IMPORTANT: Read the application instructions keenly, Never pay for a job interview or application.
Get a free C.V. review by sending your C.V. to firstname.lastname@example.org or click the following link. Submit C.V.! use the subject heading REVIEW.
Join CIMMYT and make a difference!
Senior Research Analyst, Kenya (RFP-100316)
About our organization:
The International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center, known by its Spanish acronym, CIMMYT® (www.cimmyt.org), is a not-for-profit research and training organization with partners in over 100 countries, and through offices in Africa, Asia and Latin America. Through strong science and effective partnerships, we create, share, and use knowledge and agricultural technologies to increase food security, improve the productivity and profitability of farming systems, and sustain natural resources in developing countries. We participate in an extensive global network of people and organizations who share similar research and development goals, including the public and private sector, non-governmental and civil society organizations, farmers, and the development assistance community.
CIMMYT is hosted by World Agroforestry (ICRAF), a member of the CGIAR that is headquartered on United Nations Avenue, Nairobi, Kenya.
CIMMYT is looking for a:
Senior Research Analyst – Kenya
CIMMYT is seeking an experienced professional to support the Accelerating Genetic Gains in Maize and Wheat project (www.csisa.org) project funded by the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation and the US Agency for International Development to implement an integrated Monitoring and Evaluation Plan.
Summary of responsibilities
- Support in developing research designs for a variety of projects.
- Designing data collection instruments/protocols and training of consultants, field supervisors, and enumerators.
- Data cleaning and management.
- Statistical and econometric analysis of households, agro – dealers, and traders surveys.
- Support with design and analysis of qualitative surveys including (KIIs, FGDs).
- Writing and editing of research reports, policy notes, academic papers, and other documents.
- Liaising with partners and consultants ensure quality of all the data collected under such partnerships.
- Responding to urgent requests for rapid analytics by the PIs, project teams, donors, and other stakeholders.
- Training and mentorship of other research assistants in the program.
- Master’s degree or PhD in agricultural economics, development economics, statistics, or a related field.
- Ten years of work experience involving research data management, analysis, and writing, and demonstrated excellence in research.
- Demonstrated capacity to analyze and utilize policy-relevant information from a broad range of sources on agricultural production and marketing.
- Experience using statistical packages mainly Stata and others such as SPSS and R.
- Familiarity with theoretical and technical issues related to agriculture, economic development, poverty, food security, and/or nutrition in Kenya and the rest of East Africa.
Personal attributes and competencies
- Strong analytical skills and ability to process both quantitative as well as qualitative information.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including gender sensitivity.
- Ability to work in multi-disciplinary and multi-cultural teams as well as to develop strong and effective working relationships with partners.
- Ability to travel and undertake fieldwork in rural conditions.
- Good working knowledge of Microsoft packages and electronic communication tools.
- Good written and oral communication skills in English.
- Proficiency to use standard software at an advanced level.
- Minor programming using macros, mail merge, designing customized reports, developing audio visual presentations.
- Provides services or information, the quality and timeliness of which are important to enable the delivery of other functions, units, or individuals.
- Attention to details ensures errors can be corrected with moderate costs and/or delays.
- Ability to prioritize and allocate work to others and supervises 1 to 10 Staff members.
- Manages own work and small projects related to own work; adapts plans and priorities to meet service and/or operational challenges.
Terms and conditions
- This is a Locally Recruited Staff (LRS) position and on competitive remuneration in local currency, commensurate with skills and experience.
- The appointment will be for a period of three (3) years, inclusive of a six-month probationary period, with the possibility of extension contingent upon performance, continued relevance of the position and available resources.
- The duty station will be in Nairobi, Kenya.
- The application deadline is 05 December 2022.
- CV and Cover Letter should be in PDF and Labelled with the applicants First and Second Names.
- We will acknowledge all applications but will only contact short-listed candidates.
CIFOR-ICRAF is an equal opportunity employer. Staff diversity contributes to excellence.