Get a free C.V. review by sending your C.V. to firstname.lastname@example.org or click the following link. Submit C.V.! use the subject heading REVIEW.
IMPORTANT: Read the application instructions keenly, Never pay for a job interview or application.
Click the Link Below to Get Targeted Job Updates
Sign Up For Targeted Job Updates Here
About the Job
The Country Director plays a strong leadership role in DRC’s comprehensive and solutions-based approach to displacement through a high level of strategic leadership, innovation and effective advocacy. The Country Director is ultimately accountable in country for all aspects of DRC’s work, leading the consolidation and at the same time development of the programme, continuing the process of developing solid impact measurement mechanisms, strengthening accountability initiatives and ensuring that the financial management and organizational setup is adapted to the operational context. The Country Director sets direction, leads, maintains team morale, safety and welfare, and manages resources. The Country Director delegates specific duties as necessary, while maintaining oversight and accountability.
Your main duties and responsibilities will be:
- Represent the programme to authorities, donors, partners, and in various co-ordination fora;
- Strengthen DRC’s position nationally and regionally;
- Ensure that DRC maintains excellent and productive relations with all key stakeholders, especially beneficiaries, local authorities, the humanitarian community and donors.
Direct managerial oversight and support
- Ensure that the senior management team members have clear and realistic performance based management goals;
- Overall management of the operation and direct manager for senior staff members;
- Ensure that the senior management team is effective, mutually supporting and sufficiently involved in decision making;
Fundraising and Advocacy
- Ensure the country operation has an actionable and living fundraising strategy that leverages DRC’s strategy and strengths to play an meaningful role in Ethiopia that is grounded in reality of the funding funding environment;
- Together with the Head of Programme, lead the team in writing concept papers, project proposals and budgets in line with the approved country strategy;
- Lead on advocacy for all DRC key messages;
- Accountable for ensuring that the programme is delivered in a safe and secure manner;
- Provide overall accountability for security, including development of and ensuring adherence to security procedures, monitoring of the security situation, analysing and provision of recommendations;
- Together with the Head of Support Services, provide overall budget monitoring, financial management and expenses control including compliance with minimum DRC and donor requirements and ensuring that necessary systems are in place;
- Manage the resources allocated effectively and transparently by respecting and meeting all legal requirements in country;
- Provide leadership support to staff and promote best practices in human resources management;
- Ensure coaching and counselling advice to staff when necessary and lead initiatives to develop staff capacity;
- Together with the Head of Programme, lead the development and update of the programme strategy, within DRC’s overall regional and global strategic frameworks;
Accountability and Quality
- Ensure that DRC standard regulations and operational procedures (Code of Conduct, DRC Management handbooks, CHS standards, etc.) are followed;
- Continuously monitor and develop relevant accountability initiatives in the field as well as strengthening the effort to document the impact of activities and our presence.
To be successful in this role we expect you possess the following:
- Bachelor’s degree in political science, international development, economics or other relevant field.
- Minimum 10 years’ management experience in emergency/development contexts as country director/senior manager of a humanitarian or development organization or similar
- Experience representing a large and leading organization to donors, external partners and authorities;
- Experience with networking, advocacy and coordination;
- Experience in managing staff in insecure/stressful locations;
- Experience with conflict related displacement issues;
- Experience of managing budgets and multiple donor contracts;
- Experience in donor contact, fundraising and networking;
- Experience and proven leadership skills and a competence in people management;
- Proven communicator with all types of stakeholders;
- Proven commitment to accountable practices and knowledge of quality assurance systems
- Full professional proficiency in English is required;
- Experience working in the East Africa, Great Lakes and/or Horn of Africa;
- Master degree
- Other regional languages
You must be logged in to post a comment.