Get a free C.V. review by sending your C.V. to firstname.lastname@example.org or click the following link. Submit C.V.! use the subject heading REVIEW.
IMPORTANT: Read the application instructions keenly, Never pay for a job interview or application. DO NOT USE THE SUBMIT CV LINK TO APPLY FOR A JOB!
Click the Link Below to Get Targeted Job Updates
What will you do:
Strategic Leadership (40% time):
- Lead development of pillar workplans, vision, theory of change, and strategy for WRI’s Africa Energy Strategy Energy Access Energy Transitions Energy Finance Execute and oversee Africa engagement, sub-national government partnerships, and energy system innovation.
- Translates project strategies into annual work plans, objectives, and key results to guide implementation
- Manage a growing Africa Energy team—currently 8 staff including 4 direct reports. The team is planning to expand to 12 staff by the end of 2023
- The Energy lead is responsible for project implementation to ensure that desired results are achieved in a timely manner
- Establish and maintain relationships with key stakeholders, including government, private sector, non-profit, academia, funders, and other stakeholders
- Engage WRI’s Senior Leadership and other Directors to ensure that WRI’s Africa Energy work is contributing to WRI’s overarching Africa objectives; identifies opportunities to collaborate with other WRI Programs, Centers, and International Offices to achieve these objectives
Strategy and Program Management (30% time):
- Assume overall responsibility for project finances with support from Global Energy Program Operations Manager and Program Director
- Proactively identify and address opportunities and threats to the project arising internally or externally, including by adjusting strategies and management approaches
- Define project success criteria, monitors, and evaluate performance, and communicates progress to internal and external stakeholders and leaders
- Participate in the WRI Africa office management and contribute to WRI Africa development in line with the WRI strategy. Lead conflict resolution with project funders, partners, stakeholders, and staff
Research, Knowledge & Engagement (30% time):
- Shape Africa Energy program research and thought leadership efforts to demonstrate solutions for an affordable, urgent low-carbon energy transition Identifies and advances new lines of research and analysis relevant to the project’s influence strategy and objectives
- Author or co-authors knowledge products (e.g., reports, briefs, data products, tools)
- Ensure that all knowledge products produced by the Africa Energy team meet WRI’s high standard of quality, including through oversight of the peer review process
- Work with the Africa Energy team and communications staff to ensure a compelling and consistent message from our work as a key strategy for impact Identify new and existing donors and cultivate them to be part of WRI’s mission to transform the energy sector
- Represent WRI as a thought leader in media interviews, high profile speaking events, and workshops with partners
- Engage with WRI Board members and other senior leaders in the energy field to communicate WRI’s work and collaborate on strategy
What will you need:
- Education: You have a completed Bachelors degree in a related field, preferably with coursework in international development, environmental policy, and environmental science
- Experience: You have a minimum of 12+ years of full-time relevant work experience in the energy field, with 10+ years of program implementation and project management experience
- Deep experience working on energy markets, energy technology, and energy policy
- Experience building partnerships and engaging with diverse stakeholders—including governments, civil society, and companies—from global to local scales
- Proven track record of fundraising success at a multimillion-dollar scale.
- Track record in publishing high-quality quantitative research and analysis
- Strong writing, presentation, and interpersonal communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills with experience in cross-cultural communication and engagement with diverse constituencies
- Languages: You have written and verbal proficiency in English required, French language skills highly desirable.
- Requirements: Existing work authorization is required at the time of application submission. WRI is unable to sponsor any visa work sponsorship.