ADVERTISEMENT FOR POSITION OF ASSISTANT MANAGER, INTERNAL AUDIT– GRADE 4
The Higher Education Loans Board (HELB) was established in 1995 through an Act of Parliament CAP 213A of the laws of Kenya. The mandate of HELB is to source for funds and provide financing (through loans, scholarships and bursaries) to Kenyans pursuing higher education in institutions of higher learning in and outside Kenya as recognized by Commission for University Education (CUE) and/or the Technical, Vocational Education and Training Authority (TVETA), and recover funds loaned to create a National Revolving
Fund. HELB is an innovative institution in the education sector whose focus is to leapfrog how Financing higher education is executed in Kenya by amalgamating public and private sector resources in the country.
HELB is seeking to recruit competent, self-driven individuals with an innate dynamism for the position of Assistant Manager, Internal Audit – Grade 4. The successful candidates to fill the positions will join a highly performing team and should not only be passionate, innovative, and qualified, but also be of integrity, dependable, emotional intelligence, effective interpersonal, communication and leadership skills.
Reporting to the Head of Internal Audit, Risk Management & Compliance, the job holder will be responsible for coordinating conduct of various types of audits and reviews in accordance with International Standards for professional practice of Internal Auditing to promote efficiency and effective of operations, reliability and integrity of financial and operational information, safeguarding assets and to ensure adherence to applicable laws and regulations, policies and procedures, standards and contracts for the Board.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- a) Coordinating assurance on the management of the institutions loan records in excess of Ksh. 115 Billion since inception;
- b) Coordinating operations of the audit section for effective service delivery;
- c) Coordinating development and implementation of internal audit section policies and procedures to achieve the audit strategic objectives;
- d) Coordinating development of the Audit section’s risk- based work plan to ensure timelines set are attained;
- e) Managing individual engagements from planning to follow up by the direct reports to enable seamless completion of activities;
- f) Coordinating implementation of approved annual audit plan by developing individual assignment work plans and allocating activities to appropriate resource and monitoring execution;
- g) Mentoring and coaching staff in the Audit section for career growth and enhanced performance;
- h) Coordinating preparation of audit reports for presentation to management and to the Audit, Risk Management and Compliance Committee of the Board and ensure implementation of arising recommendations;
- i) Ensuring maintenance of ISO Standards and other quality standards implemented by the institution for the section to fulfil the mandate and align with best practice;
- j) Coordinating the performance of investigations as necessary;
- k) Coordinating performance management in the section to ensure individual targets set are timely achieved;
- l) Implementing audit, risk management and compliance plans as approved by the Board Audit, Risk Management and Compliance Committee to achieve set targets;
- m) Assisting in provision of secretarial services to the Audit, Risk Management and Compliance Committee of the Board;
- n) Coordinating to ensure Internal audit section risks are proactively identified and managed to within the risk appetite of the institution, development, and maintenance of up-to-date departmental risk register;
- o) Coordinating implementation of the department’s Business Continuity Plan in alignment to the institution’s Business Continuity Management Framework;
- p) Participating in various committees of the Organization and providing assurance expertise;
- q) Preparing monthly, quarterly, and annual sectional reports to management and the Board of Directors;
- r) Participating in the development of the department’s strategic plan to ensure objectives are attained;
- s) Developing and implementing the Internal Audit charter, policies, and procedures to ensure consistency in audit operations; and
- t) Coordinating the implementation of appropriate technology to improve efficiency and effectiveness of the section.
Minimum Academic Qualifications:
a) A holder of a Bachelors’ Degree in a Business-related field of study from a recognized institution;
b) Master’s Degree in business related field from a recognized institution;
c) Certified Public Accountant Kenya (CPA (K))/Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA) and Certified Information Systems Auditor (CISA) or Certified Internal Auditor (CIA) qualification;
d) Membership to a relevant professional body such as Institute of Certified Public Accountants (ICPAK) /ACCA; Information Systems Audit and Control Association (ISACA), or Institute of Internal Auditors (IIA).
e) A minimum of ten (10) years’ relevant work experience in Auditing with at least 3 years’ experience as an audit supervisor or a comparable position with similar responsibilities
Procedure for applying
If you can clearly demonstrate your abilities to meet the criteria given above:
• Please send your application letter, detailed CV, relevant copies of testimonials & certificates, to reach the office of Chief Executive Officer not later than Tuesday, 31st January 2023 through email:
Email Address: email@example.com
• Please quote the position on the subject line while sending your application.
Ethics and Integrity:
Successful candidate shall be required to prove compliance with Chapter 6 of the Constitution of Kenya, 2010 by obtaining and presenting clearance/compliance certificates from:
1. Kenya Revenue Authority;
2. Higher Education Loans Board;
3. Ethics and Anti-Corruption Commission.
4. Directorate of Criminal Investigations (Certificate of Good Conduct)
5. Credit Reference Bureau.
HELB is an equal opportunity employer.
Persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Only successful candidates will be contacted.