORTANT: Read the application instructions keenly, Never pay for a job interview or application.
Click the Link Below to Get Targeted Job Updates
Nairobi /Technology – Technology Development /Permanent
Combining high-scale operations with digital intelligence, Komaza is revolutionizing African forestry – unlocking the potential for small-scale farmers to serve booming wood markets.
We’re currently planting commercial-grade forests at a rate of over 1 million trees per year, expanding our farmer-base by 5,000+ – and we’re growing fast. To date, we’ve planted over 7 million total trees with 22,000 farmers, making us Kenya’s largest industrial tree planter. We hold the only sustainable blueprint for meeting Africa’s $30B wood supply crisis. Smallholder farms offer nearly limitless land, and can establish a hectare of trees for far less than big plantations.
We have been recognized with numerous awards and investments, including The Climate Policy Initiative, The Nature Conservancy, Forbes, and Novastar Ventures.
About the Team
With plans to grow into the largest forestry company on the continent, Technology Development is central to the operations and strategy at Komaza. We are building a powerful mobile and web platform that uses farmer, tree, and mapping data to give insights on how to plant trees effectively, with more farmers, to better outcomes.
Our mobile app increased the farmer base by 50% and expects to double again next year. As a small development team, we operate like a startup. We’re growing to build the future of tech at Komaza.
About this Role
Reporting to the Technical Development Lead, and based in Nairobi Kenya, you will focus on databases, scripting, backend logic, APIs, and website architecture. You will collaborate with teammates to build our internal tools that support our hundreds of teammates in the field. Your contribution to the continuous improvement of our internal applications is mission-critical for making a positive social, economic, and ecological impact.
What You Will Do
- Design, build and maintain internal tools (WebApps, Komaza Tools Library, Tech API, core databases etc…) as well as test and debug backend processes to improve Komaza’s internal workflow and capabilities.
- Collaborate cross-functionally with business users, product teams, and other engineers to define, design, scope and ship new features using elegant solutions.
- Deliver new features to production environments and support them in operation.
- Collaborate with Systems Architects to design systems and rules that govern the interactions between data, activities, and interfaces.
- Work closely with the Data Science team to ensure data integration and connectedness across departments.
- Provide recommendations for continuous improvement in key technical and design areas, championing innovation in our approach.
- Develop and implement best practices into company policies.
- Help create internal IP along with the associated documentation.
What You Have
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or related degree.
- At Least 3 years of experience in backend software development, building robust and scalable server-side services defined by RESTful APIs in Python.
- Proficient knowledge in the use of back-end programming languages: Python, SQL, AWS Tools, API Design, PostgreSQL, Ruby on Rails.
- Experience leading the design and development of cloud applications at an enterprise scale using relevant technologies for our stack.
- Strong understanding of unit testing, design patterns, and usage of tools like profilers.
- Experience leading agile development and driving fast-paced, iterative product releases with the use of simple collaborative tools like Jira, Trello & Asana.
- Experience with source control and continuous integration tools (e.g.GIT).
- Ability to thrive in an environment that requires you to partner with multiple cross-functional teams as stakeholders
You Are Also
- Motivated and excited to work in a startup environment that is dynamic, unbureaucratic, and embraces change.
- Self-directed and intellectually curious – you know how and when to seek feedback in the pursuit of continuous improvement.
- Growth-obsessed with a strong desire for personal development.
- A collaborative problem solver who seeks the opinions of other teammates and departments in the development of creative and sustainable systems.
Great vision without great people is irrelevant, Jim Collins wisely stated. If you share Komaza’s vision and want to help make it a reality, apply today! We offer a competitive remuneration package and an opportunity to further your career.
Komaza is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit and business need.