Get a free C.V. review by sending your C.V. to firstname.lastname@example.org or click the following link. Submit C.V.! use the subject heading REVIEW.
IMPORTANT: Read the application instructions keenly, Never pay for a job interview or application.
Click the Link Below to Get Targeted Job Updates
Heifer International is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identify, sexual orientation, age, status as a protected veteran, among other things, or status as a qualified individual with a disability.
The Communications Manager will be responsible for implementing Heifer International Kenya’s Public Relations brand and reputation management strategies, interpreting and implementing Heifer’s internal and external communication engagement strategies, and developing corporate content in line with Heifer’s communication and brand DNA. The Communications Manager will develop a stakeholder matrix and update it as needed, identify critical stakeholder expectations, liaise with partner organizations to enhance Heifer’s interest, sustain relationships with Heifer’s critical advocates in Kenya, and leverage influence and connections for the benefit of Heifer. This position will assist Heifer’s spokesperson(s) with preparing content, event coordination, and matters related to external engagements; assist with the discovery/development of communication and engagement platforms for a spokesperson(s) to articulate Heifer’s point of view. This position will develop relationships with media agencies, publications, edtorial staff, and influential columnists; and implement the protocol for official interaction for media inquiries, press conferences, and media visits.
ESSENTIAL CHARACTER TRAITS
Customer focus drives results, agile learning, decision quality, trust, collaboration, and self-development, optimizes work processes, is action-oriented, communicates effectively, cultivates innovation, and values differences.
A. MANAGEMENT AND LEADERSHIP (30%)
- Supervise project communications officers.
- Direct in-house training on communications, e.g., writing, photography, public speaking, and presentation skills for the program staff.
- Ensure the Heifer brand is understood and complied with by all staff in all external communications.
- Direct Heifer Kenya brand positioning business-wide through cross-functional and cross-team coordination and cooperation.
- Serve as a champion for internal PR/corporate narrative.
- Position Heifer Kenya for thought leadership through visible collaboration and participation across the country.
- Assist Country Director and leadership team to prioritize and manage engagement with critical stakeholders in media, donor community, partnerships, government, and regulators.
- Co-ordinates critical stakeholder management.
- Scans the environment from time to time and identifies future or perceived challenges for Heifer Kenya.
- Develop a critical stakeholder matrix and expectation management document to be revised occasionally (as needed).
- Develop a reputation risk register – identify critical risks and advise the Country Director on mitigating them.
- Develop a schedule of interactions between identified critical stakeholders and the Country Director.
B. IMPLEMENTATION OF HEIFER KENYA PR AND BRAND STRATEGY (25%)
- Ensure all aspects of approved PR/Brand DNA are adopted in all content –documents, presentations, brochures, adverts, and speeches.
- Ensure that corporate narrative is deeply entrenched in all internal and external communication and visual expression.
- Influence the tone, look, and feel of shared media platforms with close coordination with the Global Communications Team.
- Manage relationships/information flow with retained PR consultants.
- Provide feedback and observations towards refining or re-thinking strategies.
C. POSITION HEIFER KENYA IN THE PUBLIC DOMAIN (20%)
- Key media interface.
- Key event organizer.
- Identify suitable programs, events, and media leveraging and positioning initiatives.
- Mitigates reputation risk.
- Ensure top-of-the-mind awareness for Heifer and achieve the highest visibility in the development sector in key media by ensuring 80% favorable media mention.
- Assist with developing the business case for Heifer and ensure visibility with crucial business media, government, and the local donor community.
- Ensure the Kenya Country Office content is published and regularly updated in Heifer global intranet/Corral. S/he will be responsible for consistency and quality control.
D. RESPONSIBLE FOR HEIFER KENYA CONTENT DEVELOPMENT, LOOK AND FEEL ACROSS ALL MEDIA AND ENGAGEMENTS (20%)
- Assist with developing speeches/presentations/brochures/infomercials/ short clip videos.
- Assist with responses to media inquiries.
- Success story and learning pieces documentation: support finalization of the learning pieces and success stories and support dissemination to stakeholders.
- Manages all executive external and internal communication.
- Provide high-quality, consistent program and thematic content based on approved communication and brand DNA in multiple media channels, including press, web, and social media.
- Collaborate with Global Communications Team on the production of high-quality audio-visual context.
- Commission design work and asset production.
- Oversee the management of Heifer Kenya’s media bank(photos/videos/publications), and ensure the correct details are included (proof of consent, photographer credit, etc)
- Maintain the Heifer and donor branding and marking plan: guide teams internally and externally in ensuring branding requirements are upheld.
- Supporting Technical Documentation and Reporting: work in collaboration with component leads and the MELs team to edit, brand, and finalize Heifer technical reports including but not limited to research studies, quarterly reports, and annual reports, among others.
E. MAY PERFORM OTHER JOB-RELATED DUTIES AS ASSIGNED (5%)
MOST CRITICAL PROFICIENCIES
- Knowledge of public relations work applied across all forms of media.
- Strong writing, editing, and presentation skills.
- Demonstrated knowledge and skills in building networks, partners, and collaborations for media and positioning.
- Negotiation skills, including the ability to listen and persuade.
- Work with a global mindset, preferably with demonstrated experience in working at the local level.
- Demonstrated experience in working with diverse cultural groups and gender equity approaches.
- Experience taking complex ideas and capturing them in multiple formats – briefing papers, positioning pieces, publications, press releases, and social media.
- Experienced in identifying and managing sensitive media issues and crises.
- Ability to collaborate and build positive working relationships with multiple internal and external partners.
- Experience with the design and implementation of results-oriented communication strategies.
- Demonstrated experience managing and/or facilitating events, small convenings, and forums of experts preferred.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS AND PHYSICAL DEMANDS
- Ability to inspire and support the team and express Heifer’s mission through word, media, and public relations activities.
- Constant face-to-face and electronic communication with colleagues and the public.
- Ability to confidently give oral presentations and impromptu speeches to a wide range of audiences.
- Ability to effectively plan, prepare, and present material and speeches for publication that conform to prescribed style and format.
- Outstanding English writing skills and oral communication skills are essential.
- Willingness and ability to travel as needed.
- Willingness and ability to work outside of normal business hours.
- Ability to work with sensitive information and maintain confidentiality.
Deadline for Application: 6th February 2023