Get a free C.V. review by sending your C.V. to firstname.lastname@example.org or click the following link. Submit C.V.! use the subject heading REVIEW.
IMPORTANT: Read the application instructions keenly, Never pay for a job interview or application.
Click the Link Below to Get Targeted Job Updates
Position Title: Information Security Manager
Reports To: Information Technology Coordinator
Division: Immigration & Refugee Program+ (IRP+)
Department: Administration, Information Technology
Job Location: Nairobi, Kenya
Grade Level: Grade 8, Manager, National
Introduction: Church World Service (CWS) is a not-for-profit, faith-based organization transforming communities around the globe through just and sustainable solutions to hunger, poverty, displacement and disaster. CWS does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, gender identity, genetic information, age, disability or veteran status in employment or in the provision of services.
This position is primarily responsible for taking lead in the management of CWS Africa information system security program to ensure that information assets are adequately protected by among others, identifying, evaluating and reporting on information security risks in a manner that meets compliance and regulatory requirements, and aligns with and supports the risk posture of the organization.
They supervise the Senior Information Security Officer (SISO) and oversee the development, adoption, implementation and enforcement of information security policies, procedures and standards to ensure compliance with the organizational IS security framework and other Information security legal requirements and best practices.
The position requires documentation and presentation skills, analytical and critical thinking skills, the ability to identify needs, flexibility, initiative and confidence in dealing with different types of complex systems, network, software, equipment and different types of people.
- Achieves and maintains a thorough knowledge and adherence to established RSC Africa, CWS/IRP, DOS/PRM and USCIS policies and procedures regarding the CWS Africa programs management.
- Strategic Support and Management
- Develop, implement and monitor a strategic, comprehensive enterprise information security and IT risk management program to ensure that the integrity, confidentiality and availability of information is owned, controlled or processed by the organization.
- The CWS Africa Information System should be secured according to the organizational defined policies, Integrity and Compliance Guide, Federal IT security requirements and the National Institute of Standards Technology (NIST) moderate controls among other information systems local and global legal and best practice requirements.
- Manage the enterprise’s information security organization, consisting of direct reports and indirect reports (such as individuals in business continuity and IT operations). This includes hiring, training, staff development, performance management and annual performance reviews.
- Facilitate information security governance through the implementation of a hierarchical governance program, including the formation of an information security steering committee or advisory board.
- The ISM provides input and recommendation to IT and CWS Africa management on systems security updates and trends advises on key IT security areas including; risk management, legal and regulatory compliance and policy in all CWS Africa countries of operation; and oversees ongoing risk identification, remediation, compliance and vendor risk management.
- Works with the SISO to develop, maintain and publish up-to-date information security policies, standards and guidelines. Oversee the approval, training, and dissemination of security policies and practices.
- Create, communicate and implement a risk-based process for vendor risk management, including the assessment and treatment for risks that may result from partners, consultants and other service providers.
- Work with the IT Coordinator to develop and manage information security budgets, and monitor them for variances.
- Review and approve information security and risk management awareness training programs for all employees, contractors and approved system users, working closely with the training department.
- Work directly with the business units to facilitate IT risk assessment and risk management processes, and work with stakeholders throughout the enterprise on identifying acceptable levels of residual risk.
- Provide regular reporting on the current status of the information security program to enterprise risk teams, senior business leaders and the board of directors as part of a strategic enterprise risk management program.
- Create and maintain a framework for roles and responsibilities with regard to information ownership, classification, accountability and protection.
- Enhance the information security management framework based on Federal government requirements and oversee consistent implementation.
- Provide strategic risk guidance for IT projects, including the evaluation and recommendation of technical controls.
- Liaise with the enterprise architecture team to ensure alignment between the security and enterprise architectures, thus coordinating the strategic planning implicit in these architectures.
- Coordinate information security and risk management projects with resources from the IT organization and business unit teams.
- Ensure that security programs comply with relevant laws, regulations and policies to minimize or eliminate risk and audit findings.
- Define and facilitate the information security risk assessment process, including the reporting and oversight of treatment efforts to address negative findings.
- Manage security incidents and events to protect corporate IT assets, including intellectual property, regulated data and the company’s reputation.
- Monitor the external threat environment for emerging threats, and advise relevant stakeholders on the appropriate courses of action.
- Develop and oversee effective disaster recovery policies and standards to align with enterprise business continuity management program goals. Coordinate the development of implementation plans and procedures to ensure that business-critical services are recovered in the event of a security event. Provide direction, support and in-house consulting in these areas.
- Facilitate a metrics and reporting framework to measure the efficiency and effectiveness of the program, facilitate appropriate resource allocation, and increase the maturity of the security.
- Understand and interact with related disciplines through committees to ensure the consistent application of policies and standards across all technology projects, systems and services, including, but not limited to, privacy, risk management, compliance and business continuity management.
- Liaise among the information security team and corporate compliance, audit, legal, HR, among other relevant management teams as required.
- Liaise with external agencies, such as law enforcement and other advisory bodies as necessary, to ensure that the organization maintains a strong security posture.
- Liaises with RPC and CWS HQ IT security personnel on any security related matters or incidents.
- Assist resource owners and IT staff in understanding and responding to security audit failures reported by auditors.
- Work as a liaison with vendors and the legal and purchasing departments to establish mutually acceptable contracts and service-level agreements.
- Manage security issues and incidents, and participate in problem and change management forums. Ensuring timely reporting and adequate participation in investigation for ICT security incidents.
- Work with various stakeholders to identify information asset owners to classify data and systems as part of a control framework implementation.
- Work with the IT and business stakeholders to define metrics and reporting strategies that effectively communicate successes and progress of the security program.
- Consult with IT and security staff to ensure that security is factored into the evaluation, selection, installation and configuration of hardware, applications and software.
- Works with relevant IT Staff in systems configuration management, changes, updates and daily monitoring and reporting as required by IT management; Provides IT security related assistance and oversight to IT Officers in South Africa, Tanzania, Uganda and all sub offices
- Recommend and coordinate the implementation of technical controls to support and enforce defined security policies.
- Research, evaluate, design, test, recommend or plan the implementation of new or updated information security hardware or software, and analyze its impact on the existing environment; provide technical and managerial expertise for the administration of security tools.
- Work with the enterprise architecture team to ensure that there is a convergence of business, technical and security requirements; liaise with IT management to align existing technical installed base and skills with future architectural requirements.
- Develop a strong working relationship with the security engineering team to develop and implement controls and configurations aligned with security policies and legal, regulatory and audit requirements
- Coordinate measure and report on the technical aspects of security management.
- Manage outsourced vendors that provide information security functions for compliance with contracted service-level agreements.
- Manage and coordinate operational components of incident management, including detection, response and reporting.
- Maintain a knowledgebase comprising a technical reference library, security advisories and alerts, information on security trends and practices, and laws and regulations.
- Oversee day-to-day activities of threat and vulnerability management, identify risk tolerances, recommend treatment plans, communicate information about residual risk, review, edit and approve reports.
- Ensure audit trails, system logs and other monitoring data sources are reviewed periodically and comply with policies and audit requirements.
- Oversee Annual internal IT security Audit/Assessment against the NIST security framework; including a risk assessment and budget estimation for risk mitigation and treatment; and ensuring compliance with all the regulatory controls
- Design, coordinate and oversee security-testing procedures to verify the security of systems, networks and applications, and manage the remediation of identified risks
- Resolves all escalated IT security related requests escalated from the SISO and the service desk
- Performs other duties assigned by the IT Coordinator or the CWS Africa management team when necessary
- 8 years of paid IT work experience is required.
- 3 years of experience in IT Security is required.
- 2 years supervisory experience required.
- 2 years’ experience in managing, securing, maintaining and design of computer systems, preferably Windows based, is preferred.
- Experience in managing major IT projects is preferred.
Knowledge / Skills:
- Strong leadership skills and the ability to work effectively with business managers, IT engineering and IT operations staff.
- The ability to interact with CWS Africa personnel, build strong relationships at all levels and across all business units and organizations, and understand business imperatives.
- Knowledge and understanding of relevant legal and regulatory requirements, such as NIST, South Africa’s POPIA, Kenya Data Protection Act, Cloud Security Policy, among other relevant local or global laws, standards and regulations.
- Exhibit excellent analytical skills, the ability to manage multiple projects under strict timelines, as well as the ability to work well in a demanding, dynamic environment and meet overall objectives.
- Project management skills: financial/budget management, scheduling and resource management.
- Ability to lead and motivate cross-functional, interdisciplinary teams to achieve tactical and strategic goals.
- A strong understanding of the business impact of security tools, technologies and policies.
- Strong leadership abilities, with the capability to develop and guide information security team members and IT operations personnel, and work with minimal supervision.
- Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills, including the ability to communicate effectively with the IT organization, project and application development teams, management and business personnel; in-depth knowledge and understanding of information risk concepts and principles as a means of relating business needs to security controls; an excellent understanding of information security concepts, protocols, industry best practices and strategies.
- Experience working with legal, audit and compliance staff.
- Experience developing and maintaining policies, procedures, standards and guidelines.
- Experience with common information security management frameworks, such as National Institute of Standards and Technology, International Standards Organization (ISO) 2700, the IT Infrastructure Library (ITIL) and Control Objectives for Information and Related Technology (COBIT) frameworks among others
- Proficiency in performing risk, business impact, control and vulnerability assessments, audits, and in defining treatment strategies.
- Knowledge of and experience in developing and documenting security architecture and plans, including strategic, tactical and project plans.
- Strong analytical skills to analyze security requirements and relate them to appropriate security controls.
- An understanding of operating system internals and network protocols.
- Familiarity with the principles of cryptography and cryptanalysis.
- Experience in system technology security testing (vulnerability scanning and penetration testing).
- Familiarity in application technology security testing (white box, black box and code review).
- Strong, up-to-date knowledge in systems security and administration in a large network environment
- Strong Knowledge in intrusion prevention and detection systems (Cisco Firepower or any other)
- Strong Knowledge in data leak, loss and encryption methods (McAfee or any other)
- Thorough knowledge of computer licensing and legal requirements
- Knowledge in Linux servers administration is a plus
- Knowledge in software development languages (PHP, Java, C# and other scripting skills) and software design is a plus
Bachelor’s degree in IT field, or four (4) year’s work experience in IT in lieu if a bachelor’s degree required.
A Master’s degree is preferred.
Other advanced professional training in IT Security is required (NCSP, CISSP, GIAC, CISA, CISM) related or equivalent.
The Information Security Manager must have the ability to:
- discuss technical information with users of diverse technical levels and discern their needs;
- facilitate and negotiate;
- communicate technical reports effectively at any level;
- communicate effectively both verbally and in writing;
- follow instructions from the Supervisor with a positive and receptive attitude;
- deal effectively and courteously with a large number of associates, outside agencies, refugees and members of the general public;
- conduct oneself in a professional and courteous manner to represent the best interests of RSC Africa and CWS/IRP;
- maintain a high performance standard with attention to detail;
- carry out all of the duties of the position efficiently and effectively with minimal supervision;
- work independently and contribute to overall operations at management level;
- take initiative in the development and completion of projects;
- lead others and address issues as they arise;
- maintain strict confidentiality with RSC Africa administrative and operational information;
- manage a large and diverse workload under pressure with competing priorities;
- analyze and solve complex problems;
- work well as a team in a multi-cultural environment while maintaining a high level of motivation;
- effectively manage RSC Africa’s resources;
- actively participate in the implementation of the U.S. Government Operational Refugee Processing Program in Africa
- Strong English communication skills, both written and oral.
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural environment required.
- Commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion and willingness to support CWS’ Platform on Racial Justice as a CWS employee required.
- COVID Vaccination is strongly recommended for all successful candidates
- The candidate should be of good health, willing and able to travel extensively in often difficult conditions, and have a high degree of flexibility. Must have proof of Yellow Fever vaccination before traveling for RSC Africa
- This position is based in Nairobi, Kenya
- This position requires use of laptops at all time, competence in Microsoft office packages is required.
- This position may require travel in sub-Saharan Africa on short notice and under sometimes difficult conditions to meet demands of a dynamic operational program
- Background check which includes references and an educational and criminal check is required before the start of employment for International applicants.
- A valid passport and the ability to maintain a valid passport throughout the entire appointment is required, which includes having enough passport pages for travel.
- Physical: This position requires bending, squatting, crawling, climbing, kneeling, sitting, standing, walking, pushing/pulling, handling objects (manual dexterity), reaching above shoulder level, using fine finger movements and lifting/carrying heavy loads.
- Environmental: Incumbents in this position will be exposed to excessive noise, marked changes in temperature and/or humidity, dust and infectious diseases, harsh weather climates, long work hours, bumpy roads, extended travel, excessive sun exposure, and non-ventilated spaces.
- Full time
- All employees should be prepared to work from the CWS office within their location of hire. Remote work arrangements may vary depending on location and the governing rulings regarding the COVID-19 pandemic