IMPORTANT: Read the application instructions keenly, Never pay for a job interview or application.
Get a free C.V. review by sending your C.V. to email@example.com or click the following link. Submit C.V.! use the subject heading REVIEW.
Field Programme Manager (Commercial Justice )
Overview & Responsibilities
The Department of Programs is the central management and coordinating function for program delivery and capacity development. It is responsible for implementing IDLO’s global program portfolio for field and non-field locations in line with organisational strategy.
IDLO seeks to recruit a Field Program Manager, Commercial Justice, with specific expertise in commercial justice sector reforms, which will work closely with necessary stakeholders to successfully implement the Commercial Justice Sector Reforms Project in Kenya.
Under the direct supervision of the Country Manager, the Field Program Manager, Commercial Justice will:
1. Manage day-to-day program implementation of the Commercial Justice Sector Reforms Project.
- Work Planning: monitor daily program implementation issues, including revisions to project design and work plans; make recommendations for timely and optimal course corrections.
- Budget Management, Monitoring and Reporting: Collaborate regularly with the Finance Department to build accurate financial forecasts, including reviewing financial reports and identifying in advance areas of over-or under-spending and flagging any urgent budgetary issues.
- Oversee the timely recruitment, identification and screening of program consultants/contractors and the processing of contracts with the IDLO Kenya team.
- Procurement planning and tracking – ensure PPP is followed.
- Provide program annual and quarterly reports, and coordinate the submission of financial and narrative reports to donors;
2. Substantive Expertise in Commercial Justice/Commercial Reforms.
- Facilitate policy dialogue on Commercial Justice Sector Reforms with the private sector, government actors and other relevant stakeholders, contributing to policy development and coordination among various actors as relevant;
- Perform legal research and analysis, legal opinion briefs, reports and correspondence and provide legal advice on relevant matters relating to international and local laws and/or relevant to program implementation;
- Identify and provide legal advice to partners on technical and substantive expertise needed for program implementation.
3. Ensure program compliance with donor contracts as well as quality standards.
- Ensure compliance with program contracts and subcontracts;
- Review, draft and advise on contracts, agreements and other legal documents in consultation with the IDLO Kenya team and the Office of the General Counsel;
- Conduct research on legal, political, social, and economic events, trends, and/or developments relating to the program;
- Design, research, draft, and edit legal working papers, memos, briefs, and other original materials in the field experience for the development of relevant outputs;
- Ensure program deliverables meet quality standards and proactively seek input from relevant substantive internal experts.
4. Program Reporting, Monitoring and Evaluation.
- Monitor and report progress in line with M&E frameworks in consultation with the M&E Associate
- Collaborate with the M&E Associate in developing and implementing a monitoring and evaluation framework for the Commercial Justice Sector Reforms Project
- Ensure budget alignment and provision/availability of resources to facilitate M&E where necessary.
- Collaborate with the Evaluation Unit and liaise closely with the relevant Program team on the evaluation of programs;
- Identify and report in a timely manner any difficulty or possible change in the program strategy, objectives, results or activities, and make recommendations for timely and optimal course corrections;
- Identify project successes and lead documentation for internal and external information sharing in consultation with the M&E Associate.
5. Program Development and Program Representation.
- Represent IDLO in program events, build relationships with donors, UN agencies, government institutions; Private Sector, CSO and other stakeholders in the Commercial Justice Sector Reforms field;
- Coordinate and maintain partner and stakeholder communications/relationships in coordination with the Country Manager;
- Generate ideas and identify new program opportunities in coordination with the Country Manager; develop proposals or concept notes aimed at innovatively expanding IDLO’s program portfolio in line with country/regional/organisational strategies;
- Under the guidance of the Country Manager, build relationships and liaise with donors, beneficiaries, and other external stakeholders, including through face-to-face meetings and the preparation of reports and briefs.
- A University degree in law or related discipline is required.
- At least 5-6 years of professional experience in the rule of law, commercial Justice Sector, and Judicial Reforms generally.
- Strong legal research, analysis and writing, particularly in the field of commercial law and justice sector reforms. Commercial alternative dispute resolution experience, private sector engagement and experience and administration in areas related to judicial reforms is an added advantage.
- Strong understanding and engagement with the Kenya Legal and Commercial Sector Reforms, Institutional and Policy environment, including general familiarity with constitutional and institutional reforms, is required.
- Knowledge and experience in ICT/digitisation reforms are highly desirable.
- Fluency in English is required; Fluency in Swahili would be an advantage.
Skills, Knowledge and Technical Competencies
- Possess excellent interpersonal, diplomacy, and communication skills, including strong writing and presentation skills. Ensure diplomacy and tact when engaging with prominent public figures.
- Strong work ethic and integrity are characterised by the desire to achieve results. Ability to problem-solving skills and multi-task in a high-pressure environment, respond rapidly to ad hoc requests, meet tight deadlines, and deliver results.
- Be computer savvy, able to navigate basic programs with proficiency, and utilise social media applications to aid her/his work. Good knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint required.
- Ability to work actively and efficiently in a team: shares information, contributes, encourages and motivates others to become involved in team activities; provides constructive feedback and willingly helps others; contributes to a fair environment that fosters collaboration and cooperation; works effectively across and within IDLO organisational boundaries.
- Self-motivated and dynamic with a willingness and ability to use initiative to assist the organisation in achieving its objectives.
Terms & Conditions
For this locally recruited position, IDLO shall offer the selected candidate an Affiliate contract of 12 months, with the possibility of extension subject to performance and availability of funding.
In addition, IDLO shall offer a yearly basic salary of Ksh. 5,160,000, medical insurance and leave entitlements, including in accordance with IDLO Employee Regulations and Rules.
This local position is open to candidates who are nationals of the duty station or with permanent resident status or other legal authorisation permitting them to work in the duty station. An employee subject to local recruitment shall not be eligible for the allowances or benefits exclusively applicable to international employees.
Applications will be screened on a regular basis; a qualified applicant might be recruited before the deadline. In the interest of making the most effective use of resources, only short-listed candidates will be contacted during the selection process.
IDLO is an Equal Opportunity Employer and values diversity in all areas of its operations. We welcome applications of qualified and diverse candidates.
IDLO is committed to achieving a 50/50 gender balance at all levels within its workforce. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply for IDLO vacancies.
IDLO does not tolerate sexual exploitation or abuse, any kind of harassment, including harassment of a sexual nature, or discrimination. As such, IDLO will conduct careful reference and background checks of all selected candidates as part of its selection process.
The Application deadline: is 25 November 2022 (23:59hrs Rome Time).