IMPORTANT: Read the application instructions keenly, Never pay for a job interview or application.
Get a free C.V. review by sending your C.V. to email@example.com or click the following link.Submit C.V.!use the subject heading REVIEW.
Research, Evidence, and Learning Lead
Requisition ID: req35230
Job Title: Research, Evidence, and Learning Lead
Sector: Evaluation & Learning
Employment Category: Regular
Employment Type: Full-Time
Open to Expatriates: Yes
Location: Nairobi, IHUB, Kenya
Reporting to the Project Director, the Research Evidence, and Learning (REL) lead will be responsible for the development and oversight of all the research, learning, and evidence generation activities taking place in the GAVI REACH project in four countries- Somalia, South Sudan, Sudan and Ethiopia. The REL lead will be responsible for the developing of the project’s research and learning agenda, collaborating closely with the Consortium partners. Specifically, the lead will influence and impact the following key project areas; develop the project’s research and learning strategy; coordinate research and evidence generation; lead documentation and dissemination of project learnings in implementing countries; and develop knowledge content to inform programming, advocacy, training, and support learning strategies. The lead will ensure that the Project’s research, evidence generation and learning are in line with GAVI terms and conditions, and that IRC achieves its deliverables in the GAVI REACH project and maximizes impact in reaching Zero Dose Children and missed communities it the target locations. The REL lead will also take an active role in adaptive management through active participation in stakeholder, learning and work planning meetings, as well as contribute to the development of GAVI REACH project’s communication strategy and various communication products for sharing internally and externally through various platforms.
Generation of Evidence and Learning.
• Lead the coordinating and documentation of project learning and evidence generation for key internal and external audiences, including for donor reporting and advocacy work.
• Collaboratively with the project technical team and consortium member, design the project’s research and learning agenda (goals and objectives), workplan and the required methodology to achieve these
• Provide capacity strengthening of consortium staff to enable them to collect, analyse and generate evidence
• In collaboration with the project MEAL Coordinator and Technical Lead, provide support to country teams to implement integrated program monitoring activities with a focus on effectiveness and outcome reporting and reflective processes.
• In collaboration with MEAL Coordinator, Consortium research partners and Country teams, design Innovative and participatory learning methodologies and tools to assess outcomes and impact of the project.
• Effectively document evidence emerging from program monitoring and evidence generation methodologies
• Support effective utilization of the IRC’s project cycle meeting approach as a mechanism for program learning
• Lead the technical support and implementation of all evaluations, assessments, surveys and project learning activities
• Respond to project needs; foster high standards and practices for quality data, analysis, and reports.
• Represent IRC in the REACH Consortium Evidence and research group and ensure IRC’s meaningful contribution to these processes
• Identify and support the development of relevant evidence and analytical skills including practical use of mobile technology methods for staff in order to build organizational capacity for impact monitoring and assessment.
• Contribute to the development of project’s communication’s strategy; support drafting and dissemination of various project advocacy products (such learnings, publications, research findings, reports, briefs, factsheets etc), and dissemination.
Coordinate GAVI REACH project research
• Lead the coordination of all research that is part of the GAVI REACH project
• Identify and support the development of relevant research and analytical skills including practical use of mobile technology methods for staff in order to build organisational capacity for impact monitoring and assessment.
• Work with the Research and Evaluation Unit to identify strategic partnerships with academic and research institutions to enhance overall country program MEL capacities and collaborations (using IRC’s PEERS methodology)
• Represent IRC in relevant external meetings and engage with the with various stakeholders to increase the capacity of the country programs and project to effectively demonstrate results and learning
• In Collaboration with the MEAL development and finalisation of REACH project narrative reports including the “Stories of Change” for submission to GAVI and ensures they are of required quality and are timely.
• Conduct any other duties assigned to support REACH project management
• Take up any other role as assigned
Qualification and experience
• Education: University degree in Monitoring and Evaluation, Statistics, Research, Data Science, or related studies
• At least 7 years’ Experience in managing and delivering a range of evidence and learning products including Database development and management.
• Experience in data collection tool using mobile data collection systems such as Commcare, KoBoCollect or any ODK system
• Experience and skills in public health research, knowledge management, dissemination of lessons and evidence.
• Proficiency and experience with mobile data collection such as ComCare, ODK Collect is vital as well as proficiency with Microsoft Excel, SPSS, STATA or other similar software. Knowledge of PowerBi, or GIS software tools are additional assets.
• Advanced quantitative or mixed methods research skills, including ability to review and critically appraise data and empirical literature.
• Proven ability to transfer knowledge to diverse audiences through training, mentoring, and other formal and non-formal methods together with presentation and reporting skills are a strong asset.
• Confirmed ability to lead, mentor and empower a small to a medium professional team.
• Self-motivated with good organization, and planning skills, including prioritizing work and multi-tasking.
• Willingness to travel to various field-level offices (40%).
Skills and Abilities:
• Excellent interpersonal and time management communication skills, both verbal and written.
• Ability to develop and utilise appropriate methods and tools to support high quality evidence and Learning analysis.
• Well-developed skills in managing and delivering a range of research and development projects, including effective and efficient resource allocation.
• Ability to work remotely and independently
• Ability to work under own initiative with a proactive approach to problem solving.
• Strong communication and interpersonal skills with the ability to engage a range of diverse audiences, stakeholders, and partners.
• Strong people management skills, including developing and motivating direct reports, colleagues and consultants.
• Proven skills in writing for and speaking to a range of audiences to ensure impact, including making empirical data accessible for different audiences, and in using different channels and media.
• Strong interpersonal skills, self-motivated and result-driven, with ability to effectively build and manage networks and relationships for program promotion and issue-resolution
• Ability to independently and proactively work as a team member with minimum day-to-day oversight
Desirable Knowledge and experience
• Experience in delivery of large evidence syntheses (e.g., literature reviews and systematic reviews).
• Advanced knowledge and experience of a range of analytical and evaluation techniques, including impact evaluation.
• Proven track record in delivering research projects to meet funders’ requirements, including to time and quality expectations, within budget.
• A clear understanding of project management processes and the importance of clear project/ performance management frameworks.
• Experience in developing research proposals and publications
• Active listening and effective communication.
• Critical thinking and problem-solving.
• Professionalism and work ethic.
• Receptive and Resilient.
• Positive Interpersonal interactions
The position is based in Nairobi, with scheduled travel to field locations in REACH Project countries
Standards of Professional Conduct: The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in IRC Way – Standards for Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, Accountability and Equality. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity Anti-Retaliation and Combating Trafficking in Persons.
Gender Equality: IRC is committed to narrowing the gender gap in leadership positions. We offer benefits that provide an enabling environment for women to participate in our workforce including parental leave, gender-sensitive security protocols and other encouraging benefits and allowances.
Equal Opportunity Employer: IRC considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment.