Title: Supply Chain Officer – Maternity Cover
Save the Children has been operational in Kenya since the 1950s, providing support to children through developmental and humanitarian relief programmes delivered both directly and through local partners. Current programming focuses on child protection, child rights governance, education, health, HIV/AIDS, livelihoods, nutrition and WASH. In 2012, as part of a global reorganization process, Save the Children combined the programmes of SC UK, SC Canada and SC Finland to create a single operation in Kenya. In Feb 2014, we completed a second transition, which saw us join forces with the British INGO, Merlin, and merge their health and nutrition programmes with our own. Save the Children now has an operational presence in Bungoma, Dadaab Refugee Camp, Garissa, Mandera, Turkana and Wajir and a footprint in Kakamega, Kisumu, Migori and Kitui. In 2016, Save the Children established a new project office in Madagascar whose operations are managed by the Kenya CO. In total, we employ around 250 staff in both countries and had an operating annual budget in 2017 of approximately US$22million.
The role will work with the Supply Chain Coordinator and the Supply chain team to build the programmes Supply chain and operational capacity to plan and manage programmes resources and assets efficiently and effectively, assist the programmes meet their commitments and deliverables to their beneficiaries and donors.
By providing support to programme Supply chain on the specific aspects of Supply chain and programmes delivery, it is expected the Supply chain Officer will be able to help programmes to:
- Identify significant reduction in their operational running costs through the utilization and allocation of resources and helping programme implement effective recharge mechanisms
- Improve accountability to donors and beneficiaries through implementation of regular reporting and strong control mechanisms.
SCOPE OF ROLE:
Reports to: Supply chain Coordinator
Staff reporting to this post: None
Contract Duration – 6months
Number of Vacancies: 1
Work Location: Nairobi
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY:
- The Supply chain officer will ensure procurement, transport and distribution, warehousing and stock management and assets activities are carried out as per the SCI Supply chain Policies.
- Ensure proper reporting of all Supply chain Activities in a timely manner and in line with financial control mechanisms for Procurement and support management of stock, and assets.
- Consolidate and review the monthly Supply chain reports documenting action points and timelines to achieve them as well as follow ups.
- Assist the Supply chain Coordinator in providing inductions to updates to Supply chain and programmes teams on Supply chain procedures and procedures.
- Develop together with support of supply chain coordinator, performance objectives and indicators as well as personal development goals.
- As a point person, ensure timely supplies of programmes materials to various field offices.
- Working with the Supply chain Coordinator in determining the sources of supply of goods and services to meet programme needs.
- Develop and consolidate procurement plans and schedules with various project managers and ensure they are adhered to.
- Support management of programmes stocks, ensuring proper storage of stocks, stock levels are maintained in relation with programmes consumption.
- Consolidate and plan for transportation of project supplies to various field offices in a timely, reliable and cost effective manner
- Support in managing the incoming and outgoing stock according to the warehousing and stock Management standards.
- Support the appropriate storage and physical condition of stocks according to their specific requirements
- Assist in ensuring all stock are accounted for and dispatched with appropriate and relevant documentations and authorizations.
- Assist in ensuring that all project supplies are tracked using appropriate variables/criteria from point of dispatch to distribution/delivery.
- Assist in ensuring all stock movements are documented using SCI documents (GRNs, Waybills, Stock Releases, Stock Cards, Stock Reports)
- Assist in preparing and circulating the warehouse report on a weekly basis to the relevant budget holders and programme staff.
- Assist in ensuring all stock discrepancies/damages are properly documented, investigated and reported to budget holders and Supply chain Coordinator.
- Assist in Organizing and planning for the transportation of project supplies to the various field offices.
- Assist in ensuring warehouses are kept secure at all times and are maintained, clean, well -organised and pest free.
- Support in managing the incoming and outgoing stock according to the warehousing and stock Management.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- First degree in Logistics Management, business administration or related area
- 4 years prior experience in logistics management in the NGO sector, within country programmes and in emergency response/humanitarian environments
- Proven experience in all technical areas of logistics operations including procurement, transport/distribution, warehousing and stock management, fleet management, asset management, communications, and security
- Experience of working in remote field bases with limited infrastructure
- Experiencing in managing, and supervising and training staff in supply chain
- Ability to prepare Supply Chain reports
- Ability to synthesise and analyse information, and make clear, informed decisions
- Ability to build relationships quickly with a wide range of people, both internally and externally
- Strong planning, management and coordination skills, with the ability to organise a substantial workload comprised of diverse tasks and responsibilities
- Cultural awareness, with strong written and spoken communication and interpersonal skills
- Willingness to work and travel in often difficult and insecure environments;
- Fluent in English, both written and oral; Local language skills a major advantage.
- Technical experience/training in specific areas of Supply chain eg fleet mechanics, IT/communications networks
- Technical experience/knowledge in specific types of humanitarian intervention e.g. Child protection, Education, Health, WASH, Food Security, Construction
- Experience working with ERP system
- Fluent in English and Swahili
BEHAVIOURS (Values in Practice)
- Holds self-accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values.
- Holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities – giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved.
- Sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves and their team, takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages their team to do the same.
- Widely shares their personal vision for Save the Children, engages and motivates others.
- Future orientated, thinks strategically and on a global scale.
- Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, Members and external partners and supporters.
- Values diversity sees it as a source of competitive strength.
- Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to.
- Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions.
- Willing to take disciplined risks.
- Honest, encourages openness and transparency; demonstrates highest levels of integrity.
We employ approximately 25,000 people across the globe and work on the ground in over 100 countries to help children affected by crises, or those that need better healthcare, education and child protection. We also campaign and advocate at the highest levels to realise the right of children and to ensure their voices are heard.
We are working towards three breakthroughs in how the world treats children by 2030:
- No child dies from preventable causes before their 5th birthday
- All children learn from a quality basic education and that,
- Violence against children is no longer tolerated
Save the Children is an equal opportunity employer and seeks to employ and assign the best-qualified talent.
Deadline: 24 Nov 2022 – 02:59 EAT
Female Candidates are encouraged to apply.
Save the Children International does not charge any kind of fee at whichever stage of the recruitment process, nor request for medical examination or records and does not act through recruitment agents whatsoever.