IMPORTANT: Read the application instructions keenly, Never pay for a job interview or application.
Get a free C.V. review by sending your C.V. to email@example.com or click the following link. Submit C.V.! use the subject heading REVIEW.
Country Director Kenya
All we do, and how we do it, seeks to promote God’s beauty, goodness, and truth in a broken world. As such, we are defined by our ability to make people’s lives measurably better; our ability to deliver impact is the measure of our collective success. For we know that we are God’s handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God has already prepared in advance for us to do. At Food for the Hungry, we operate under a set of values called Heartbeat Values.
Serves as FH’s chief representative in Kenya. Provides leadership to and manages all FH programs and staff in Kenya. Within the framework of the FH Heartbeat values, develops and is responsible for delivering on plans that contribute to the achievement of the Strategic Plan goals, summarized by the graduation of communities, moving people out of poverty, and increasing relief capacity.
Leadership, Vision, and Staff Development
● Promotes and models a healthy and visionary organizational culture along with a harmonious and effective workforce.
● Champions our Heartbeat values and exercises spiritual leadership, modeling and promoting the mindsets, skills, and behaviors that contribute to a rewarding, empowered organizational culture.
● Facilitates a learning environment that enables staff to develop professionally and spiritually.
● Attracts, acquires, retains, motivates, and promotes qualified talent
● Coaches, develops, counsels, and ensures accountability of the senior leadership team.
● Provides leadership, direction, and vision in managing change initiatives within the country, bridging different ways of working, and diverse working cultures within the teams.
● Articulates, promotes and advances FH global initiatives, priorities and systems that enable the organization to achieve its vision and mission, consistent with local context.
● Ensures that the Kenya office is planning and executing strategically at all times in alignment with FH’s organizational direction.
● In collaboration with the local board and senior leadership, and consistent with corporate strategic priorities, develops country strategy and related goals, outcomes, and objectives.
● Identifies and secures the appropriate resources (personnel, funds, materials, and partnerships) needed to accomplish the country strategy through field, Affiliates, and other donor contacts.
● Ensures that the development of annual work plans and associated project activities, objectives and key results are aligned with the strategy and organizational targets.
● Ensures FH makes strategic investments in time, resources and planning that will position FH for greater impact and effectiveness into the future.
● Provides overall leadership to and enhancement of FH business development, guiding the strategic pursuit and acquisition of new sources of income and partnership opportunities.
Programmatic and Administrative Excellence
● Ensures FH keeps its promises and fulfills its vision and mission by executing projects and supportive functions with the highest excellence.
● Ensures FH projects are implemented effectively and with the highest quality standards in compliance with FH and donor requirements.
● Ensures FH achieves stated outcomes, objectives, and results of its projects and that they are delivered on time, on budget.
● Promotes performance monitoring and evaluation management, ensuring data and learning are maximized to assist in the achievement of stated objectives.
● Ensures the organization is in compliance with all international, national, and local laws and labor regulations as well as the policies and requirements of the partnerships to which FH belongs and the best practices of our sector.
● Ensures close collaboration between business units and implementing partners through regular planning and performance meetings and reporting, especially focused on the link between program performance and financial compliance and accountability of the organization and program burn rate.
● Promotes innovative and breakthrough programming by facilitating the development, testing and growth of new approaches, effectively balancing incremental innovation with core program models.
Representation and Partnerships
● Encourages, promotes, and expands appropriate and value-added partnerships and collaboration with external organizations and groups.
● Keeps abreast of the trends and priorities of the relief and development community in Kenya, including environmental, economic, social, political, and religious conditions, by participating in working groups, task forces and other bodies.
● Promotes FH brand, abilities and programs to donors, partners, and the public.
● Identifies, cultivates, establishes, and maintains relationships with partners which may directly or indirectly contribute to the advancement of FHC strategic priorities or FH implementation objectives. These include but are not limited to: bilateral and multilateral aid agencies, foundations, private businesses, churches, Affiliates, and alliances to which FH is a member.
● Represents FH as “chief of mission” at official functions, and as necessary, speaks on behalf of FH in accordance with stated FH positions.
Safeguarding and Risk Management
● Ensures appropriate protection and well-being of FH staff, community partners, assets, and organizational reputation.
● Ensures that children and vulnerable adults are protected from safeguarding issues by all staff and FH representatives in the delivery of projects and programs in the country.
● Ensures that systems, policies, and procedures are properly developed and implemented in order to strengthen safety and security of all staff and FH resources.
● Actively identifies, mitigates, and monitors all risks to the organization and initiate corrective action where organizational gaps or weaknesses heighten risk.
Other duties as assigned.
Job Level Specifications
● Spiritual wellbeing: Demonstrated personal Christian commitment to serving those who are challenged by poverty and marginalization and in full agreement with FH Christian foundation and beliefs.
● Strategic and Operational Leadership: Demonstrated experience working in leadership positions including the development of organizational strategy, ability to exercise budgetary / financial and internal controls systems analysis, and capacity building policy development and enforcement.
● Programmatic proficiency: Demonstrated knowledge of field-based health and nutrition, risk and resilience, and food security and livelihoods sectors in a relief and development context; Proven ability to create and execute organizational strategy that advances corporate values, vision, and purpose.
● Representation: Proven ability to build relationships, negotiate and partner with national and international governments, aid agencies, non-governmental organizations, and private sector.
● Relational skills: Able to relate to understand, appreciate, and effectively communicate with people from different cultures, diverse backgrounds and perspectives and make them feel welcome, included, and valued. Demonstrated appreciation for and familiarity with a relational style of work and management.
● Communication: Effective oral and written communication and presentation skills.
● Integrity: Ability to lead with integrity, candor, honesty, and sensitivity.
● Wellbeing: Experience developing organizational resilience, employee engagement and wellbeing initiatives.
● Managing change: Substantial proven ability in successfully managing and leading organizational development and change, including culture change.
● Diversity and inclusion: Substantial experience with leading, promoting and working in a diverse, inclusive, cross-cultural environment.
● Organizational skills: Excellent organizational skills; ability to plan and coordinate the efficient flow of projects and processes.
● Analysis: Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.
● Medical fitness: Fitness to live and travel in rural and urban areas with extreme conditions and limited medical support.
● Travel: Ability to travel up to 25% of time in Kenya and internationally, to fragile contexts, and/or locations.
● Technological proficiency: Demonstrated computer operating skills, including proficiency in Microsoft Office products, Google platform, and virtual conference technologies.
● At least 15 years of experience in relief and development or relevant industry.
● Minimum 5 years of experience as a senior-level manager overseeing complex, multi-sector relief and development programs; experience in managing intercultural teams.
● Experience in Kenya or Africa is highly preferred.
● Prior experience in a complex, matrixed organization, with the ability to scale processes in a global, professional, service organization.
● Non-profit ministry experience is a plus.
● Bachelor’s degree, or a field related to international relief and development, or 20 years of experience in relief and development, or relevant industry with 7 years of experience as a senior-level manager overseeing complex, matrixed organization.
● Master’s degree in International Development, Business Administration or a related field is preferred.
Proficiency in spoken and written English. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
Directly supervises staff. Carry out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints, resolving problems, etc.
FH strives to provide an environment free from sexual exploitation and abuse and harassment in all places where relief and development programs are implemented. FH holds a zero-tolerance policy against sexual exploitation and abuse and harassment. FH expects its employees to maintain high ethical standards, protect organizational integrity and reputation, and ensure that FH work is carried out in honest and fair methods, in alignment with the Heartbeat Values, safeguarding, and associated policies. Violations to stated policies will be subject to corrective action up to and including termination of employment.
The responsibilities listed above are not all inclusive and may be changed at any time.