IMPORTANT: Read the application instructions keenly, Never pay for a job interview or application.
Get a free C.V. review by sending your C.V. to email@example.com or click the following link. Submit C.V.! use the subject heading REVIEW.
Senior Economist for Climate Security
The Alliance of Bioversity International and the International Center for Tropical Agriculture (CIAT) delivers research-based solutions that harness agricultural biodiversity and sustainably transform food systems to improve people’s lives. Alliance solutions address the global crises of malnutrition, climate change, biodiversity loss, and environmental degradation.
With novel partnerships, the Alliance generates evidence and mainstreams innovations to transform food systems and landscapes so that they sustain the planet, drive prosperity, and nourish people in a climate crisis. The Alliance is part of CGIAR, a global research partnership for a food-secure future.
Through the development of CGIAR FOCUS Climate Security, CGIAR aims to unpack the linkages- and address knowledge gaps- with regards to the relationship between climate change and food security to leverage CGIAR expertise for peace and security outcomes. Using a multidisciplinary methodological approach, our main objective is to generate and align climate security-sensitive climate, land, food, and water systems science and evidence with ongoing efforts to address socio-political security, stability, and peace in the realms of policy, programming, and finance.
About the position
CGIAR FOCUS Climate Security is looking for a highly talented Senior Economist with a strong background in quantitative analyses to lead the economic and econometric analyses within the Evidence 4 Climate Security research area. This research area aims to understand the complexity of climate and security for informed decision-making that is gender-sensitive and socially equitable. It will help unpack the main impact pathways that link climate, agriculture, and security in different geographies to enrich our knowledge of the complex, context-specific, socially variable, and dynamic pathways through which climate affects the risk of conflict.
- Lead the economic and econometric analyses to quantify the indirect impact of climate on conflict.
- Lead on the conceptual and theoretical development of innovative approaches to quantifying the indirect effect of climate extremes and variability on conflict, by exacerbating existing socio-economic risks and insecurities, such as food and nutrition insecurity, inequality, forced displacement, migration, etc.
- Supervise and support ongoing economic and econometric analyses workstreams within the CGIAR FOCUS Climate Security research initiatives
- Support the global rollout of the Climate Security research.
- Support the global and regional partnerships by managing and developing institutional relationships and joint initiatives with select country offices and regional bureaus
- Communication and collaboration with the development economics, econometrics, and impact evaluation communities, as well as policy- and decision-makers from relevant country and regional level institutions and bodies
- Design, conduct, write, and disseminate high-quality research and communicating research findings through research papers, journal articles, reports, policy briefs, and other outlets
- Support scientific/proposal writing, reporting, and fundraising
- Supervision of and collaborate with research assistants, junior researchers, research assistants, visiting researchers and/or students
- Reporting/communication to supervisor and donors and discover/respond to tendering processes
Qualifications and requirements:
- A PhD in Economics, Development Economics, Statistics, and related fields
- At least 2 years of experience in conducting economic research, using large-scale socio-economic datasets such as LSMS and DHS
- Experience with international research for applied research and development programs
- Experience in international, multi-cultural settings and in interact with researchers, policymakers, donors, and civil society across a wide range of contexts
- Proficiency in using STATA, R, and/or Phyton
- Proficiency in handling high-resolution climate data for econometric analysis
- Extensive experience in fieldwork and data collection
- Experience in carrying out cost-benefit analysis is desirable
- A record of publications commensurate with the length of time worked in research
- Proven ability to work and deliver when leading teams
- Proficient in oral and written English. Further language proficiency being an advantage, in particular French Excellent report writing, communication, and project management skills
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work in a team-oriented, multi-cultural environment
- Strong conceptual thinking to develop innovative research approaches
Terms of employment
This is an internationally recruited position and will be based in Nairobi (Kenya), but we could consider Pretoria (South Africa), Cairo (Egypt) or Dakar (Senegal) or Rome (Italy). The initial contract will be for two (2) years, subject to a trial period of six (6) months and is renewable based on performance and availability of resources. This is a position at level BG09, on a scale of 14 levels, with level BG14 being the highest.
The Alliance of Bioversity and CIAT offers a multicultural, collegial research environment with competitive salary and excellent benefits. We are an equal opportunity employer, and strive for gender, diversity, and inclusion in our staff, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, marital status, or any other characteristic.
Please apply online through the website (https://alliancebioversityciat.org/careers) not later than 30th November 2022, attaching a cover letter illustrating your suitability for the above position against the listed qualifications, competencies, skills together with a detailed curriculum vitae, including names and contact information of three referees knowledgeable about your professional qualifications and work experience. Both documents in English. Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Closing date for applications: 30th November 2022
Please note that email applications will not be considered
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted
We invite you to learn more about us at: http://alliancebioversityciat.org