IMPORTANT: Read the application instructions keenly, Never pay for a job interview or application.
Get a free C.V. review by sending your C.V. to email@example.com or click the following link. Submit C.V.! use the subject heading REVIEW.
Action Against Hunger-USA is part of the Action Against Hunger International network, which provides humanitarian relief in more than 50 countries worldwide in the sectors of nutrition, health, water/sanitation, and food security. Action Against Hunger-USA, an independent NGO, currently manages programs in 7 countries: Ethiopia, Kenya, South Sudan, Somalia, Tanzania, Uganda, and Haiti. Action Against Hunger-USA implements more than $60 million in programs annually, and approximately 1,500 permanent employees based in New York City, Washington D.C, Nairobi, and country offices. Additional growth is anticipated.
In Kenya, Action Against Hunger has been present in Kenya since 2001 and is a transformative leader in nutrition security for improved quality of life among vulnerable communities. Action Against Hunger wants to contribute to the optimal functional performance of National, County, and Community systems through strategic partnerships for innovative nutrition-sensitive and nutrition-specific interventions to achieve its impact. The organization recognizes gender equality as central to its core strategy towards the realization of effective and sustainable outcomes on nutrition, WASH and surveillance interventions. Action Against Hunger is currently implementing activities in West Pokot, Mandera, and, Isiolo counties.
Summary of position
We are looking to fill the position of Meal Assistant to be based in West Pokot County under UNICEF Project. The role of the MEAL Assistant is to spearhead monitoring and evaluation activities in the County. The position holder together with the MEAL Officer will work closely with local government officials and partners to track the implementation activities in a timely manner and meet the required standards at the base level while offering technical MEAL support in generating evidence, monitoring implementation, implement accountability mechanism and support base teams in the development of learning documents.
The MEAL Assistant role has the following purpose, engagement and delivery:
The MEAL Assistant will support the direct implementation of all MEAL processes and activities in their office under the supervision of the MEAL Manager and with guidance from their MEAL Officer. To support the generation of evidence at the base level in Program Monitoring process, Evaluation activities, Accountability mechanisms and Learning products at the designated field base.
The Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning (MEAL) Assistant will work closely with the MEAL Manager, MEAL Officer and other Program team members and contribute in the development of high-quality monitoring tools, promoting accountability to affected populations, documenting lessons learned from program activities, and assisting in project evaluations.
The MEAL Assistant is responsible to conduct training enumerators and overseeing post distribution monitoring, hosting quarterly learning processes with office staff, overseeing the office feedback and complaints response mechanism, and reporting the results of MEAL activities to the MEAL Officer and program team. The MEAL Assistant will manage the day-to-day MEAL functions at their base office and support the MEAL Officer in the development of MEAL tools and implementation of MEAL activities.
- Essential job functions
Survey and surveillance Activities
- Support MEAL Officer/manager in data collection of the integrated nutritional surveys and other survey activities in collaboration with the local authorities and relevant government ministries ensuring adherence to Government of Kenya procedures/protocols/guidelines designed methodology, reporting process, etc.
- Support in Strengthening the capacity of staff, Ministry of Health, and other partners in surveys methodologies, processes to include sampling, data collection, analysis and report writing skills
- Work with MEAL manager/Officer to carry out relevant surveys and routine surveillance activities. This includes and is not limited to Baselines, Edline, context monitoring and post distributing monitoring surveys.
- Define and implement the key project performance indicators (KPI) as well as monitor them throughout the duration of the projects.
- Provide feedback to the Project Managers on project strategies and activities to include suggesting strategies to the Project Management for improving the efficiency and effectiveness of the project by identifying bottlenecks in completing project activities and developing plans to minimize or eliminate such bottlenecks.
- Assist in Monitoring and Evaluating and reviewing work plans and targets accordingly throughout project implementation.
- Contribute towards the operationalization of internal project feedback mechanism and project related accountability.
- Management of data reporting cycle by generating internal data reporting calendar, data collection process, data analysis and data sharing/dissemination.
- Assist the project managers in collating quantitative and qualitative reports generated monthly, quarterly, half-yearly and annual on the progress of the project activities.
- Maintain project specific databases and ensures all MEAL related data, reports, and records are clearly organized archived in a central location for future reference.
- Ensure the quality of data (timeliness, integral, reliable, valid and complete) shared/disseminated and that it is verifiable.
- Supporting program staff to generate and submission of accurate and timely data.
- Analyze data submitted on a monthly basis and develop key descriptive statistics from each group’s activity and progress.
- Work with MEAL Manager/officer to ensure data management during the data cycle that will be within relevant timelines so that the information can be useful for programmatic and strategic decision making for Program staff, support staff, partners and local government officials.
- Conduct spot-checks to confirm reported activities, reported datasets as a means of program implementation quality assurance. This can be done collaboratively with partners or local government officials where applicable.
- Supervisory Responsibilities
- Coordinate enumerator/team leads activities during deployment of assessments or routine data management.
- Train/refresh base program teams on MEAL routinely or on demand.
III. Fiscal Responsibility
- Raise MEAL activities monthly budget requests.
- Participate in development of assessment budget plans.
- Track/analyze Project budget expenditure versus performance.
- Physical Demands
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to sit for long periods and to concentrate on work, including typing, and turn out heavy volumes of work accurately, within short time frames under stressful situations in the context of a moderately noisy office with many interruptions. Must be able to proofread own work accurately so that only minor corrections are needed on an infrequent basis.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Working Conditions, Travel and Environment
- The duties of the job require regular job attendance at least five days per week. Must be available to work outside normal office hours or on the weekends as required.
- Must be able to travel as required for standard domestic and international business travel as well as to the country offices if appropriate. Based on the country office needs, the time spent on field trips will be a minimum of a 30% of his/her working time. While visiting the field, the employee may be exposed to precarious settings under high security risks and/or very basic living conditions and outside weather conditions, as well as o infectious diseases.
- The employee will regularly travel to various field sites within the base as required by the MEAL activities demands.
- Gender Equality Commitments & Zero Tolerance to Abuse
- Foster an environment that reinforces values of women and men, and equal access to information.
- Provide a work environment where women and men must be evaluated and promoted based on their skills and performance.
- Promote a safe, secure, and respectful environment for all stakeholders, particularly for children, beneficiaries, and members of staff.
- Help to prevent any type of abuse including workplace harassment and sexual abuse and exploitation.
- Respect beneficiaries’ women, men, children (boys and girls) regardless of gender, sex orientation, disability, religion, race, color, ancestry, national origin, age, or marital status.
- Value and respect all cultures.
VII. Required Qualifications and Professional Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field such as Monitoring and Evaluation, Statistics, Epidemiology, Public Health, International Development / other fields of social sciences.
- Minimum 2 years of work experience in a similar position with a similar setting and responsibility.
- Demonstrated experience in developing project monitoring and evaluation systems.
VIII. Required Skills & Competencies
- Knowledge of analytical methods both qualitative and quantitative approaches (data analysis, documentation, interpretation and reporting).
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Knowledge of deploying feedback mechanisms for multi-sector programs working through county systems.
- Skills in statistical analysis using Excel and Epi-Info / ENA, as well as at least one other software platform such as SPSS, STATA, or PSPP.
- Previous experience in Arid and Semi-Arid lands of Kenya
- Experience in Nutrition and food security surveillance including collection and management of anthropometric and mortality data
- Competitive salary
- Medical cover
Target Date 11/27/2022