Established in 2006, AGRA is an African-led and Africa-based institution that puts smallholder farmers at the center of the continent’s growing economy by transforming agriculture from a solitary struggle to survive into farming as a business that thrives. Together with our partners, we are working to sustainably grow Africa’s food systems.
AGRA strengthens seed systems, develops and promotes sustainable farming practices, helps unlock trade and markets, and supports governments who lead their countries’ development. We work with farmers to adapt to climate change, increase soil health, and protect the environment. AGRA believes deeply in the urgency of reducing the inequality that women face in agriculture, and to unlocking the power and innovation of youth.
To support the successful delivery, AGRA is seeking to recruit an experienced and exceptional individual to the role of Senior Partnerships Officer, Food Systems.
Senior Partnerships Officer, Food Systems- Job Reference: SPO/FSS/10/2022
The role will be based in Nairobi, Kenya.
At AGRA we believe Agriculture is the single greatest opportunity to deliver inclusive economic growth, jobs, and health to the African continent. An alliance led by Africans with roots in farming communities across the continent combined with an inclusive and diverse workforce from 24 nationalities. Our values of (I-RISE; Integrity, Respect, Innovation, Stewardship and Equity.) espouse our commitment to a call to action to go beyond ourselves as we arise and transform Africa’s Agriculture.
When you join us, we present you with intellectually stimulating assignments and structured career advancement. At AGRA, you will contribute to our Strategy to transform African food and agriculture. An attractive remuneration package with great benefits such as retirement contribution, medical and life insurance and provision of tools of trade that allow you to work productively commensurate with this position’s responsibility, scope and impact. We are looking for people who are passionate about Africa, curious and collaborative to join our innovative, growing, and multidisciplinary team.
The Senior Partnerships Officer for Food Systems will play a leading role in this AGRA Food Systems work leveraging partnerships and constituency engagement for priority objectives. S/he will engage with the finance community, private sector partners, producers, and other priority constituency groups to deepen partnerships and come through with accelerated action on commitments during the Food Systems Summit or new commitments made during follow-ups.
S/he will particularly shape strategies and engagement approach for AGRA to leverage multi-stakeholder partnership platforms to channel knowledge, action, and resources to priority opportunities, needs, and gaps of African countries in relation to Food Systems.
For more information on AGRA, please visit www.agra.org
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Leverage multi-stakeholder partnership platforms to channel knowledge, action, and resources to priority opportunities, needs, and gaps of African countries.
- Building around and on top of the Africa’s Food Systems Forum (AFSF) as the premier continental platform for food systems and agricultural transformation, strengthen AGRA’s engagement with partners across private sector, civil society, producer organizations, youth organizations, research institutions, and beyond by focusing their attention on priorities at country level.
- Deepen strategic partnerships with at least 5 top peer institutions carrying forward food systems action.
- Track and ensure follow-through of action plans and priorities for the next two years. In partnership with other AGRA units, this could include partner institutions such as the AUC/AUDA, the UN and its Rome-based Agencies (FAO, IFAD, and WFP), the World Bank, and the CGIAR
- Plug into multi-stakeholder food systems platforms on AGRA’s behalf to exchange knowledge and serve as a conduit to inform AGRA programs and share what AGRA programs are doing to advance shared country-led priorities.
- Devise strategies and engagement approaches with the Unit lead to best plug AGRA into multi-stakeholder partnerships and leverage them for impact on shared priorities in delivering on the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development and Africa Agenda 2063.
- Engage at the minimum with (i) the AFSFand nutrition thematic platform, (ii) the UN Food Systems Coordination Hub, (iii) the Food Action Alliance, (iv) the Food Forward Consortium, (v) the Food and Land Use (FOLU) Coalition, (vi) the One Planet Network Sustainable Food Systems Program, (vii) the Committee on World Food Security, (viii) the Just Rural Transition, (ix) the Friends of Food, (x) the World Business Council on Sustainable Development (WBCSD) and (xi) the Good Food Finance Network.
- Devise and advance cross-cutting opportunities to support an African-focused food systems champion network. In partnership with other African and global organizations working on follow up to the UN Food Systems Summit, seek to build on the experience of the Summit Champions Network and bring to bear the leadership of actors all across the continent and all parts of food systems.
- Work to unlock private sector investments aligned with investment plans and flagship initiatives.
- In collaboration with AGRA’s Partnerships Unit and external partnership network, the SPO-FS will identify key investment opportunities to unlock and engage in discussions with governments and partners to bring them to fruition.
- Cultivate new opportunities and work to share lessons and insights through the AFSF deal room and other knowledge-exchange opportunities critical for bringing public and private sector financing for food systems interventions at national, regional and continental level.
- Contribute to shaping and advancing AGRA’s food systems narrative position and priorities through the course of priority regional and global events. This includes the development and executive of engagements linked to major milestone moments, such as COP27 in Egypt, COP28 in UAE, the UN High Level Political Forums (HLPF), the CFS, and several other moments that can help advance the food systems agenda over the next two years.
- Advance AGRA’s thought leadership by showcasing models and lessons from work on food systems. In collaboration with other AGRA units, capture what AGRA is learning and delivering through each of these workstreams and document it for wider thought leadership.
Academic, Professional Qualifications and Relevant experience:
- A Master’s degree in a relevant discipline.
- Strong private sector experience in either agribusiness, finance or related sector at the global level to leverage on regional and global partnerships.
- 15 years’ post qualification experience, with proven experience in managing partnership networks with many constituencies.
- At least 5 years of senior-level experience in program management.
Fluency in English required. Knowledge of French and/or other official UN languages will be an advantage.
- Has experience in working on joined projects with governments, researchers, development partners in Africa and/or other regions of the world.
- Deep understanding of the Food Systems Agenda.
- Deep understanding of African Agribusiness trends, activities, investment related policies.
- Familiarity with agricultural development programs. Familiarity with other programs in climate, environment, nutrition, and other sectors will be an added advantage for building partnerships across food systems communities.
- Highly organized, results and detail orientated with a very hands-on approach.
- Strong relationship management skills.
- Excellent organizational, and problem solving/decision making ability.
Intelligent, motivated self-starter with a strong work ethic.
If you believe you are the right candidate for this position, kindly submit your application with a detailed CV (including your e-mail address and telephone contacts to firstname.lastname@example.org noting to quote the job reference number in the subject of your email)
To be considered, applications must be received on or before 28th October 2022.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
AGRA is an Equal Opportunity Employer