Get a free C.V. review by sending your C.V. to firstname.lastname@example.org or click the following link. Submit C.V.! use the subject heading REVIEW.
IMPORTANT: Read the application instructions keenly, Never pay for a job interview or application.
Click the Link Below to Get Targeted Job Updates
Position Title: Caseworker
Reports To: Field Processing Supervisor
Division: Immigration & Refugee Program
Department: Programs, Field Processing
Job Location: Nairobi, Kenya
Grade Level: Grade 4, Senior Assistant, National
Introduction: Church World Service (CWS) is a not-for-profit, faith-based organization transforming communities around the globe through just and sustainable solutions to hunger, poverty, displacement and disaster. CWS does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, gender identity, genetic information, age, disability or veteran status in employment or in the provision of services.
This position is responsible for implementing all United States Refugee Admissions Program (USRAP) Field Processing activity at RSC Africa, ensuring that RSC Africa processing priorities and targets are met, that standard operating procedures are strictly followed and integrity maintained throughout the process.
1. Achieves and maintains a high performance standard based on a thorough knowledge of, and adherence to, established Church World Service Resettlement Support Centre (CWS/RSC Africa), Department of State (DOS), United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), and Refugee Processing Centre (RPC) policies and procedures regarding current refugee processing eligibility criteria, database, and file management guidelines, the role of US Resettlement Agencies and refugee producing country conditions.
2. Travels throughout Sub-Saharan Africa, as assigned, or works remotely to conduct resettlement interviews with refugee applicants, collecting biographical information and establishing refugee claims, in a dignified and professional manner.
3. Conducts the AOR Screening and Pre-screening interviews, either in person or remotely, per the daily minimums set by Field Processing Department Management, in a non-confrontational, objective, and dignified manner. This includes:
• Determining case composition and ensures all refugee cases are cross-referenced according to established standard operating procedures.
• Establishing the validity of an applicant’s identity through verification of all demographic and biographic information including, but not limited to, names, nationalities, birth dates, and locations of all immediate family members in order to complete the refugee case history as required.
• Collecting all identity information including photographs, height, and weight.
• Documenting applicant’s persecution claim.
4. Analysing, evaluating, and assessing the eligibility of refugee applicants for final adjudication by USCIS officers.
4. Prepares cases for USCIS, including reviewing physical file and START database.
5. Assists in Adjudications Circuit Rides, which includes completing post-Adjudication review updating fingerprints, and preparing and distributing decision letters.
6. Runs Quality Check reports to ensure complete and accurate files, as well as identifies and correct processing errors prior to USCIS adjudication.
7. Works with other Programs departments as necessary to properly update cases.
8. Assists as needed in preparing for and execution of circuit rides. This may include but is not limited to; requisitioning supplies, assisting GSO in preparation, packing of files, contacting interpreters, clean up at the end of the circuit ride, and other tasks as assigned by the Supervisors.
9. Completes and updates all case files and all database records.
10. Writes deferrals and info memos for referring agency action, as required.
11. Conducts file reviews in accordance with RSC and USCIS guidelines, paying close attention to detail.
12. Assists in various administrative tasks including but not limited to: research, locating files, data entry, and case analysis.
13. Analyses complex cases in consultation with Supervisors in accordance with established policies and procedures, while remaining open to supervisory direction.
14. Trains new staff as required and contributes to the development of Field Processing Department training procedures and their implementation.
15. Contributes to the development and updating of processing guides for the Field Processing Department in coordination with Supervisors, Managers and Coordinators.
16. Undertakes other duties as assigned by CWS/RSC Africa Management.
• Four (4) years paid work experience required
• Casework or previous resettlement/humanitarian experience is preferred.
• Strong verbal and written English language skills;
• Second language is an advantage; Somali, Tigrinya, French, Amharic, Kinyarwanda or Arabic are preferred;
• Demonstrated computer skills, especially Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint;
• Strong organizational and time management skills;
• Meticulous attention to detail.
• Manage large and diverse workload under pressure with competing priorities.
• Maintain the integrity of official records;
• Analyse and solve complex problems and make sound decisions;
• Work with minimal supervision
• Maintain a high performance standard with attention to detail;
• Work independently and contribute to overall operations of RSC Africa;
• Actively participate in the implementation of the U.S. Refugee Admissions Program (USRAP);
• Accurately type 40 WPM at 96% accuracy;
• Pass the quarterly job knowledge assessments with a score of 80% or higher;
Education & Certifications:
Bachelor’s Degree is required (or 4 years of work experience in lieu of a bachelor’s degree.
• Strong English communication skills, both written and oral.
• Ability to work in a multi-cultural environment required.
• Commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion and willingness to support CWS’ Platform on Racial Justice as a CWS employee required.
• Full Time – Minimum of 37.5 hours per week.
• Full COVID Vaccination is strongly recommended for all successful candidates
• The candidate should be of good health, willing and able to travel extensively in often difficult conditions, and have a high degree of flexibility. Must have proof of Yellow Fever vaccination before traveling for RSC Africa.
• This position is based in Nairobi, Kenya
• This position requires use of laptops at all time, competence in Microsoft office packages is required.
• This position may require travel in sub-Saharan Africa on short notice and under sometimes difficult conditions to meet demands of a dynamic operational program.
• Background check which includes references and an educational and criminal check is required before the start of employment
• A valid passport and the ability to maintain a valid passport throughout the entire appointment is required, which includes having enough passport pages for travel.
• Physical: This position requires bending, squatting, crawling, climbing, kneeling, sitting, standing, walking, pushing/pulling, handling objects (manual dexterity), reaching above shoulder level, using fine finger movements and lifting/carrying heavy loads.
• Environmental: Incumbents in this position will be exposed to excessive noise, marked changes in temperature and/or humidity, dust and infectious diseases, harsh weather climates, long work hours, bumpy roads, extended travel, excessive sun exposure, and non-ventilated spaces.
• All employees should be prepared to work from the CWS office within their location of hire. Remote work arrangements may vary depending on location and the governing rulings regarding the COVID-19 pandemic