IMPORTANT: Read the application instructions keenly, Never pay for a job interview or application.
Get a free C.V. review by sending your C.V. to email@example.com or click the following link. Submit C.V.! use the subject heading REVIEW.
Job Title: Finance Assistant
Organisation: Self Help Africa
Location: Baringo County
Restrictions: Fixed term, full time
Hours: 37.5 hours per week
Reports to: Project Accountant, with a matrix reporting to the Project Manager
Annual Consolidated Gross Salary: Kes.1,056,000/-
Benefits: 22 days annual leave, Medical Insurance, 10% Employer pension contribution and 25% leave allowance
Organisation Overview: About Self Help Africa & United Purpose
In late 2021 Self Help Africa (SHA) and United Purpose (UP) merged. The two organisations – one headquartered in Ireland and the other in Wales – implement projects to end extreme hunger and poverty.
This merger doubled our size and reach – and means that in 2022 we are implementing poverty eradication projects in 17 countries, mainly in sub-Saharan Africa. Collectively, we are also part of a group that includes social enterprise subsidiaries Partner Africa, TruTrade and Cumo Microfinance.
In 2022 our work will reach more than six million people and invest upwards of €45m in more than 100 development programmes designed to improve food systems, facilitate access to markets and financial services, combat climate change, gender inequality, and improve access to clean water, sanitation and hygiene.
This is an exciting time to join us as we unite two like-minded and entrepreneurial organisations seeking to tackle the global challenges in progressive and innovative ways.
The purpose of the Finance Assistant role will be to support the program team in logistics and operational duties. He/she will support in making payments will maintain high standard of accounting and financial control to ensure compliance with EU regulations
Financial & Grant Management
- Petty Cash management
- Review of staff returns
- Making payments to stakeholders, staff and beneficiaries during trainings and field activities through the bulk Mpesa app, supporting the project accountant
- Initiating payment vouchers and ensuring all payments are well supported in compliance in accordance with Internal and donor procedures
- Follow up of receipts from Vendors
- Checking of purchase requisitions
- Support the distribution of various items to beneficiaries
- Support the Project Accountant in Monthly review of project Anticipated Results
Management and Donor Reporting and Compliance
- Facilitate expenditure verification exercise and institutional audits
- Support in Budget preparations
- Support the Project Accountant in Preparation of donor financial reports
Office Administration and Logistics Management
- Oversee the office management processes and ensure the office environment is clean and organised
- Preparation and Maintenance of office vehicle ROTA and fuel card management and monthly reconciliation of fuel, in liaison with the Admin & Logistics Officer
- Preparation and organize the logistical arrangements of staff when going to the field
- Maintenance of office inventory records and fixed assets register, and the custodian of all physical inventory or project materials
- Physical asset verification and provide quarterly reports
- Facilitate the office correspondences received in hard copies and manage postage/courier services to Head office
- To help in securing quotations as and when required
- A Bachelor’s degree in Accounting / Finance and should have certified qualification (CA, ACCA, CIMA, CPA) and preferably, be a member of a recognized professional accounting institute
- Two years practical experience in Financial Accounting.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office, spreadsheet applications and computerized accounting systems
- Demonstrated operational and analytical skills including high level of organisational, problem solving and facilitation skills.
- Demonstrated experience in donor funded projects, undertaking risk assessments, internal audits and/or assessing internal controls.
- Results-orientated with excellent communication skills, as well as curiosity and initiative
- Proactive and motivated with a strong commitment to Self Help Africa’s vision, mission, and values
- Attention to detail and the ability to produce timely and accurate reports
- Ability to work as part of team across different cultures
- Good analytical skills
- Previous experience of managing EU and/or other donor funding
- Experience working with organisations in partnership arrangements
Download the Job Description
This Job Description only serves as a guide for the position available and SHA reserves the right to make necessary changes.
How to apply:
If you are interested in the position and have the right skills and attributes, please download the Application Form and fill it in. Upload this form along with your CV and covering letter to our Online Recruitment Platform.
If you are experiencing any problem with submitting your online application please visit this link for assistance: https://bit.ly/SHA_TechSupport1
Please note incomplete applications will not be considered for shortlisting.
Closing date is Wednesday 28th September 2022 at 5pm
Please note that Self Help Africa Kenya advocates for equal opportunity and does not require applicants to pay any fee at whatever stage of the recruitment and selection process. Canvassing will lead to automatic disqualification.
Self Help Africa is committed to the highest possible standards of openness, transparency, and accountability in all its affairs and is completely against fraud, bribery, and corruption. All employees are bound by code of conduct, child protection and conflict of interest policies.
Any candidate offered a job with Self Help Africa will be expected to sign Self Help Africa’s Safeguarding Policies and Code of Conduct as an appendix to their contract of employment and agree to conduct themselves in accordance with the provisions of these documents.
Police vetting is required.
All applicants are encouraged to read through the following safeguarding policies as you make your applications:
Women applicants are highly encouraged; Self Help Africa is an Equal Opportunities Employer