Get a free C.V. review by sending your C.V. to email@example.com or click the following link. Submit C.V.! use the subject heading REVIEW.
IMPORTANT: Read the application instructions keenly, Never pay for a job interview or application. DO NOT USE THE SUBMIT CV LINK TO APPLY FOR A JOB!
Click the Link Below to Get Targeted Job Updates
Within delegated authority, the Legal Assistant will be responsible for the following duties:
- Conducts basic research on assigned issues, using existing legal files and alternative sources (e.g., computer-assisted searches using the internet, intranet or other databases); verifies facts, identifies citations, precedents, issues to be addressed, etc., and drafts statements of findings, respondent replies to appeals, etc. for review by Legal Officers.
- Assists in the maintenance of a body of legal reference files, both paper and electronic, to ensure rapid retrieval of critical information; conducts reference searches upon request; reviews material and determines appropriate file classification category; identifies material for inclusion in files; coordinates with Archives on retirement, storage and retrieval of files; participates in initiatives to enhance existing systems for records management and retrieval, including development of proposals for consideration.
- Reviews, verifies and processes legal instruments, ensuring conformity to relevant guidelines and requirements; extracts key data and update database; monitors requisite follow-up actions, approvals, etc.
- Drafts, edits and conducts final check for accuracy of a variety of specialized documentation and related correspondence.
- Manages individual case files, maintaining and updating detailed “docket sheets” and ensuring that all related correspondence and other documentations are appropriately filed, registered and followed up as necessary.
- Independently handles a variety of relatively complex verbal and written inquiries from internal and external parties, including providing detailed information on processes and procedures related to a range of legal activities, instruments, issues, etc.
- Services various committees and other meetings, including assisting in the preparation of pre-, in- and post-session documents, preparation of draft of Journal and summaries, notes for the Chairman; establishes log and assigns document identification symbols; coordinates with relevant units; prepares and updates programme of work, delegation and documents lists; tracks status of meetings and monitors follow-up actions, etc.
- Provides technical assistance for meetings arrangements and servicing.
- Coordinates meetings, ensuring timely receipt of legal instruments and other requisite documentation.
- Maintains internal databases on cases for tracking and trend analysis; generates a variety of standard and non-standard statistical and other reports from various databases and posting of documents on the website.
- Provides general office support services; processes, drafts, edits, proofreads and finalizes for signature/approval a variety of correspondence and other communications, specialized legal documentation; sets up and maintains files/records (electronic and paper); schedules appointments/meetings, monitors deadlines, etc.
- Assists with the collection and analysis of data as well as preparation of data presentations and reports for information sharing, responding to queries, knowledge management, planning and decision making.
- Assists with visualizations and updating information material such as web pages or brochures.
- Performs other ad hoc duties as assigned.
- Professionalism: Knowledge of organizational legal framework, relevant legal processes, procedures and terminology for review, examination, preparation and processing of legal documents. Ability to conduct research using diverse legal research sources (including electronic sources on the internet, intranet and other data bases). Ability to review and synthesizes information and present findings and recommendations in a required format. Knowledge of information management, classification and retrieval systems. Ability to show tact and discretion in dealing with high-ranking officials and with confidential matters and materials. Ability to perform analysis, modeling and interpretation of data in support of decision-making. Shows pride in work and in achievements. Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter. Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results. Is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns. Shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Commitment to implementing the goal of gender equality by ensuring the equal participation and full involvement of women and men in all aspects of work.
- Communication: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively. Listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately. Asks questions to clarify and exhibits interest in having two-way communication. Tailors language, tone, style and format to match the audience. Demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
- Planning and Organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies. Identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required. Allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work. Foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning. Monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary. Uses time efficiently.
- High school diploma or equivalent is required.
- A minimum of seven (7) years of experience in paralegal work, conference servicing, general office support or related area is required.
- Experience in providing paralegal support on disciplinary matters is desirable.
- Experience in research and preparation of legal documents in the United Nations or other international organization is desirable.