Get a free C.V. review by sending your C.V. to email@example.com or click the following link. Submit C.V.! use the subject heading REVIEW.
IMPORTANT: Read the application instructions keenly, Never pay for a job interview or application. DO NOT USE THE SUBMIT CV LINK TO APPLY FOR A JOB!
Click the Link Below to Get Targeted Job Updates
Org. Setting and Reporting
The United Nations Environment Programme (UN Environment) is the leading global environmental authority that sets the global environmental agenda, promotes the coherent implementation of the environmental dimension of sustainable development within the United Nations system and serves as an authoritative advocate for the global environment.
UN Environment’s Ecosystems Division works with international and national partners, providing technical assistance and advisory services for the implementation of environmental policy, and strengthening the environmental management capacity of developing countries and countries with economies in transition.
This position is located in the Ecosystems Division at the Nairobi duty station. Under the direct supervision of the Budget & Finance Officer and in the Global Funds Finance Unit, will be responsible the following functions:
Manage designated programmes and projects: Certify that proposed obligations or disbursements are:
- Raised in accordance with existing UN Financial Rules and Regulations.
- Raised in accordance with the purpose for which the relevant appropriation was approved and the allotment made.
- Can be met from the available balance of the allotment to the relevant account, with due regard to future expenditure.
Manage sub-programme resources:
- Maintain and update sub-programme specific management information on the status of the Environment Fund, Trust Fund, Counterpart Contribution allocations, Regular Budget, Trust and Environmental Support Funds; project commitments, proposals, revisions, extensions and expenditure reports.
- Liaise with implementing external organizations, Ecosystems branch managers and programme managers to resolve priorities and conflict situations.
- Liaise with funding organizations on sub-programme related Trust Fund or Counterpart Contributions.
- Provide input to the Chief of the Unit.
- Provide ad-hoc reports to the Chief of the Unit or other Ecosystems Division management.
Support and facilitate preparation and approval of projects:
- Coordinate the preparation of projects in cooperation with concerned UN Environment programme managers and/or external implementing organizations ensuring that project documents and revisions are: (i) Consistent with the strategies, objectives and goals approved by the Governing Council of UN Environment; (ii) Consistent with approved UN Environment work programmes and management directives, and in accordance with UN Environment guidelines on project design; (iii) Within allocated resources and in accordance with UN and UN Environment financial rules and regulations.
- Support and provide direct professional guidance in all aspects of programme structuring and project design.
- Provide direct input particularly in the planning of resource utilization and budgets.
- Facilitate the approval of projects and revisions within UN Environment.
- Coordinate and facilitate the necessary administrative measures required after project/revision approval.
- Manage and monitor fund management side of the project implementation:
- Ensure consistency with policy, agreement, directives, guidelines, rules and regulations in the fund management implementation of approved projects.
- Solicit interim and terminal financial reports, review and reconcile reports.
- Coordinate revision of projects.
- Control project budgets.
- Maintain and update information on the status of project related Counterpart Contributions.
- Review financial aspects of the project related Letters of Agreement.
- Approve and initiate disbursement of funds.
- Review and certify obligations and disbursement documents.
- Undertake administrative and financial action for directly supervised internal projects.
- Coordinate the actions required for closure of completed projects.
- Provide information to Programme Managers and Officers and external implementers of changes in policy guidelines.
- Collects and analyzes data to identify trends or patterns and provide insights through graphs, charts, tables and reports using data visualization methods to enable data-driven planning, decision-making, presentation and reporting.
- PROFESSIONALISM: Knowledge of financial and budgetary principles and practices, budget development and financial administration of resources. Ability to develop budgetary policies, procedures and new programmes. Ability to formulate new strategies and technical approaches to budgetary matters. The ability to analyze and interpret data in support of decision-making and convey resulting information to management. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations.
- COMMUNICATION: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors language, tone, style and format to match audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
- PLANNING & ORGANIZING: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
- Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in accounting, business administration, finance or related fields is required.
- A first-level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying work experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- Successful completion of both degree and non-degree programs in data analytics, business analytics or data science programs is desirable.
- A minimum of five (5) years of relevant and progressively responsible work experience in finance, budget or related area is required.
- Three (3) years of experience in management of public funding, grant management and interaction with public sector institutions in an international context is required.
- Experience with complex data analysis, reconciliations and reporting is desirable.
- Working experience with an Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) system such as System Analysis Program Development (SAP) is desirable
- Two (2) years or more of experience in data analytics or related area is desirable.
- Experience with Global funds such as Global Environment Facility (GEF), Adaptation Fund (AF) and/or Green Climate Fund (GCF) is desirable.
- English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the post advertised, fluency in English is required. Knowledge of another UN official language is desirable
Closing Date: 02 October 2023