Get a free C.V. review by sending your C.V. to email@example.com or click the following link. Submit C.V.! use the subject heading REVIEW.
IMPORTANT: Read the application instructions keenly, Never pay for a job interview or application. DO NOT USE THE SUBMIT CV LINK TO APPLY FOR A JOB!
Click the Link Below to Get Targeted Job Updates
Reporting to the Head of Legal Services, the job holder is responsible for the effective and efficient management of legal matters related to credit with direct support to Credit Administration and Debt Recovery departments respectively and provision of legal advisory services to the organization and ensuring effective management of legal and credit related risks.
- Provide leadership and ensure efficient and effective management of staff and resources reporting to job holder including mentorship, coaching and training.
- Liaise with the Head of Legal Services in conducting performance appraisals and ensure competency and training gaps are addressed.
- Represent the Head of Legal Services in various internal or external meetings or committees when called upon.
- Provide monthly and quarterly reports to the Head of Legal Services on job holder duties.
- Maintain and update the database of cases and management of litigation.
- Review progress of outstanding litigation and liaise with on appropriate strategies for cases.
- Collate documents and any evidence, identify and prepare witnesses in support of Bank cases.
- Diarize hearing notices for pending cases, follow up and update of outcome thereof to Head of Legal Services, Debt Recovery Unit (DRU) and Branch (where applicable)
- Provide support to the Debt Recovery Unit in various recovery processes including but not limited to:-
- Ensure compliance by DRU team on the necessary statutory requirements and processes.
- Review and issuance of statutory notices
- Legal advisory of various recovery matters
- Manage external counsel handling various litigation matters including issuance of instructions, timely drafting of pleadings, review of pleadings, review of advocates performance.
- Issuance of Legal opinions and recommendation on various litigation matters.
- Negotiation of out of court settlement with customers
- Management of legal costs associated to litigation.
- Attending Court and representing the company in legal issues when required.
- Review and manage demand letters from customers or third parties.
Credit Documentation and perfection of securities
- Draft, review and ensure proper facility letters, Bank’s standard forms and templates, securities documentation and service level agreements and standard agreements, properly drafted and legally enforceable to ensure and in compliance to regulatory changes and general securitization requirements. to safeguard the bank’s exposure.
- To capture, register, monitor, control and report all types of collateral offered by the customers and ensure that they are properly lodged for registration.
- Liaise with external legal counsel to ensure proper preparation, execution, registration and perfection of securities within the agreed SLA.
- Review and ensure all security documentation and other necessary documentation.
Legal Risk Management and Advisory
- Provision of sound legal advice to the business/ staff on existing or emerging laws, operational requirements.
- Continually reviews, develops and refines legal policies and procedures to determine their suitability for the bank’s requirements and recommends modification and upgrading to meet the desired standards and changes in the bank’s risk profile.
- Participate in drafting and review of various risk policies and procedures to comply with the bank’s strategy and objectives.
- Ensure any policy or identified regulatory breaches are properly authorized at the correct level.
- Periodically do risk review of new and existing credit products and non-credit products with inherent risks and advise the management on remedial measures.
- Manage the performance and relationships of third- party legal service providers.
- Monitor and manage Legal and Legal Product Risks within the business.
- Liaise with relevant departments to ensure that where legal risks have been identified, appropriate courses of action have been taken.
- Provide and interpret legal information, conduct training and disseminate appropriate legal requirements to management and staff.
Bank-wide AML KYC & CFT Responsibilities
- Communicating and reinforcing the AML-CTF compliance culture established by the board.
- Implementing and enforcing the board-approved AML, KYC & CFT policy within the Department.
KEY MEASURABLE GOALS
- Legal Risk Management
- Regulatory monitoring
- Management of litigation
- Documentation and perfection of securities
- Support in Credit Statutory Debt Recovery processes
- Stakeholder Engagements – Directors, Regulators, Shareholders, Industry players
- Bachelor of Laws degree from a recognized University
- Post Graduate Qualifications- Diploma in Law
- Advocate of the High Court of Kenya with current practicing certificate
Knowledge and Skills
- Technical Skills in Conveyancing and securities documentation
- Litigation and Debt Recovery Processes
- Ability to deal with and effectively manage senior stakeholders confidently Proficiency in Computer Skills;
- Strong Oral and Written Communication skills.
- Honest, Transparent and demonstrate high level on integrity.
- At least three (3) years extensive legal experience either from a banking institution with extensive exposure to litigation, debt recovery and security perfection
- Working knowledge of both the legal requirements and lending practice for financial institutions
- particularly lending to the different market segments
- Exposure to CBK compliance requirements will be a definite advantage.
- Ability to work with minimum supervision
- Must have attention to detail.
- Proactive and self-driven
- Must have ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment;
- Must have high follow through ability and exude leadership qualities;
- Must have strong interpersonal, negotiating and communications skills; and
- Should have excellent organizational skills and analytical and computer skills.
Closing Date ; 30th November 2023