Fondazione L’Albero della Vita – The Tree of Life Kenya is an organization registered in Kenya as a Trust with the aim of ensuring the wellbeing, protection and promotion of the rights of children and their families and encouraging community development.
The Tree of Life envisions a world without poverty where children can enjoy their rights; grow up in a safe environment, protected from all kinds of violence and abuse, with access to equal opportunities.
The organization has been working in Kenya since 2011, focusing on the sectors of Child Protection, Education and safeguarding of children.
The Tree of Life has been operating in the space of Juvenile Justice, Care Reform, Alternative Family Care, TVET and job inclusion for vulnerable youth, as well as improving education, Wash, nutrition and health services in the ASAL and in the informal settlements of Nairobi.
The Tree of Life is starting up a new program in Kenya in collaboration with several Government Departments, and national and international partners. The project, entitled “RISE”, aims at activating and strengthening formal, inclusive educational services, personal and professional development as well as reproductive health pathways to children and youth, both vulnerable and in conflict with the law in Kenya, focusing on the role of Government institutions, educative communities and the private sector. The proposed action is part of a framework of major structural changes in Kenya in the field of Education (reform of the education system), Protection (Care Reform) and the juvenile / child justice system (Restorative Justice, ADR).
Job Title: Junior Teaching Assistant (4 positions)
Supervisor: Main Teacher of reference and Education Manager
Duty station: Nakuru, Nairobi, Mombasa, Eldoret
Starting date: 1st February 2023
Duration of the assignment: 12 months, with 3 months’ probation, renewable
Deadline for application: 5th December 2022
Summary of the role:
The Teaching assistant will support the main teacher of reference in the piloting of the Tree of Life education services under the RISE Project, which aims to strengthen the structures and competences of government institutions for the provision of inclusive, participatory, and up-to-date educational services in support of vulnerable children and children in conflict with the law in collaboration with local stakeholders.
Roles and Responsibilities:
The Teaching assistant will be responsible for:
- Contributing to the designing of the course curriculum and negotiating appropriate learning targets to achieve the educational goals.
- Support the planning and implementation of learning activities based on the needs of the group and specific individual needs within the statutory institution.
- Support the main teacher of reference in promoting a safe and supportive learning environment in the statutory institution.
- Facilitating holistic education to promote equality and diversity.
- Modeling professional behavior according to the professional code at all times and ensuring their own professional development.
- Support in motivating learners to develop their abilities and aspirations and assuming collective responsibility for the learner’s success.
- Contributing to teamwork to improve the experience and achievement of learners.
- Guiding learners towards acceptable behavior and encouraging active participation.
- Facilitate training initiatives within the project and ensuring alignment with the education priorities of the organization.
- Support the development and the implementation of education initiatives within local communities, in line with the organization’s priorities and objectives of the government.
- Create and facilitate provision of content for education support online and offline.
- Support in the development of narrative reports, ensuring that all reports are submitted on time and maintain a high degree of consistency, accuracy, and relevance.
- Contribute to the development of education-related documents, such as Fact sheets, Presentations-Ppt etc.
- Any other duty as required by the supervisor in line with the post and relevant to the achievement of the Tree of Life objectives.
· A diploma in Education or Early Childhood Development
· C+ (plus) and above in two subjects of specialization
· Be registered with a professional body where applicable
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required
- Classroom management skills: the ability to ensure that learning takes place effectively in a healthy and comfortable learning environment.
- Effective communication skills: ability to give fast, clear, and immediate feedback to learners.
- Effective teaching style incorporating a learner-centered approach.
- Knowledge of competency-based curriculum and emerging trends in education and reforms.
- Availability: Fully accessible in class and outside the classroom.
- Strong rapport with learners and other care givers.
- Ability to show courtesy and appreciation to the learner.
- Ability to accept the different abilities of the learners and be ready to change as the context demands.
- Alternative discipline skills: appropriate modes of correcting learners;
- Time management skills: ensuring various activities are factored into the timetable for a holistic learning process;
- Role model: recognizes their role as a role model for kind human behavior.
- Background knowledge on development issues and/or areas related to child protection, juvenile justice, and education will be a strong asset.
- Ability to work independently, suggest practical solutions, and follow up effectively on management decisions.
- Strong understanding of the humanitarian and development context in Kenya and East Africa
- Excellent spoken and written English and Swahili.
Other Skills Required
- Honesty and strong ethics are required in order to be successful in this position.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Demonstrated capacity and willingness to learn new ways of doing things.
- Firm belief in teamwork, gender equality, a participatory approach, and sustainable development.
- Planning and management skills.
- Minimum 1 year experience in teaching primary education.
- Experience in implementing different learning methodologies and development of educational tools and training Curriculums
- Experience in working with children with special needs, vulnerable children, or children in conflict with the law will be an added advantage.
Employees must sign a Child Safeguarding Policy and a confidentiality agreement, and may not share organizational materials without the express written permission of a supervisor.
Respect: The Tree of Life aims to always show respect and appreciation for team members, partners, and all.
Working hours will be discussed and agreed upon.
How to apply
The application should include the following:
- Cover letter (stating how your profile fits the position and the skills required).
- Cover letter should also state your preferred work station among the towns mentioned herein.
- CV , having 3 references with contacts.
The soft copy application should be sent to: email@example.com
with the subject indicating “Teacher Assistant” and the duty station you are applying for, among those indicated.
Do not attach in this phase ID documents, school or university certificates, or any other document that has not been requested.
Applications received after the deadline or incomplete will not be considered. Only short-listed candidate (s) will be contacted.
The Tree of Life is an equal opportunity employer, and respect all gender, nationality or religious affiliations.