School Carpenter, Aga Khan Schools, Mombasa
Aga Khan Education Services
The School Carpenter position reports directly to the Facilities Manager and works closely with the all Head teachers by providing services and support when required. The Carpentry role requires an individual with great hand dexterity and an eye for detail. He/she will be required to undertake carpentry and joinery work within the schools.
- Maintain workshop inventories of tools and materials in the workshop and ensure sufficient materials are in place.
- Observe and ensure health and safety procedures are practiced and enforced and incidents reported to the Facilities Manager.
- Prepare requisitions for consumables to ensure the are replenished in a timely manner and organized in a way that they are easily traced.
- Prepare maintenance schedules for all the workshop equipment for approval by the Facilities Manager and maintain requisite records on servicing schedule on various equipment and machinery to ensure the schedule is adhered to.
- Advice the Facilities Manager on the budgeting requirements of the workshop to ensure that all the requirements of the workshop are budgeted for.
- Segregate non-functional equipment and machinery to promote safety in the workshop.
- Provide procurement specifications for workshop equipment to be purchased to ensure purchase of the correct equipment/machinery.
- Report breakdown of machinery and equipment to the facilities manager to advice on replacement needs.
- Support maintenance activities based on the requests from the Facilities Manager.
- Carry out repair work all repair works on furniture, doors, windows and any wooden materials belonging to AKESK schools in Mombasa
- Handle all maintenance requests requiring repairs or changes to existing structures as assigned by the Facilities Manager.
- Make different kinds of furniture/Joinery with good finishes
- Carry out painting and varnishing work to any given item or building.
- Ensure appropriate use of electrical equipment for carpentry i.e planners, circular saws, jigsaws and sanders, routers, drills e.t.c.
- Ensure general cleanliness of the workshop and equipment and provide a conducive work environment.
- Government Grade 111 certificate in Carpentry and Joinery or an equivalent
- Good physical condition and endurance
- Good Computer skills
- A minimum of 5 years working experience, preferably in the private school.
- Experience working in a complex company environment with matrix reporting.
- Excellent understanding of carpentry techniques and methods of installation and construction.
- Proficient in using electrical and manual equipment and measurement tools
- Ability to read technical documents and drawings
- Willingness to follow safety guidelines at all times.
- Good understanding of basic math
About the Agency
The Aga Khan Education Services (AKES) is one of the largest private, not-for-profit, non-denominational educational networks in the developing world. AKES currently operates over 200 pre-primary, primary, secondary, and higher-secondary schools and programmes in diverse geographic locations in Afghanistan, Bangladesh, India, Kenya, Kyrgyzstan, Pakistan, Tajikistan, Tanzania, Uganda and the United Arab Emirates. Schools offer their respective country’s national curricula; some schools in East Africa and Bangladesh also offer international curricula (IB and British). AKES employs over 3,500 teachers and educates over 89,500 students. More information…
Application closes on 2 December 2022.