Vacancy name: Human Resource Officer
Reports to: Human Resource Director
Hours: 40hrs a week
Application deadline: 14th February, 2023
ABOUT JUSTICE DEFENDERS
Picture this: an overcrowded and under-resourced prison full of men, women, or even children who have not been found guilty. This is the case for three million people around the world currently affected by the excessive use of pre-trial detention.
In many countries, suspects are detained in prison almost automatically once they are arrested. Whatever the offence. Some are guilty. Many are poor and unjustly targeted. At Justice Defenders, we want to see justice served; it’s vital for all of us. What we don’t want to see is people filling our prisons simply because there was no one to equip them to fight for justice.
Justice Defenders is a registered UK charity and US nonprofit. Founded in 2007, we work across Africa, training incarcerated people and prison officers to become paralegals. Our 35 prison-based legal offices in Uganda, Kenya, and The Gambia are run by more than 300 paralegals. By equipping Justice Defenders to facilitate a just legal process, we help ensure a fair hearing at the point of greatest need. Everyone deserves the right to tell their story.
Reporting to the Human Resource Director (HRD), the Human Resource Officer (HRO) will focus on designing, developing, and delivering strategic employee learning and development programs including, but not limited to, management and leadership development, onboarding, and career development through various modalities including presentations to large or small groups, e-learning, and interactive sessions, etc.
The role will also assess and anticipate HR-related needs by identifying gaps, diagnosing root causes, and proposing means to develop integrated solutions.
Training and Development
- Recommends, designs, develops, and implements innovative learning and development programs that support the full employment lifecycle, including onboarding, career development, wellness, succession planning, and management and leadership development. Program development and delivery facilitated both online and in person.
- Assesses needs, analyzes gaps, researches best practices, and partners with Human Resources Global Team and Legal Program teams to identify, develop and implement successful and innovative learning and development programs.
- Develops and implements program processes and procedures, maintains records, and tracks outcomes.
- Utilizes learning theories to provide customised learning opportunities
- Continually monitors and evaluates the effectiveness of programs and makes needed adjustments.
- Coordinates learning and development program activities including forming committees, scheduling, event logistics and vendor relations.
- Identifies, develops, and offers training in the use of online resources and technologies to support organizational development
- Maintains technical expertise and knowledge of best practices in online educational trends, changes and developments, and service strategies. Recommends new approaches, modifications, or changes that will improve efficiency and/or effectiveness.
Information Management Systems
- Develops integrated talent/performance/learning reports, dashboards, and portals in support of the learning organization, and ensure data is leveraged within the organisation.
- Serves as the data custodian of the HRIS system; uses technical savvy to provide support to internal and external clients ensuring user experiences are positive and creates resources providing information and services.
- At the global level, support the HR sections of the online systems and services, applicant tracking system, leave management, and other organisational information systems.
- Provide Organizational Development support to managers, proactively highlighting areas or issues that would lead to more efficiencies and growth opportunities to staff.
- Monitor planning interviews, mid-year review, and end-year appraisals of all staff as part of the Performance Management process.
- Manage end-of-probation period review in liaison with line managers.
- In liaison with line managers assist in overseeing the implementation and management of performance improvement plans when required.
- Performs other related duties as assigned to support overall organisation and employee development initiatives.
- At least 5 years experience in a similar position in a fast-paced international organization.
- A Bachelor’s degree in Organizational Development, Human Resources, Education, Educational Leadership, Business or a related field. Education requirements may be substituted by experience.
- Professional HR accreditation is essential.
- Training and development principles, practices, methods, and procedures.
- Needs assessment methods.
- Design principles and best practices for effective online learning media use and learner engagement.
- East African labor laws. Other West African experience or exposure would be a plus!
- Well-developed people skills, high level of emotional intelligence; excellent interpersonal skills, and ability to develop strong trusting relationships with employees at all levels.
- A highly analytical problem-solver and critical thinker, who can define a root cause, evaluate alternatives and find solutions effectively.
- Effective written/verbal communication skills, active listening, counseling, interviewing, investigating, and report writing.
- Speaking in public and presenting information to large and small groups.
- Work independently and as part of a team.
- Possess professional maturity, sensitivity to different cultures, and impeccable integrity that exemplify Justice Defenders’ values of Bravery, Humility & Solidarity.
We especially encourage applications from those who have been in prison, were the recipient of free school meals, or are from the first generation of their family to attend university and from those who consider themselves to be part of minority groups.
Like to apply?
Kindly visit this link. Applications should be received by the stipulated deadline. Please note that only short listed candidates will be contacted..
Kindly visit this link. Applications should be received by the stipulated deadline, 14th February 2023.
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.