Get a free C.V. review by sending your C.V. to email@example.com or click the following link. Submit C.V.! use the subject heading REVIEW.
IMPORTANT: Read the application instructions keenly, Never pay for a job interview or application.
Click the Link Below to Get Targeted Job Updates
With over 70 years of experience, our focus is on helping the most vulnerable children overcome poverty and experience fullness of life. We help children of all backgrounds, even in the most dangerous places, inspired by our Christian faith.
Come join our 34,000+ staff working in nearly 100 countries and share the joy of transforming vulnerable children’s life stories!
Job Title : National WASH and Construction Advisor
Reporting to : WASH Technical Manager
Grade Level : 16
Work Location : Nairobi
Purpose of position
Ensure effective technical leadership and proper coordination of all WASH & Engineering works that include, design & construction works, quality assurance in project supervision and monitoring to acceptable regulatory compliance, risk assessment and management for high quality projects to meet recognized standards, mentoring and building the capacity of WASH technical teams including PE registration process (where applicable) & full leadership in proposal development towards catalyzing, full attainment of child wellbeing aspirations. This role will contribute to increasing Water & sanitation coverage and hygiene promotion, and proper infrastructure development in efforts towards achieving SDG 6: to ensure availability and sustainable management of water and sanitation for all.
Technical Leadership, Coordination and Implementation (45%)
- Lead the engineering docket and provide overall technical leadership and timely delivery to the entire World Vision Kenya WASH & Non-WASH Constructions and ground Water Development works.
- Preparation of Feasibility Studies, Preliminary and Detailed Design as well as Design Reviews for water and sanitation infrastructures (intakes, boreholes, pumping stations, reservoirs, water distribution networks, treatment plants) and structural work.
- Preparation of tender Documents, BOQs, Specifications and Conditions of Contracts in line with FIDIC and use of Civil Engineering Standard Method of Measurement (CESMM), and World Vision WASH Business guidelines as may be applicable.
- Support in the registration of all World Vision Kenya WASH projects with NCA as required and ensure full handover of the project and detailed project documents to relevant stakeholders when completed.
- Provide innovative and technical support for effective implementation of all WASH grant/sponsorship projects and Construction. This include full technical leadership to WASH and construction coordinators in the 4 regions of World Vision Kenya.
- Support the implementation of approved Rural water management guidelines for improved governance and sustainability of World Vision Kenya Water supply projects.
- Provide technical leadership in water resource mapping, environmental protection and conservation through water shed & rangeland management, reforestation and other best practices.
- Coordinate in the development, approval and implementation of water safety plans and disaster risk management plans for water supply projects.
- Ensure that WASH business processes, standards and guidelines related to WASH and Construction initiatives are effectively applied in project implementation for all WASH construction projects in the country.
- Support development of technically sound funding proposals through provision of information & data and review in collaboration with Area program Managers and other sector specialists.
- Facilitates, coordinate and support the GIS processes & strategies and the continuous use of the mWater platform by all field level WASH staff for effective mapping and reporting.
- Where applicable (for PE); Certify all World-vision Kenya engineering/technical documents that required PE approval (from any agency) for processing and construction works as required e.g. NCA registration and approval of documents.
Project Effectiveness, reporting and Budget Utilization (35%)
- Oversee quality and effectiveness of WASH project activities as per the design and guidelines in full compliance with GOK, WHO, SPHERE, WASREB and other relevant partnership and international standards and guidelines;
- Ensure all WASH projects are design, planned and budgeted and delivered on time as per the procurement guidelines and their impacts meet or exceed planned outcomes and targets set.
- Ensure appropriate monitoring tools are developed, reviewed, approved and disseminated to all WASH colleagues for implementation
- Conduct frequent field monitoring visits to Area Programs with construction to ensure proper construction supervision and M&E frameworks adherence by technical teams. This includes other software components of WASH interventions.
- Monitor effective and efficient utilization of all WASH & construction budgets to meet the target impact numbers.
- Work closely with WASH regional coordinators and AP/project team leads to implement response plans regarding all financial and operational audit findings of the projects initiatives, and take the needed measures to prevent such findings from recurring in the future.
- Participate in enterprise risk management activities for all the WASH activities in the AP’s and develop & implement improvement action plans required.
- In liaison with the DMEAL and Other National Office WASH team, develop TOR and other tools for grant projects monitoring and evaluations as required.
- Review and consolidate monthly, quarterly, semi-annual, annual, and end of projects reports and ensure that the reports are prepared in a timely manner (as per schedule) and in accordance with donors and World Vision Kenya requirements/strategy.
- Document and disseminate lessons learnt and best practices on completed initiatives and projects.
- Facilitate regular WASH & Construction progress meetings in consultation with the 4 Regional WASH coordinators.
- Ensure proper acquisition, handling and maintenance of all WASH related WASH and ground water assets by designated staff at all times.
- Support APs in yearly planning and budgeting process, development and approval of procurement plans and effective reporting of impact numbers of the planned interventions for the year/project.
- Ensure all engineers at world-vision are registered with relevant bodies, have current practicing licenses, are on good standings and where applicable support in the PE registration process/plans. This includes availing all required assets, software’s and capacity building initiatives relevant for performance and professional growth.
Advocacy, Engagement and Partnership (15%)
- Foster linkage with relevant partners and other world vision support offices
- Collaborate with Ministry of Water, NCA, WASREB, EBK, KETREB and other relevant departments in providing technical support and assistance to the World Vision Kenya WASH projects and models.
- Represent World Vision Kenya in strategic WASH and Construction stakeholder forums/meetings at Global, National and County level.
- Support implementing staff to successfully engage with key internal and external stakeholders, including other World Vision Kenya entities, county governments, Community, church and other civil society representatives in order to maximize the impact of interventions
- In collaboration with Resource Acquisition and Management (RAM) department, participate in appropriate donor engagement activities.
- Support timely development of funding proposals in line with donor requirements and World Vision Kenya standards in collaboration with Area Program leadership, other NO WASH team members and RAM.
- Perform any other duties as may be assigned by the supervisor or designee from time to time
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Bachelor’s Degree in Civil Engineering/Water Engineering.
- Registered and member of EBK and IEK. Professional Engineer (PE) are highly encouraged as this will be an added advantage.
- Master’s degree in a relevant field as an added advantage
- Minimum 8 years’ overall experience in Engineering project design, tender development, procurement and evaluation, contract supervision, monitoring and evaluation & reporting on integrated development with bias in WASH projects. Minimum of 3 years (of the 8 years) in field construction and supervision of largescale donor funded water supply project.
- At least 3 years’ experience at a senior position providing technical leadership in WASH and construction activities in the water sector with multiple stakeholders and multi-layered teams.
- Proven experience in water supply, improved operational efficiency, Operation and Maintenance of water project, and implementation of water supply sustainable models for rural water management.
- Prior experience in engaging with donors, government institutions e.g. WASREB, WSTF etc and other WASH related civil societies on non-construction WASH related interventions.
- Result orientated leader who can handle heavy work load as well as manage and satisfy multiple and at times conflicting organizational, donor and other stakeholder demands,
- Expertise in onsite rural Sanitation and Hygiene works, Water resource management, rangeland management, disaster Risk Management and water safety plans for WASH projects. This includes Water Quality Testing, Monitoring and reporting.
- Good experience in construction contract project design and management – FIDIC and CESMM understanding.
- Excellent English communication skills (both oral and written).
- Knowledge and application of auto/arch CAD, Epanet and GIS
- Excellent computer skills, including proficiency in MS Office and Microsoft Outlook
- Ability to take initiative as team leader & able to work with minimum supervision
Applicant Types Accepted:
Local Applicants Only