CHILD PROTECTION OFFICER
Duty Station: Lokichoggio, Turkana West.
Project Sites: Lokichoggio, Nanam, Songot & Kalobeyei wards
Issue Date: 15th November 2022
Reporting to: Programme Coordinator
JOB PURPOSE: Reporting to the program Coordinator, the Child Protection Officer will be responsible for supporting the line government departments, child protection structures within the sub County, and local stakeholders in planning, coordinating quality, and timely roll out of a functional Formal child protection system at various levels. He/she will be responsible for building and maintaining effective interfaces with government authorities and partners as well as a broader network of stakeholders who can contribute towards increased resilience in health, Child Protection and food security in Turkana west Sub-county, Turkana County.
Strengthening Child Protection Structures (Formal and informal)
- Strengthening the Child Protection Systems/ Support the key persons within the ward level government responsible for child protection build their capacities to take on their role and responsibilities as described in the Legal framework, National Framework for Child Protection and child protection system guidelines.
- Support the Chiefs, Village administrators/ Child Protection Volunteers responsible for child protection within locational/ ward to work with the child protection structures and other key actors to: identify opportunities to prevent, respond to and integrate child protection into other sector activities;
- Work with child protection actors within the ward level to assess their capacity needs, and develop plans to develop their capacity; Map out priority protection gaps and identify key resources and assets, including existing child protection systems (both formal and informal).
- Support the key government child protection responsible persons and child protection structures and actors to develop quality standards for child protection service providers, and case management and referral system.
Networking and fundraising
- Build relationships with the government officials within the ward level, Local NGOs, CBOs and community leaders and attend important county, sub-county and community planning meetings that result in better working relationships.
- Promote and facilitate active participation from key actors from the relevant government departments and local stakeholders in child protection systems strengthening.
- Facilitate the development of an agreed interagency collaboration framework on child protection systems strengthening.
- Represent the organization in meetings, conferences and networks as assigned
Project Development, Management and Implementation:
- Support Project local capacities in programme/project development through technical advice on participatory community engagement, Sub County level consultation and project design.
- Coordinate with local partners and staff for required input into supporting Project implementation.
- Relationship and team building with local partners, community and non-government partners.
- Responsible for effective use and control of project resources such as vehicles.
- Ensure that women’s rights are at the center of our integrated resilience work Partnership Management:
- Facilitate setting up of systems and procedures for better management of resilience Project, especially for monitoring and reporting.
- Identify any emerging opportunities for wider partnerships in the Livelihoods/Child Protection & health resilience thematic area.
- Undertake regular and mutually agreed review visits to the Project sites and provide guidance on enhancing the quality of programmes.
- Identify local capacity building and training needs of the community and take initiatives to get them addressed.
- Be proactive in linking the organization to partners and vice versa in supporting partners programme implementation.
- Bring up major concerns about operations to the notice of Programme Coordinator for remedial action.
Monitoring and reporting
- Prepare reports on progress and finances of project activities based on agreed upon timelines
- Prepare quarterly and annual child safeguarding reports and submit the report to the project Coordinator.
- Lead in establishment of a strong and reliable child safeguarding reporting and responding procedure.
- Follow up on reported Child Safeguarding concerns and incidents together with the project team and other appropriate child protection structures in the community.
- Review the reports from programme and local partners, collate lessons learnt, success factors and facilitate the dissemination as necessary.
- Prepare and submit the requisite project reports in a timely manner
- University degree in Social Sciences , Development Studies, Public Health or related disciplines
- At least two years of demonstrated experience in child protection programs/ Knowledge of child protection case management processes;
- Ability to network with various partners, including government children’s services/ Experience working with communities and vulnerable groups;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
Knowledge, skills and competencies
- Ability to conceptualize, strategize and coordinate implementation of programs.
- Practical and theoretical knowledge of participatory approach in development work and in the management, planning, implementation and evaluation of child protection programs.
- Critical understanding of children issues from a child rights perspective and an understanding of child protection systems.
- Computer literacy (MS Office programmes, Internet).
- Ability to motivate and guide staff particularly in non-line-management relationships.
- Dedicated to duty and results oriented.
- Social skills for initiating and managing relationships with project partners and stakeholders.
Applicants should include a cover letter, detailed CV detailing work history and current responsibilities, salary history, educational certificates, and three references. Only individuals who meet the above-mentioned qualifications will be considered.
Please send your application to:
The Executive Director, AIC Health Ministries,
NOT later than 27th November 2022 Applications can also be sent through Email: email@example.com