Job Title: Senior Program Officer – Administration
Sector: Program Administration
Employment Category: Fixed Term
Employment Type: Full-Time
Open to Expatriates: No
Location: Nairobi, Kenya
The CORE Group Partners Project (CGPP) is a multi-country, multi-partner initiative providing financial and technical support for strengthening host country efforts to eradicate polio, strengthen surveillance of zoonotic diseases, and control the spread of COVID-19.
The initiative coordinates and expands the work of organizations in the CORE Group NGO network implemented by World Vision-Kenya, Adventist Development & Relief Agency (ADRA), Catholic Relief Service (CRS-Kenya) and International Rescue Committee (IRC) dedicated to addressing infectious disease threats through community programming.
Under the direction of the Secretariat Director, the Senior Program Officer provides coordination, both operations and administrative assistance to the CGPP team, performs a wide range of administrative, coordination, communication, and logistical services in support of the operations of the multi-partner project in Kenya and Somalia.
Operational and Administrative Support
- Serves as an administrative link of the project activities with other programs/departments, i.e., finance, program development, public information, etc.
- Liaises and communicates with project consultants and field staff, providing support, as advised.
- Acts as the main contact person to stand in for team members during absence, following-up on any emergencies with appropriate in-house staff, and sharing workload as vital.
- Support the writing of routine reports, correspondence and assists with the development of project/ program materials.
- Provides administrative support in organizing virtual and in-person CGPP team meetings, taking meeting notes, and follow-up of action points as appropriate.
- Support copyediting, formatting and design of presentation documents as assigned including manuals, brochures, reports, and budget documents.
- Prepares, submits, and reconciles project purchase orders, and other financial transactions in coordination with the finance and admin department.
- Acknowledges receipt of correspondence and documentation in the absence of the Manager and Secretariat Program staff, and drafts preliminary versions of correspondence to be signed by the Manager or deputy.
- Develops and maintains an efficient filing system for the Secretariat, including assistance in coordination of implementing partner proposals, budgets as the need arises.
- Maintains and updates program’s databases and mailing lists using the Microsoft Office Suite including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook Exchanger.
- Handles the project inventory, supplies and reorders as necessary.
- Assists in the orientation of new staff and consultants by providing them with the vital documents and materials for orientation.
- Serve as a point of contact for all human resource related matters including coordination of new hires, annual performance reviews, employment contract extensions, etc.
- Maintains updated travel plans and budget amounts to provide an accurate overview of the Program’s travel budget, which includes liaising with the financial and administrative department staff for their input.
- Handles preparations, scheduling, logistics, and other various requirements for domestic and international travel.
- Responsible for formatting, distribution and filing of trip reports; Reconciles travel expenditures for all team members and submits them for authorization and payment.
Workshops and Events
- Liaises with members of the implementing organizations to coordinate logistical arrangements for workshops/trainings that take place in different regions or counties/countries.
- Liaises with staff of the secretariat hosting agency, travel agents and other outside vendors regarding venue, travel, hotels, and other Catering Services for the project organized events.
- Coordinates and disseminates all internal and external material, including publicity/ background documents for local and international project events.
- Prepares training kits or information packages and sends material to participants in a timely manner and Coordinates registration process and acts as contact person for the participants.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business, Management, Administration, Secretarial Sciences, or a related field is preferred.
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational, and written/verbal communication skills, including in cross-cultural settings.
- Ability to interpret program policies and procedures; ability to independently plan, organise and multi-task to carry out work assignments; ability to analyze and prepare fiscal, financial, and statistical records and reports.
- Proficiency in data management software and MS Office.
- Pays close attention to detail.
- Demonstrates knowledge of proper compositional practices to aid in writing and proofreading of project documents.
- Fluency in English and Swahili.
- Willingness to travel frequently to project areas, especially border sub-counties/districts.
- References will be required.
- Commitment, punctuality, self-starter, a standout colleague,
- Ability to work under difficult conditions in the field, diligent, transparent, etc
- All IRC staff are required to implement The IRC Way Standards for Professional Conduct and the IRC country employment policies.
Key working relationships:
- CGPP Secretariat Kenya & Somalia.
- CGPP HQ and Other CGPP country secretariats.
- Finance, Logistics, and procurement department of IRC Kenya.
- CGPP implementing Partners in Kenya and Somalia.
- Vendors, travel agents and Hotel agents
- Ministry of Health and Directorate of Veterinary services (Ministry Agriculture & livestock).
- Other partners like WHO, UNICEF, USAID, BMGF, KEMRI etc.
- All other development partners relevant to CGPP.
Standards of Professional Conduct: The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in the IRC Way – Code of Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, Accountability and Equality. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and carries out policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Harassment-Free Workplace, Fiscal Integrity, Anti-Retaliation, Combating Trafficking in Persons and several others.
Gender Equality: IRC is committed to narrowing the gender gap in leadership positions. We offer benefits that provide an enabling environment for women to participate in our workforce including parental leave, gender-sensitive security protocols and other supportive benefits and allowance.
This job description is not an extensive list of the skills, effort, duties, and responsibilities associated with the position.
Kenyan nationals are encouraged to apply. International allowances are not available for this position. Salary and employee benefits are compliant to the Kenyan NGO Sector.
IRC is an Equal Opportunity Employer and considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability.
Please take note that International Rescue Committee (IRC) does not ask for any fees in connection with its recruitment processes.