Get a free C.V. review by sending your C.V. to firstname.lastname@example.org or click the following link. Submit C.V.! use the subject heading REVIEW.
IMPORTANT: Read the application instructions keenly, Never pay for a job interview or application. DO NOT USE THE SUBMIT CV LINK TO APPLY FOR A JOB!
Click the Link Below to Get Targeted Job Updates
ACAPS is dedicated to improving analysis of humanitarian needs in complex emergencies and crises. We are independent of specific operational and sectoral agendas or interests, and therefore guarantee objective and evidence-based analysis.
Our CrisisInSight team supports the humanitarian community by providing up-to-date information on more than 100 key crises around the globe. This enables crisis responders to better understand and thereby better address the needs of the affected population, and at the same time strengthening the assessment ecosystem.
Purpose of the position
Contribute to ACAPS’ timely analysis of humanitarian crises, thus enabling crisis responders to make better informed decisions. This is a position for people interested in a career in the humanitarian sector and who are specifically interested in qualitative and quantitative analysis, humanitarian planning, and in promoting evidence-based decision making. The information analyst will develop valuable knowledge in analysis techniques, including secondary data review, joint analysis, and data management.
The Information Analyst in this role will be focusing on analysis and reporting for East and Southern Africa.
Role and responsibilities
- Research and Analysis: Conduct monitoring of information on global political, economic, social, and humanitarian developments in the assigned countries of responsibility and design and write analytical reports about them.
- Methodology and quality assurance: Support the development of ACAPS knowledge and guidance on better data collection, data preparedness activities, analysis, and reporting.
- Collaboration: Represent ACAPS and provide visibility to CrisisInSight work.
Research and Analysis
CrisisInSight Global Severity Index
- Analyse quantitative and qualitative data from the INFORM Severity Index.
- Conduct the analysis of baseline and historical event data.
- Through regular monitoring of crises, identify when is necessary to produce qualitative or quantitative analysis reports to draw attention to specific situations.
- Guarantee the quality of data collected by supporting data quality control processes.
CrisisInSight other products
- Gather and analyze quantitative and qualitative data to feed the Humanitarian Access Index and Global Risk Analysis, and in general to ACAPS portfolio.
- Conduct trend and risk analysis of evolving crises in order to feed the ACAPS quarterly risk report.
- Work in collaboration with the entire analysis team to ensure timely production and dissemination of ACAPS original products.
- Produce thematic ad hoc reports and analysis.
- Update the country pages of ACAPS website using analysis and data collected for ACAPS products.
- Support the communications team to disseminate analysis reports by providing summary text and tag lines for use on social media platforms such as Facebook and Twitter, and on occasion, carrying out dissemination activity via social media.
Methodology and quality assurance
- Contribute to the improvement of ACAPS analysis methodologies. Participate in internal evaluation to improve the quality of analysis activity.
- Provide technical support to ACAPS data collectors on data collection processes in accordance with ACAPS methodologies and information needs, as well as through sharing on context knowledge.
- Contribute to the joint reflexion of the team regarding the evolution of ACAPS analysis products (product design and development).
- Support the review process of methodology documents and analysis products and provide support to ACAPS methodology development notably in doing research for developing technical briefs.
Collaboration: Internal/external and networking
- May represent ACAPS and provide visibility to CrisisInSight work by delivering presentations on CrisisInSight products and crises monitored to key stakeholders.
- Establish a network of key informants at a field level and conduct regular interviews to integrate and support analysis and research.
- Lead joint analysis with key stakeholders by organising Analytical Coffee Meetings for the region monitored.
- Support the CrisisInSight Team Leader and Senior Analyst in maintaining any new collaboration assigned to CrisisInSight.
Perform other duties in the organisation as appropriate, including but not limited to:
- Provide support to other analysts and ACAPS colleagues on products, monitoring, and briefing notes.
- Participate in, support, or lead specific ad hoc projects, as requested.
- On occasion be available to research and draft Briefing Notes outside of regular working hours
- Relevant Master’s degree (or Bachelor’s degree with at least 3 years’ experience in relevant sectors) preferably in humanitarian action, social sciences (anthropology, sociology, economics, political science, psychology, geography, etc.), international relations, public health, epidemiology or other relevant education.
- Previous experience (minimum 2 years) in research, analysis, information management, advocacy, or other relevant experience in the humanitarian sector or related fields (development, international relations, social science, etc).
- Knowledge of quantitative and qualitative research and analysis methods (mixed and multi) and ease with handling, large amounts of quantitative data.
- Written clarity, including ability to analyse complex concepts and synthetize information.
- Ability and confidence to make judgment calls when interpreting ambiguous data.
- Demonstrated understanding of the principles of emergency preparedness, response and early recovery.
- Demonstrated understanding of needs assessments in humanitarian crisis.
- Fluent written and oral communication skills in English. Any other language is an asset.
- Excellent working knowledge of Microsoft Office suite particularly Excel.
- Familiarity with R, Python, Tableau, PowerBI, or similar software is preferable.