IMPORTANT: Read the application instructions keenly, Never pay for a job interview or application.
Get a free C.V. review by sending your C.V. to email@example.com or click the following link. Submit C.V.! use the subject heading REVIEW.
The African Academy of Sciences (AAS) is a non-aligned, non-political, not-for-profit pan African organisation headquartered in Nairobi, Kenya, whose vision is to see transformed lives on the African continent through science. Our tripartite mandate is recognising excellence through the AAS’s highly prestigious fellowship and award schemes, providing advisory and think tank functions for shaping Africa’s Science, Technology, and Innovation (STI) strategies and policies and implementing key STI programmes addressing Africa’s developmental challenges. The current strategy for the AAS focuses on five strategic focus areas: Environment and climate change, health and wellbeing, natural sciences, policy and governance and social sciences and humanities. The AAS’s mission is to leverage resources through excellence and thought leadership for sustainable development.
Vacancy Announcement No.: AAS/HRO/22/01
Position Title: Human Resources & Operations Officer
Department Human Resources
Position Location: Nairobi, Kenya
Reporting to Manager, Human Resources & Operations
Organization African Academy of Sciences
Duration: Fixed Term – 1 Year
AAS seeks a Human Resources & Operations Officer to join the HR & Operations department, the team responsible for people management at the AAS. He/she will assist with employee integration, health, safety and welfare, handling staffing issues up to separation and other operational issues within the AAS.
Duties and responsibilities
- Provide counselling on policies and procedures
- Support the development and implementation of HR initiatives and systems
- Being actively involved in the recruitment by preparing job descriptions in liaison with departmental heads, posting job adverts and ensuring the hiring process is transparent and within policy guidelines
- Provide clerical and administrative (operational) support to AAS employees
- Compiling and updating employee records (hard and soft copies).
- He/she will act as the liaison between HR and employees, ensuring smooth communication and prompt resolution of requests and questions.
- Coordinate HR projects (meetings, training, surveys etc) and take minutes.
- Manage employee pension and benefits administration
President: Prof Felix Dapare Dakora | Acting Executive Director: Prof Catherine Ngila
8 Miotoni Lane, Karen, Nairobi | Tel: +254 725 290 145 | www.aasciences.africa
The AAS vision is to see transformed lives on the African continent through science.
- Assist in payroll preparation by providing relevant data (absences, bonus, leaves, etc).
- Deal with employee requests regarding human resources issues, rules, and regulations.
- Conduct internal and coordinate external trainings with facilitators
- Coordinate communication with candidates and schedule interviews.
- Conduct initial orientation to newly hired employees.
- Uploading the (HRIS) data for accuracy and updating it from personnel files for completeness and accuracy ensuring employee database is updated.
- Collate required competency, experience, and individual staff qualifications from the personnel files.
- Reorganizing the staff files as directed and retagging in a retrievable manner.
- Assist in scanning of the personnel documents that will be used in the document management system (DMS) currently being implemented by ICT.
- Updating the staff files with all the DocuSign Documents and Other Documents.
- Updating the AAS staff Master List to ensure completeness and accuracy.
- Updating the AAS Master Leave Register ensuring accuracy.
- Any other duties that may be assigned to you.
Qualifications and competencies
- Bachelor’s degree in Commerce, Business Management/Administration with a bias in Human Resources or related (essential); Master’s degree an added advantage
- Exposure to Employment law and employment equity regulations.
- Must be a registered member of Institute of Human Resources Management (IHRM)/any other accredited HR Professional Institute
- Certified Human Resource Professional (CHRP) a prerequisite
- At least 4-5 years’ relevant experience in busy HR environment
This is a fixed term engagement. The successful candidate will be engaged full time (40 hours/ week) for a period of 1 year working at the AAS offices in Nairobi, Kenya.
Interested candidates are encouraged to submit their application attaching the Job Application Form (JAF) together with a one-page cover letter, curriculum vitae/ resume.
Applications should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject ‘HR & Operations Officer by 27 September 2022,17:00hours EAT. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.