Seed/Plant Health Inspector – Grade KEPHIS 6 (12 positions) – Ref: VA/1/10/2022
a) Job Specification
Duties and Responsibilities: –
- Conducting pest risk analysis of plants, plant products, other regulated articles and biological articles and control agents, pest listing, reviewing and updating plant import requirements and issuance of plant import permits;
- Verification of applications by new clients and conducting
audits/inspection of facilities before registration;
- Carrying out inspection of imported seed, plants, plant products and other regulated articles or those intended for export at official entry points and issuance of phytosanitary certificates;
- Undertaking farm/facility audits/inspection of plants, plant products and other regulated articles destined for export;
- Undertaking seed certification activities including field inspection, sampling, post certification surveys and post control;
- Undertake training, assessment and audit of private persons undertaking authorized activities on behalf of KEPHIS;
- Undertaking National Performance Trials and Distinctness Uniformity and Stability trials;
- Processing and examining applications for Plant Variety Protection and
recommending grants of plant breeder’s rights;
- Implementing plant quarantine control and conducting pest surveillance, monitoring, emergency response, farmer advisory and reporting of new pests;
- Planning and execution if seedling nursery certification inspections to ensure timely audit of seedling nurseries and availability of clean seedlings;
- Undertake national, regional and international trade relations;
- Conducting inspection of bio-containment facilities, GMO approved activities and other facilities for compliance with phytosanitary and biosecurity requirements;
- Conducting market surveillance for GMO, biological products;
- Participating in activities for maintaining border security together with other government agencies by implementing various border surveillance strategies;
- Supporting development and implementation of training programs and curriculum on seed, phytosanitary, NPT and DUS matters for capacity building of KEPHIS technical staff and stakeholders to enhance staff competence and efficiency in service delivery;
- Participating in audits conducted by importing countries to ensure market access and bilateral negotiations and agreement drafting;
- Monitoring of databases for information security and accuracy and
participate in review and updating of electronic systems;
- Participate in development of regulations and policies on plant health
matters, seed certification and PVP to ensure proper regulatory framework;
- Participate in standards setting activities at national and international levels;
- Ensure management of WTO-SPS enquiry points for plant health to track notifications which have bearing on Kenya trade;
- Participate in activities to address phytosanitary, seed certification & PVP non-compliances for enhanced compliance;
- Participation in stakeholder activities at national and county level to
sensitize them on seed and phytosanitary certification and plant variety protection issues;
- Participate in research activities towards strengthening seed,
phytosanitary and plant variety protection regulation and bridging gaps in missing data;
- Participating in implementation and maintenance of Quality Management
Systems (ISO 9001:2015, ISO/IEC 27001:2013) for delivery of quality services and trade facilitation; and
- Participate in training, monitoring and audit of persons authorized to
undertake certain activities on behalf of KEPHIS.
b) Person Specification
For appointment to this grade a candidate must have: –
- Bachelor of Science in agriculture, biotechnology, entomology, crop protection, molecular biology, microbiology, Seed science, Horticulture, Agronomy, Botany or its equivalent from a university recognized in Kenya; and
- Meets the provisions of Chapter Six (6) of the Constitution of Kenya.
- Proficiency in computer applications. Literacy in statistical packages will be an added advantage;
- Excellent problem-solving skills;
- Communication skills;
- Data analysis skills;
- Analytical skills;
- Report writing and presentation skills; and
- Team player.
- Ability to work independently;
- Ability to make decisions independently
- Work well under pressure and prioritize work;
- Demonstrated results in work performance;
- Demonstrated knowledge in international standards and Quality Management Systems; and
- Demonstrated outstanding professional competence.
Interested and qualified individuals are hereby invited to submit their application letter, Curriculum Vitae, certified copies of the relevant certificates & transcripts and National ID card to the Managing Director – KEPHIS by 15th November, 2022 at 5.00 p.m.
The applications can be submitted in any of the following ways;
- Hard copy applications should be channeled to the address below, clearly indicating the vacancy number on the envelop. The same can either be sent by post or hand delivery to KEPHIS Headquarters at Oloolua Ridge, Karen;
- Soft copy applications can be sent through firstname.lastname@example.org
The vacancy number should be clearly indicated on the subject.
For detailed job description, requirements and instructions on how to apply, please click here to download.
All applications should reach the Service not later than 15th November, 2022 at 5:00 pm. Only shortlisted and successful candidates will be contacted. Canvassing in any form will lead to automatic disqualification.
KEPHIS is an equal opportunity employer and selects candidates on merit through fair and open competition from the widest range of eligible candidates. Persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
PROF. THEOPHILUS M. MUTUI (PH.D)
You must be logged in to post a comment.