Get a free C.V. review by sending your C.V. to firstname.lastname@example.org or click the following link. Submit C.V.! use the subject heading REVIEW.
IMPORTANT: Read the application instructions keenly, Never pay for a job interview or application. DO NOT USE THE SUBMIT CV LINK TO APPLY FOR A JOB!
Click the Link Below to Get Targeted Job Updates
Org. Setting and Reporting
The United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) is the United Nations system’s designated entity for addressing environmental issues at the global and regional level. Its mandate is to coordinate the development of environmental policy consensus by keeping the global environment under review and bringing emerging issues to the attention of governments and the international community for action.
UNEP’s Early Warning and Assessment Division (EWAD) is responsible for analyzing the state of the global environment, providing early warning information and assessing global and regional environmental trends to catalyze and promote international cooperation and action on the environment. These 3 positions are located in the Big Science Branch of the EWAD at the Nairobi duty station.
Under the direct supervision of the Chief, Global Assessment Unit, the incumbents will be responsible for the following duties:
- Works with Scientific Assessments Branch and partners to facilitate the development, implementation and evaluation of global and thematic assessments, including:
- Monitors and analyzes specific aspects of programme/project development and the implementation of global and thematic assessments coordinated in the Branch. reviews relevant scientific, technical, and operational documents and reports.
- identifies problems and issues to be addressed and recommends corrective actions; liaises with relevant parties; identifies and tracks follow-up actions;
- Carries out basic research on selected aspects of global and thematic assessments, operations, and other activities, to include collecting, analyzing and presenting statistical data and other information gathered from diverse sources.
Provides substantive support for global and thematic assessment and related policy coordination and evaluation functions, including:
- Review and analysis of emerging global and thematic issues and trends, participation in evaluations or research activities and studies related to scientific reports.
- Supports in performing consulting assignments as related to the assessments coordinated in the Branch, in collaboration with the key clients, by planning facilitating workshops, through other interactive sessions and assisting in developing the action plan the team will use to manage the change.
- Contributes to the preparation of various written outputs, e.g., draft background papers, analytical notes, sections of reports and studies, inputs to publications, related to the assessments coordinated in the Branch
- Provides administrative and substantive support to the global and thematic assessments consultative processes and other meetings, conferences, outreach activities, to include:
- Participation in the organization and delivery of training workshops, seminars, participates in and makes presentations on assigned topics/activities.
- Support the organization and coordination of international events, including provision of substantive and administrative support, data collection.
- Coordinates activities related to the global and thematic assessments budget funding (programme/project preparation and submissions, progress reports, financial statements) and preparation of related documents/reports (pledging, work programme, programme budget.), and performs other duties as required.
- Contributes to the collection and analysis of data as well as identification of trends or patterns and provides draft insights through graphs, charts, tables and reports using data visualization methods for data-driven planning, decision-making, presentation and reporting.
- PROFESSIONALISM: Ability to perform a broad range of administrative functions, e.g., budget/work programme, human resources, database management. Ability to apply knowledge of various United Nations administrative, financial and human resources rules and regulations in work situations. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work. The ability to analyze and interpret data in support of decision-making and convey resulting information to management.
- PLANNING & ORGANIZING: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
- TEAMWORK: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
- Advanced University degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in any area of environmental sciences, or a related field. A first level university degree combined with an additional two (2) years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- Successful completion of both degree and non-degree programs in data analytics, business analytics or data science programs is desirable.
- A minimum of two years of progressively responsible experience in project/programme management, administration or related area is required.
- Experience in the design and coordination of environmental scientific assessments, preferably at the international level, is desirable.
- One (1) year or more of experience in data analytics or related area is desirable (none if successful YPP or P-1 with a related degree).
- English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the position advertised, fluency in English (both oral and written) is required. Knowledge of other UN official languages is desirable.
Closing Date : 29 November 2023