Get a free C.V. review by sending your C.V. to firstname.lastname@example.org or click the following link. Submit C.V.! use the subject heading REVIEW.
IMPORTANT: Read the application instructions keenly, Never pay for a job interview or application.
Starting Salary: Kshs. 332,288 per month
The holder of the position is a member of senior management team and is expected to ensure organizational efficiency and effectiveness. The role shall be responsible for effective financial and operational management in accordance with AAIK and AAI policies, regulations and international accounting standards and to provide accurate and timely financial information to AAIK management and other stakeholders.
Responsible for monitoring financial and operational management and performance of all programs/projects/sub-units and partners in the country, ensuring compliance with global standards, systems and processes, and law of land as well as donors’ rules on financial management.
Provide strategic financial support to the Country SMT in strategic planning, reporting, analysis and risk management. In addition, the Head shall be responsible for supervision of information technology, procurement and logistics functions in the organization.
Values Practice & Strategy Change Priorities
- Leading Innovation and Change – Establish a culture of excellence in respective to a team that values experimentation and continuous improvement.
- Feminist Leadership – Championing feminist leadership principles and values including commitment to diversity and inclusion (race, gender, power)
- Child protection and safeguarding –Embed AAIK and sector’s approach to child protection and Safeguarding is embedded in all initiatives holistically.
- AAIK Values Practice – Ensure a personal and team culture that demonstrates all of AAI’s Values including: Mutual Respect, Equity and Justice, Integrity, Solidarity with people Living in Poverty and Exclusion, Courage of Conviction, Independence and Humility
Organisational and Corporate Development
- Contribute to the development and achievement of the AAI’s strategic objectives including Country Strategy development.
- Ensure that the long-term financial strategy of the country programme is viable.
- Keep the other members of the AAIK Management Team informed about financial matters.
- Establish and develop close communication links with the Global Secretariat Team.
- Ensure compliance & stay current with international, regional, local legal & statutory requirements.
- Filing of returns and other reporting requirements to regulatory agencies.
Financial Accounting and Reporting
- Formulation and implementation of the AAIK’s finance and accounting policies and procedures in compliance with international accounting standards (IAS/IFRS).
- Formulation and implementation of an effective system of internal control that safeguards and ensures optimal utilization of AAIK assets and resources and prevents fraud and irregularities.
- Ensuring the organization’s assets and liabilities are safeguarded and recorded correctly.
- Ensuring prudent financial management in the Organization; Giving guidance in all financial and accounting matters
- Overseeing custody and control of accountable documents
- Ensuring timely reconciliation of accounts, expenditure control and payment of suppliers
- Overseeing timely preparation and payment of employees’ salaries, tax and other statutory deductions
- Ensuring production of accurate and timely financial and management reports to the board, ED, management, donors, and AAI in compliance with international Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS), local accounting regulatory body (ICPAK) requirements and ActionAid International Financial Policies and Management Framework
- Production of statutory financial statements and reports in accordance with IFRS.
Cash & Treasury Management
- Ensure AAIK has sufficient cash within the head office and field offices to enable effective implementation of programme work and meet immediate obligations
- Manage exchange to ensure losses are minimized when making foreign currency sales; Advise management of any adverse economic status especially where major currency losses may be realized; and
- Ensure AAIK has sufficient reserves in compliance with AAI reserve requirements and to ensure financial stability.
- Coordination of annual budgeting and forecasting in accordance with AAIK and AAI guidelines and procedures in furtherance of the CSP implementation
- Preparation of consolidated detailed and summary annual expenditure budgets that aid management and board in making necessary decisions and in compliance with AAI requirements.
- Lead the organization in allocation of financial resources including both sponsorship income and partnership incomes to ensure financial stability and good liquidity of the organization.
- Production of two-year financial plans within the prescribed timetable.
Procurement, Administration & Information Technology
- Lead formulation and implementation of policies, systems and procedures governing administration, procurement, logistics and front office operations within the organization in order to promote organizational efficiency and effectiveness.
- Oversee outsourced services.
- Lead the provision of logistic services in the organization; and availing necessary administrative requirements to every office.
- Oversee the formulation, interpretation and application of IT policies, procedures, rules and regulations.
- Provide appropriate information and guidance on emerging and best practices in IT
- Oversee the organization’s network and liaising with IT suppliers and support services provider
Fundraising and Donor Grant Management
- Participate in development of fundraising proposal/s from the beginning of the process, especially preparation of budget proposals and contract negotiations.
- Review and approve all donor proposal budgets to ensure the projects’ viability, reasonability and effective financial resourcing.
- Ensure full compliance to financial requirements of all donor contracts.
- Ensure all projects reasonably contribute to financing of the organizations’ core functions of the organization.
- Review and sign off on the budget proposal developed by AAIK.
- Ensure that reports are submitted to the donor on a timely basis, in the format agreed with the donor and that all other reporting requirements are adequately adhered to.
- Donor grants and contract management.
Partner development and management
- Assessment of the financial management capability of potential partner NGOs, including their internal control systems, documentation and capacity to report on expenditure before long-term relationships are entered into
- Development and implementation of an accounting and reporting system between partners and AAIK
- Undertake partners capacity building in Financial Matters and governance.
- Development of close communication links with the finance and administrative staff of partner NGOs and development of their financial capacity in a systematic way
- Continuous review of partner expenditures on a regular basis
- Ensuring that the external and internal audit reports of partner NGOs are reviewed and acted upon as necessary
System, Policies and Procedures Management
- Continuously review, evaluate, develop and implement an internal control system to maintain the financial integrity of AAIK.
- Ensure the Development, implementation and evaluation of financial management systems to maintain the financial integrity of AAIK.
- Interpret and comply with established AAI corporate Policies and Financial Management Framework (FMF).
- Develop, review, revise and interpret to users and keep updated the LFPPM developed within the overall framework and structure of the FMF and Local laws.
Annual Planning and Budgeting
- Provide Guidelines on financial and operational planning process related to staff and to all budget holders
- Coordinate income allocation process as per national RAF.
- Co-ordinate the annual budgeting, forecasting and planning exercise and ensure that these are consistent with guidelines and procedure agreed with AAI and in accordance with specific needs of AAIK.
- Review detailed expenditure budgets and consolidated summary budget tables and ensure that they are consistent with the information and formats provided by the Regional Office and AAI.
- Coordinate with Sponsorship Department and produce on an annual basis a forecast of sponsorship income for the following period.
Audit and risk management
- Ensuring that financial statements and schedules are prepared for internal or external auditors as required
- Ensuring sufficient audit trails are maintained for all transactions at the AAIK
- Draft the ToR for external audit and provide support to internal and external auditors
- Follow up and implementation of agreed recommendations by both internal and external auditors
- Coordinate the Risk Register development process and update it on quarterly basis.
- Assess risks associated with long term financial plan.
- Liaise closely with both the internal and external auditors to ensure that audit timetables and guidelines are adhered to.
- Provide department oversight and directly supervise staff by reviewing individual work plans.
- Ensuring efficient and effective management of staff within the Department taking into account staff skills.
- Undertake performance appraisal for staff in the Department and initiation of correction actions for identified gaps
- Facilitate and provide induction, training, coaching, mentoring and advice within the Department and to partners
- Participate in Board and committee meetings and give necessary support and information.
- Perform other functions that will be assigned by the Executive Director from time to time.
Approximate number of people managed in total 4
Education & Certifications
- Bachelor of Commerce Degree or its equivalent from a recognized University;
- Have MSc or MA in Business management from a recognized University;
- Be a Certified Public Accountants (CPA (K)) or ACCA (final) or its equivalent
- Have at least Eight (8) years working experience in financial management and accounting work in an INGO or a large organization of which at least three (3) years must have been at management position.
- Is a member with good standing of relevant professional body e.g. ICPAK;
- Experience in preparing and analysing financial reports and plans and drawing insight for use by management and different donors.
- Have experience in development and implementation of financial systems and operations.
- Have practical experience in donor grants management & reporting, management reporting and statutory reporting in compliance with IFRS.
- Experience in providing support and training.
- Experience and knowledge of Kenya country and context will be an added advantage.
- Knowledge, practical application of GAAP.
- Strong financial expertise and familiarity in management and accounting practices at a senior management level.
- Sound practical knowledge of accounting systems (preferably SUN) and use of spreadsheets
- A good understanding of human rights, women’s rights, and socio-economic justice
- Excellent negotiation and communication skills, including demonstrated ability to handle sensitive negotiations on matters affecting AAIK staff.
- Strong leadership and management skills
- Strong analytical/problem solving, and management of crisis, conflict and risk
- A strong commitment to embedding feminist leadership and AAIK’s humanitarian signature.
How to apply
Please send your CV and cover letter to hresources.Kenya@actionaid.org by close of business on 26th January 2023. You are requested to highlight in the cover letter how you specifically meet the criteria for this role. ENSURE TO CLEARLY INDICATE WHICH POSITION YOU ARE APPLYING FOR IN THE SUBJECT LINE.
Due to high volumes of applications received, we can only correspond with short listed applicants. ActionAid International Kenya promotes diversity and welcomes applications from all section of the community.
Female candidates are highly encouraged to apply