Get a free C.V. review by sending your C.V. to email@example.com or click the following link. Submit C.V.! use the subject heading REVIEW.
IMPORTANT: Read the application instructions keenly, Never pay for a job interview or application. DO NOT USE THE SUBMIT CV LINK TO APPLY FOR A JOB!
Click the Link Below to Get Targeted Job Updates
The United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) is the leading global environmental authority. It sets the global environmental agenda, promotes the coherent implementation of the environmental dimension of sustainable development within the United Nations system, and serves as an authoritative advocate for the global environment. This consultancy is in UNEP’s Industry and Economy Division, Energy and Climate Branch, Climate Change Mitigation Unit, Africa team, and will be home based.
UNEP’s Industry and Economy Division works with a portfolio of Global Environment Facility (GEF) medium-size and full-size climate change mitigation projects in Africa. The projects, which are in different stages of development (concept, design, implementation, closure), are executed by different partners (Ministries, NGOs, etc.). The Industry Economy Division, in its role as implementing agency, provides oversight and ensures adherence to GEF guidelines.
Under the supervision of the Task Manager for Africa for GEF mitigation projects, and in coordination with the Africa mitigation team, the consultant will execute the project preparation process (incluing developing the full CEO endorsement request package) for the Senegal CBIT project.
Specific tasks and responsibilities
For the development of each CEO endorsement request packages:
- Lead the preparation of the CEO endorsement document and its attachments.
- Be responsible for the design of all substantive elements of the CEO endorsement document and its annexes, including sections such as the log frame, budget, indicators, baseline scenario, alternative scenario, stakeholders, risks, consistency with national priorities, institutional arrangements, gender action plan, knowledge management, theory of change (ToC), and monitoring and evaluation.
- Prepare an outline of the strategy and methodology to develop such elements, including a provisional timetable.
- Organize and undertake a country scoping mission (in person or online) and stakeholder consultation workshop (first country mission) to consult with the relevant national counterparts, discuss the baseline situation, map the gaps and barriers, collect relevant country data, agree upon a project intervention logic (log frame and Annex A results framework) and discuss initial institutional arrangements for execution. The discussion on potential co-finance contributions to the project should be initiated during this mission.
- Prepare a mission report including main findings on scope and stakeholder consultations (following first country mission).
- In consultation with the government, establish project and program specific indicators in Annex A.
- Align substantive elements of the project with national strategic and planning documents.
- Inform UNEP on the status of work and highlight, in a timely manner, risks related to the quality of the information received and the fulfillment of the project’s development schedule.
- Prepare a first draft of the CEO Endorsement Package, including relevant annexes (annexes to be included in the first draft will be discussed and agreed upon with the Task Manager)
- Prepare and organize in close coordination with the national counterparts a stakeholder validation workshop (second country mission) to validate the developed CEO Endorsement Document (log frames, results framework, budget, workplan, gender action plan, etc.) with key country counterparts.
- Undertake a gender analysis, ensure project deliverables are gender sensitive and prepare a gender action plan.
- Prepare a mission report and validation workshop report summarizing the findings, recommendations and decisions taken during the workshop, and the participants’ list.
- Lead the discussion of co-finance contributions, validate the amount and nature of contributions, identify to which project Component(s) the contribution is allocated, complete the co-finance budget template and provide any inputs required to obtain signed co-finance commitment letters.
- Prepare a final stakeholder consultation report. The GEF requires that a report is prepared and submitted on stakeholder holder consultations undertaken during the PPG.
- Prepare a presentation for internal discussion to UNEP management describing national circumstances and context, baseline, barriers, proposed intervention, and indicators.
- Prepare a final and complete version of the CEO Endorsement Document and annexes for UNEP internal review and submission to GEF Secretariat.
- Prepare the submission package of the CEO endorsement document and associated annexes to the UNEP Project Review Committee (PRC) and draft the responses to the Committee’s reviews.
- Prepare the submission package of the CEO endorsement document and associated annexes to the GEF secretariat and draft responses to Secretariat reviews.
- In coordination with the Africa Mitigation Team and with support from National Authorities, the consultant will take the lead in organizing a stakeholder consultation workshop, either virtually or in person, bringing together key stakeholders to discuss the project baseline, co-financing, the problem tree, theory of change and proposed project interventions. Prepare a report summarizing the workshop.
- Advanced university degree in economics, environmental sciences, management, or a related discipline;
- A first level degree with additional two years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of an advanced university degree;
- Minimum of five years of experience in developing, assessing, evaluating or managing projects in the field of climate change, renewable energy, environment or development is required.
- Experience in drafting project proposals and assessing project documents, including concepts, progress reports, work plans, and financial documents (budgets and expenditure reports) is required;
- Experience working with GEF or UNEP projects is an asset;
- Experience in working for multilateral or bilateral funding entities in the field of climate change, renewable energy environment or development is an asset;
- English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For this consultancy, fluency (both oral and written) in English and in French is required.
Deadline : Dec 4, 2023