Get a free C.V. review by sending your C.V. to firstname.lastname@example.org or click the following link. Submit C.V.! use the subject heading REVIEW.
IMPORTANT: Read the application instructions keenly, Never pay for a job interview or application. DO NOT USE THE SUBMIT CV LINK TO APPLY FOR A JOB!
Click the Link Below to Get Targeted Job Updates
The United Nations Office at Nairobi (UNON) is the United Nations headquarters in Africa and the representative office of the Secretary-General. We support programme implementation of the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP), Resident Coordinator System (RCS) and the United Nations Human Settlements Programme (UN-Habitat) globally, as well as other United Nations offices in Kenya, by providing administrative, conference and information services (www.unon.org).
These positions are located in the United Nations Office at Nairobi (UNON), Human Resources Management Service (HRMS), Staff Pay and Benefits Section (SPnB).
Within delegated authority, the Human Resources Assistant reports to a Cluster Lead, HR Officer. The incumbent will be responsible for a combination of the following activities and related transactions in the Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) System, for geographically dispersed staff members:
- Takes over from the Talent Acquisition Unit and completes onboarding process of locally recruited candidates, processes personnel action (PA) for the candidate, prepares Letter of Appointment for signature and conducts new staff member induction, monitors contract expiration dates and processes requests for contract extension.
- Processes temporary and permanent movements and its related administrative actions, such as temporary assignments, and special post allowance (SPA); reviews eligibility and processes long-service step; initiates and processes locally administered separation (Separation PA and Separation Payment personnel actions) and hands over to payroll colleagues for final payments, UNJSPF/ASHI related actions, as applicable. Reviews and prepares submission of cases to the Pension Board for disability cases.
- Advises staff on UN entitlements and benefits; determines entitlements for staff based on contractual status; takes necessary action to maintain family status of staff members and administers respective entitlements by processing required personnel actions in Umoja. Monitors payment of dependency allowances and takes necessary actions to keep them up-to-date. Reviews requests for change of personal status and takes necessary actions.
- Reviews and approves maternity leave requests and takes necessary actions; establishes paternity leave quota; certifies sick leave up to 20 days and monitors sick leave entitlements; reviews and approves requests for special leave without pay (SLWOP); reviews and processes other types of special leave; and administers danger pay for locally recruited staff; follows up with respective Time Administrators to monitor attendance records as required; liaises with Joint Medical Services and client offices to reconcile sick leave records.
- Monitors implementation and compliance with existing regulations through review of personnel actions processed in Umoja; monitors Umoja Enterprise Central Component (ECC) reports and staffing tables for a variety of human resources activities, e.g. appointments, retirement, expiration of appointments, temporary and permanent movements, special post allowances, expiration of appointments, retirements and other separations from service, including disability and death cases; advises staff members regarding conditions of service and entitlements. Refers complex cases to the supervisor and the Operational Support Desk (OSD).
- Assists with the collection and analysis of data as well as preparation of data presentations and reports for information sharing, responding to queries, knowledge management, planning and decision making.
- Assists with visualizations and updating information material such as web pages or brochures.
- Performs other duties as required.
- PROFESSIONALISM: Knowledge of the human resources policies, procedures and practices and ability to apply them in an organizational setting; Ability to perform analysis, modeling and interpretation of data in support of decision-making; Demonstrates use of initiative and makes appropriate linkages in work requirements and anticipates next steps; Shows pride in work and in achievements; Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; Is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; Shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; Remains calm in stressful situations; Commitment to implementing the goal of gender equality by ensuring the equal participation and full involvement of women and men in all aspects of work.
- COMMUNICATION: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; Listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; Asks questions to clarify and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; Tailors language, tone, style and format to match the audience; Demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
- CLIENT ORIENTATION: Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients” and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view; Establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect; Identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions; Monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems; Keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects; Meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client.
- Completion of High school diploma or equivalent is required.
- Supplemental training in human resources, administration or related area is required.
Job – Specific Qualification
- Supplementary courses or additional training and certification as ERP Human Resources (HR) partner is desirable.
- A minimum of five (5) years of experience in human resources management, administrative services or related area is required. The minimum years of relevant experience is reduced by two (2) years for candidates with a first-level University degree.
- Experience in the use of a staff member administration module (entitlements and benefits) in an Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) system is desirable.
- Work experience in administering staff entitlements and benefits in a large international organization similar to the UN is desirable.
- Work experience in serving staff members in geographically dispersed locations is desirable.
- One (1) year or more of experience in data analytics or related area is desirable.
- English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the post advertised, fluency in English is required. Knowledge of another official United Nations language is desirable.
- NOTE: “Fluency equals a rating of “fluent” in all four areas (read, write, speak, understand) and ” Knowledge of” equals a rating of ” confident” in two of the four areas.
Deadline : Nov 25, 2023