Off-grid Energy Development Experts, Power Africa Enhancing Development through Energy in East and Central Africa
Chemonics International seeks technical experts with experience working on East and Central African energy projects such as mini-grids, metro-grids, SHS, and PUE for the anticipated USAID-funded Enhancing Development through Energy in East and Central Africa program (EDEECA). The purpose of the program, part of the Power Africa initiative, is to program is to increase the availability of and access to affordable, reliable, sustainable, and clean energy in East and Central Africa to reach measurable economic growth, development outcomes, such as reducing poverty, improving livelihoods, and increasing inclusive access to electricity enabled services in such areas as health, education, sanitation, and food security.
The potential objectives of the activity are to:
- End energy poverty by increasing access to affordable, reliable energy which can support increased economic activity and improved living standards.
- Increase the supply of electricity in East and Central African countries through clean energy solutions.
- Remove constraints to investment in East and Central African energy sectors and to increase innovation.
Specifically, Chemonics seeks expressions of interest from individuals with experience in one or more of the following areas:
• Mini-grid and metro-grid development
• Off-grid business models, including Pay-as-you-go
• Productive Use of Energy
• Policy and enabling environment development for off-grid development
Off-grid Energy Development Experts will provide technical support to increase the share of renewable energy in generation mixes, reduce grid losses, and optimize off-grid power supplies within and across borders in the activity’s target countries. The Experts will also work to improve the efficiency and productivity of mini-grids, metro-grids, SHS, and PUE.
- Support implementation and modernization of off-grid technologies.
- Support strategy development to engage communities on off-grid power usage.
- Provide expertise and input to local and regional governments to ensure effective implementation of off-grid energy supply systems.
- Drive partnerships with private sector to improve adoption of renewable off-grid energy technologies including solar, wind, and hydropower, and geothermal.
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering, similar field, or equivalent work experience.
- Minimum five years’ experience implementing energy programs. Sub-Saharan Africa work experience is preferred.
- Excellent analytical abilities, written and oral communications skills.
- Fluency in English or local languages required depending on work location.
- Demonstrated ability to promptly address ad hoc requests.
Please apply by using this link. Applications must be submitted by December 24, 2022. Early applications encouraged. No telephone inquiries, please.
Chemonics is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in its selection and employment practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, or other non-merit factors.
COVID-19 Recruitment Information:
Chemonics International is monitoring COVID-19 activity around the world. The health and wellbeing of our staff is of the utmost importance to us, and we continue to hire for all open roles with interviewing and on-boarding done virtually.