Get a free C.V. review by sending your C.V. to firstname.lastname@example.org or click the following link. Submit C.V.! use the subject heading REVIEW.
IMPORTANT: Read the application instructions keenly, Never pay for a job interview or application.
Click the Link Below to Get Targeted Job Updates
Nurse Liaison Officer
Duty Station: Nairobi
Date of issue: 18th July 2022
Deadline for application: 1st August 2022
Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is an international independent medical humanitarian action-driven organization, which offers assistance to populations in distress, to victims of natural or man-made disasters and to victims of armed conflict, without discrimination and irrespective of race, religion, creed or political affiliation. 26 associations, 23 sections, and 16 branch offices make-up the international movement and work in partnership around 6 operational entities.
MSF is looking to fill the position of a Nurse Liaison Officer based in Nairobi and supporting patients coming to Kenya from Malawi for chemoradiation therapy at the Nairobi Hospital. The successful candidate reports to the OPD Manager.
Objective of the Position:
Coordinating the chemoradiation patients’ pathway in the Cancer Center and providing the nursing needs for the patients outside of the hospital, universal hygiene standards and MSF protocols, in order to ensure the delivery of quality medical care for patients during their stay.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
Under the supervision of the OPD Manager, the nurse ensures the coordination of the chemoradiotherapy patient pathway:
- Have discussions with the Nairobi Hospital administration. Carry out and supervise administrative procedures and documents with Nairobi Hospital and MSF mission (fill in patient’s files, forms, consumptions, statistics, registers, health files, etc.), ensuring an appropriate written/oral handover, and reporting any problematic situations and cases that may arise. Participates in data collection and keeps doctors/supervisors informed.
- Ensure the patient pathway in Kenya.
- Is responsible for the perdiem to give to the patients
- Ensure the invoice flow for medical costs according to the internal SOP between MSF Malawi and Kenya
- Ensure the invoice flow for the other costs: transportation, housing etc
- Help in the monthly cash request for the Kenya mission in order to forecast cash flow
- Is the MSF Contact person for Nairobi Hospital. Carries out the admission, surveillance and follow up of patients that come to Nairobi for chemoradiation treatment (i.e. assessment of the evolution of their state of health and the identification of any emergency situation or deterioration)
- Ensure the MDT if needed; Ensure patient follow up for care and management of side effects outside the hospital
- Accompany the patients to the medical appointments for translation purposes. Organize and carry out care and treatments according to medical prescriptions, assisting during consultations, daily rounds and other medical procedures when required by Nairobi Hospital. Participate in health education of the patient (and family) when necessary.
- Knowing, promoting, implementing, and following up the universal hygiene standards/ precautions, bio-hazard prevention and infection control, security rules and other protocols and procedures during the stay of the patient out-side the time the patient spend the hospital and ensuring high standards of hygiene of the patient’s environment. Respecting medical secrets and confidentiality at all times.
Logistics: Ensure with CC project the arrivals: room occupancy; availability of taxi transportation
The nurse also ensures:
- Empathic communication with the patient, her/his family and the health providers
- Daily care for the patients according to the hospital rules: hygiene, laundry, medication, and if needed, help the patient with these tasks.
- Complete observation regarding the health status of the patients and the side effects of the treatment
- Complete weekly reporting to the OPD supervisor in Malawi
- Psychosocial support of the patient and reporting to the counsellor in weekly basis and in case of any issue
- Diploma/Degree in Nursing; Training and experience in Oncology desirable.
Knowledge & Experience
- Essential: Minimum of at least 2 years working experience in related jobs: experience with MSF or other NGOs highly desirable. Demonstrable experience in supervising and training others in a team setting. Proficient in MS Office use (Excel, Word, Internet).
- Fluency in English and Chichewa
- Stress management, Behavioural Flexibility, Results & Quality Orientation, Teamwork & Cooperation, Commitment to MSF principles
Candidates meeting the above qualifications are requested to submit a motivation letter and an updated Curriculum Vitae as a single file mentioning on the subject email line, “Nurse Liaison Offcier”, to: Email: email@example.com
Applications must be received by the deadline. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
MSF is an equal opportunity Employer and does not charge any application/ recruitment fee.