Get a free C.V. review by sending your C.V. to firstname.lastname@example.org or click the following link. Submit C.V.! use the subject heading REVIEW.
IMPORTANT: Read the application instructions keenly, Never pay for a job interview or application. DO NOT USE THE SUBMIT CV LINK TO APPLY FOR A JOB!
Click the Link Below to Get Targeted Job Updates
Pact is seeking a Deputy Chief of Party (DCOP) for the USAID-funded Sudan Strengthening Youth and Women’s Civic Participation Program. The Program aims to increase collaboration, sustainability, and resilience of civil society and independent media to advance the inclusion, participation and leadership of youth and women in Sudan. The activity will apply locally led, problem-driven, adaptive approaches. This program will be starting Y2 of an anticipated five-year activity, with a dramatic shift in the operating context since the program startup in Khartoum in October 2o22. This position will support Sudan programming from a program office in Nairobi, Kenya with regular travel in the East Africa region.
The DCOP will function as the deputy to the Chief of Party (COP) with a primary focus on oversight of and support to the technical components of the program, which include civil society strengthening, media development, youth and women’s leadership, capacity development, psychosocial support, and MEL, among other areas. Together with the COP, s/he will oversee a large portfolio of sub-grants and sub-contracts with Sudanese, regional and international organizations. S/he will contribute to training and mentoring staff on Pact policies and procedures, donor regulations, and financial best practices, as well as working closely with the COP and US-based personnel to ensure compliance with all donor regulations and effective and proactive management. S/he will be the primary point of contact with USAID in the absence of the COP with regard to day-to-day implementation and management matters related to the agreement.
- Work closely with COP to ensure effective day-to-day management of activity, to ensure deliverables are met and support the program team to adhere to plans and deadline
- Contribute significant leadership to the effective development, management, and oversight of a large sub-award portfolio to support Sudanese local partners working in a range of technical area
- Along with the COP, manage a team of flexible and adaptive employees in multiple locations in East Africa. Specifically: recruit, mentor and supervise Sudan technical and program team members across a variety of thematic areas, including capacity development staff, who are engaged in the activities under the DCOP’s scope of responsibility.
- Support engagement with and oversight of technical consultants, including development of appropriate SOWs, recruitment and monitoring of field work and reporting
- Oversee the timely and effective monitoring, evaluation, work planning and reporting of program activities
- Support regular reporting requirements, including bi-weekly, quarterly and annual reports and other technical deliverables as per the contractual requirements with USAID
- Ensure compliance with donor, organizational, legal, and other requirements, policies, and/or procedures in collaboration with operational staff with a focus on the grants portfolio and partnership development
- Support the management and monitoring of the program’s budget, particularly the budget allocations to grant making and technical assistance, including supporting timely revisions and adoption to the budget in line with shifts in the program
- Employee complies with all company policies and procedures, including completing all compliance training topics by the deadline to satisfy each and receiving the corresponding acknowledgment statement that the training has been completed
- All other duties as assigned
- Master’s degree in a relevant field such as international development, political science, economics, or public policy
- 9+ years relevant experience in the successful management of USAID cooperative agreements with large sub-award components; strong preference given to experience with democracy and governance activities
- At least five years’ of demonstrated management experience, with focus on high quality technical democracy & governance program delivery and grant making
- Knowledge of political, economic, and social context of Sudan
- Experience working with civil society organizations or media actors in Sudan and/or in the East Africa or Horn of Africa regions
- Ability to develop and maintain strong relationships with civil society partners, government institutions and private sector partners
- Demonstrated experience implementing highly adaptive programs, including developing strategies in complex and evolving operating environments, in close coordination with multiple stakeholders, including implementing partners, CSOs, and funders
- Proven program leadership, adaptive management, project planning, organizational, interpersonal, and communication skills to manage a team successfully
- Professional fluency in English (oral, writing and reading)
- Fluency in Arabic
- Strong understanding of the role of civil society and media in Sudan, as well as organizational and technical challenges they face in implementing international programs
- Experience in a leadership role withing a consortium of implementing partners
- Familiarity with conflict sensitivity and gender inclusiveness approaches in programming
- Experience in working in and on countries affected by violent conflict
- Sudanese nationals are strongly encouraged to apply.