Get a free C.V. review by sending your C.V. to firstname.lastname@example.org or click the following link. Submit C.V.! use the subject heading REVIEW.
IMPORTANT: Read the application instructions keenly, Never pay for a job interview or application.
Click the Link Below to Get Targeted Job Updates
Requisition ID: req29419
Job Title: Clinical Officer Ophthalmology
Employment Category: Fixed Term
Employment Type: Full-Time
Open to Expatriates: No
Location: Kakuma, Kenya
Working under the guidance of the Clinical Services Manager Offer ophthalmology care to patients accessing the hospital facility at Kakuma Hospital.
- Provision of ophthalmology consultations for patient accessing the camp hospital from both the refugee and host community
- Assessing eye acuity and prescription of eyeglasses for clients at the ophthalmology clinic.
- Perform Eye Cataract surgery on an elective basis and during periodic cataract camps organized by the organization.
- Accurately determining patients with conditions that require senior review and appropriately refer emergency cases within 24 hours and elective cases within acceptable time.
- Participate as a team leader during campaigns in the camp aimed at creating awareness on various eye conditions of public health importance e.g. trachoma, cataracts.
- Assist with OPD consultations.
- Organize regular on-the-job training sessions for the camp hospital staff in coordination with your supervisor and/or Clinical Services Manager.
- Carry out other relevant duties as may be assigned by the super visor- Clinical Services Manager.
- Monitoring and supervision of staff at the ophthalmology clinic to ensure work is done efficiently.
- Conduct regular on job training for incentive staff working in the clinic.
- Routinely measure staffs work performance based on their job description.
Communication and Reporting
- Generate weekly reports on activities taking place at the clinic and various challenges to be shared with the supervisor every week.
- Proper documentation of patients who require tertiary care and hence generate waiting list of clients that may necessitate a cataract or trachoma camp.
- Proper inventory management of ophthalmology supplies and equipment at the clinic
- Work closely with the pharmacist and supervisor to ensure ophthalmic drugs and supplies are ordered on time to avoid stock-outs.
- Participate in annual program planning and recommend budget revisions with focus on key areas of concern.
- Ensure program supplies are used appropriately for the targeted beneficiaries.
Key Result Areas:
- Proper identification and timely attendance to emergency cases to avoid visual loss.
- Performing visual acuity test for different clients with proper prescription of eyeglasses.
- Identification of cataract cases with proper intervention at the camp level.
- Proper coordination of trachoma and cataract camps organized at the camp level to ensure reach to most beneficiaries.
Higher Diploma in Ophthalmology from KMTC or any other reputable institution.
Required Experience & Competencies:
- At least two years’ experience working in a busy ophthalmology unit.
- Computer literate
- Team player and cultural sensitivity is required.
- Ability to work in hardship areas (Previous experience in a Camp setting will be an added advantage).
- Fluency in Turkana/Somali will be an added advantage
- Female candidates are encouraged to apply.
Standards of Professional Conduct: The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in the IRC Way – Code of Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Harassment-Free Workplace, Fiscal Integrity, Anti-Retaliation, Combating Trafficking in Persons and several others.
Gender Equality: IRC is committed to narrowing the gender gap in leadership positions. We offer benefits that provide an enabling environment for women to participate in our workforce including parental leave, gender-sensitive security protocols and other supportive benefits and allowance.
Kenyan nationals are encouraged to apply. International allowances are not available for this position. Salary and employee benefits are compliant to the Kenyan NGO Sector.
IRC is an Equal Opportunity Employer and considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability.
Please take note that International Rescue Committee (IRC) does not ask for any fees in connection with its recruitment processes.