Work Location: Nairobi with 80% Field visit(Dagahaley & Mombasa)
Duration: 6 Months
Start Date: January 2023
Application deadline: 25th November 2022
Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is an international independent medical humanitarian action-driven organization, which offers assistance to populations in distress, to victims of natural or man-made disasters and to victims of armed conflict, without discrimination and irrespective of race, religion, creed or political affiliation. 26 associations, 23 sections, and 16 branch offices make-up the international movement and work in partnership around 6 operational entities.
The selected candidate will be reporting to Logistics Coordinator
Planning, coordinating, implementing and monitoring all logistics activities in the project related to Water, Health and Sanitation, according to MSF protocols and standards in order to ensure an optimal running of the project.
In collaboration with the Project Coordinator and the Logistics Coordinator, planning, elaborating and reviewing the annual budget for the Watsan activities in order to identify and give a response to the needs of the mission and the targeted population.
Monitoring on a day-to-day basis the implementation of the Watsan activities in the project ensuring compliance of MSF standards, protocols, and procedures, and reporting to the Project Coordinator on the development of the ongoing programmes including the following:
- Designing, implementing, and managing all Watsan interventions in the project. (including, but not limited to water supply, excreta disposal, waste management, hygiene, and infection control.
- Conducting routine Watsan assessments in collaboration with project medical teams to identify Watsan needs at project level and making recommendations for response activities to the line manager (e.g. Project/Field Coordinator, Watsan Coordinator/Referent/Focal Point). Ensuring the Watsan contribution to the development and planning of emergency response strategies and resources, in collaboration with the medical and logistical teams.
- Ensuring availability, proper purchasing, and appropriate technical specifications of required materials and equipment through planning, organizing and overseeing the inventory of the Watsan stock.
- In collaboration with the Project Coordinator, Logistics Coordinator and the HR Coordinator, participating in the planning and implementation of HR associated processes (recruitment, training, briefing/debriefing, evaluation, detection of potential, development and communication) of the staff under his/her responsibility in order to ensure both the sizing and the amount of knowledge required to correctly perform all logistics activities pertaining to his area
- Providing technical support to the medical team in identifying possible “risk factors” (e.g. behavioural practices, environmental sources of infection, and transmission routes) and offers solutions for infection control. Actively contributing to the integration of Watsan activities in the medical intervention offering project proposals and work plans.
- Ensuring proper collection and monitoring of Watsan data. Ensuring multidisciplinary data availability. Providing analysis of data and regular reporting of results (as requested by line management)
- Technical referent in terms of Water, Hygiene and Sanitation, Planetary Health and Biosecurity in the fields where he/she intervenes.
- He/She elaborates the national policies, guidelines, and standardization of a common practice in his/her area of specialization and validating budgets and all the means for the preparation of any technical activity related to his/her domain.
- In liaison with the coordination teams and field managers, he/she assesses the needs and determines the activities to be carried out, the necessary resources (financial, human, material) by setting the priorities of the projects.
- Assists in the definition and sizing of the facilities to be built according to the assessed needs.
- Ensures consistency between activities and MSF standards.
- Communicates with the representatives of the different Wash organizations: NGOs, UN, Government. Ensures good coordination with other actors and implements advocacy actions decided with the coordination.
- Participate in any relevant WASH Sectorial meeting at field or national level (National Ebola Task Force, Dagahaley Coordination meetings, etc)
- Following up and reporting on the works’ progress and on technical aspects of the work, participating in monthly reports at coordination level according to guidelines.
- Participate in the exploration missions to identify WASH needs and draft the proposal/intervention strategy.
- Participates in the EPREP wash and support Supply Kenya Intersection department (SKID) team for technical validation, inventories, etc.
- In collaboration with the medical department, in case of any epidemic context change, revise the IPC measures for MSF projects (Covid, Cholera, Ebola possibly) and possibly MoH structures.
- Give trainings in accordance with MSF OCG defined protocols and policies.
- Coach/Give support to the Log manager/Watsan supervisors (especially first missions) and plan any Wash relevant trainings.
- Participates in the definition of objectives and evaluate the Watsan supervisors (possibly Watsan Managers).
- Validation and proposal of the HR set up according to the evolution of the mission and the activity and the need of skills.
- Essential:Academic background Diploma or bachelor’s in public health engineering /environmental science or an equivalent relevant training.
- Watsan in Emergencies Training within MSF is strongly recommended.
- Essential :Previous experience in technical aspects of water and sanitation works.
- Minimum of 6-months of hands on field emergency WHS professional experience in a humanitarian or international development setting
- Desirable: experience in or familiar with implementing and promoting the use of two or more of the following activities (water supply, excreta disposal, waste and waste water management, vector control, and dead bodies management) in two or more different contexts (conflicts, natural disasters, refugee/IDP camps, etc.)
- Desirable: public health background or experience
- English and Swahili
- Fully conversant with NEMA acts regulations
- Proficiency in one technical drawing applications
- Project management
- People Management and Development L2
- Commitment to MSF Participles L2
- Behavioural Flexibility L3
- Results and Quality Orientation L3
- Teamwork and Cooperation L3
If you meet the above requirements, Please submit your application by 25th November 2022
We apologize that due to the volume of application we receive, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
(MSF is an equal Employer and does not charge any application/recruitment or training fees)