Get a free C.V. review by sending your C.V. to firstname.lastname@example.org or click the following link. Submit C.V.! use the subject heading REVIEW.
IMPORTANT: Read the application instructions keenly, Never pay for a job interview or application. DO NOT USE THE SUBMIT CV LINK TO APPLY FOR A JOB!
Click the Link Below to Get Targeted Job Updates
The African Population and Health Research Center (APHRC) is a premier research-to-policy institution, generating evidence, strengthening research and related capacity in the African research and development ecosystem, and engaging policy to inform action on health and development. APHRC seeks to recruit three consultants to support research on Adolescent Sexual and Reproductive Health (ASRH). The consultants will work together with researchers in the Sexual Reproductive Maternal Newborn Child and Adolescent Health (SRMNCAH) Unit and researchers co-leading the Sexual and Reproductive Health workstream under the Lancet Commission on Adolescent Health and Wellbeing.
The consultants will support work on a stocktaking review to draw out lessons that can inform multi-sectoral action to address health system, and wider social and economic determinants of ASHR. The stocktaking review entails:
- Cross-national analyses of recent trends in select ASRH indicators that considers heterogeneity around the indicators among adolescents (e.g., age, urban/rural differences, socioeconomic, education, sub-regional etc.), as well as identifies data gaps and needs in specific indicators.
- Desk-based analyses to understand key drivers of the changes observed in three countries that have made progress on multiple ASRH indicators (Benin, Nepal and Peru) to draw out lessons for multi-sectoral action including youth engagement to improve ASRH outcomes. We will also consider inclusion of one country that has experienced stalls and/or reversals across several indicators.
Scope of work
The consultants are expected to:
- Conduct the desk-based research to understand key drivers of the changes observed in Benin, Nepal and Peru countries, including changes in policies, and to draw out lessons for multi-sectoral action including youth engagement to improve Adolescent SRH outcomes. Each consultant will focus on one country.
- Draft a report (no more than 5 pages single-spaced, Calibri font-size 11) summarizing changes in select ASRH indicators in the country and documenting key lessons for multi-sectoral action.
- Draft report with a comprehensive list of references.
Duration of the consultancy
The consultancy is for 20 working days from the start of the contract. This consultancy is home-based.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience
- PhD in Public Health, Sociology, Demography or related fields. Advanced doctoral students who have completed their thesis work are also eligible.
- Experience conducting research on ASRH preferably in the focus countries (Benin, Nepal, and/or Peru).
- Excellent scientific writing skills.
- Experience conducting literature reviews.
- [For consultant working on desk-based research on Benin] Excellent written and spoken French language skills
- [For consultant working on desk-based research on Peru] Excellent written and spoken Spanish language skills
The consultant will work closely with a Senior Research Scientist at APHRC and co-leads of the Commission’s Sexual and Reproductive Health Workstream.
Expression of Interest
Interested candidates should submit an Expression of Interest accompanied by their CV or resume via email to email@example.com and copy firstname.lastname@example.org with the email subject ‘Research Consultancy in Adolescent Sexual and Reproductive Health.’ Applications will be considered until September 26, 2023. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Cover letters should be addressed to:
The Human Resources Officer
African Population and Health Research Center, Inc.
APHRC Campus, Manga Close, off Kirawa Road, Kitisuru
P.O. Box 10787-GPO, Nairobi
APHRC is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to the protection of vulnerable persons.