Senior Backend Engineer
At M-KOPA, We Finance Progress.
The scale and impact of our work is massive. M-KOPA is a fast-growing FinTech company offering millions of underbanked customers across Africa access to life-enhancing products and services. From our roots as the pioneer in pay-as-you-go “PayGo’” solar energy for off-grid homes, we have grown into one of the most advanced connected asset ﬁnancing platforms in the world, empowering a broad range of customers to achieve progress in their lives.
About the Role
First and foremost, we are looking for someone who is excited about what we do. You don’t need to be an expert in FinTech but should be keen to learn and apply our company’s values.
You are going to be part of our Backend team of 66 engineers and team leads, who work fully remote from UK, Europe and Africa.
As a Senior Backend Engineer, you will be working in small team of backend engineers, product managers and testers, focused on improving our end users’ product experience.
You will deliver event-driven systems that cope with millions of daily transactions and push to production multiple times a day. You will own the whole SDLP process and will drive development using testing best practices (i.e., TDD).
We are a team of passionate product-focused engineers committed building and fostering an environment where our colleagues feel valued. We encourage knowledge sharing and learning as much as possible.
It is a fully remote role, within the following time zone (UTC -1 / UTC+3). You will report to the Engineering Team Lead.
You’re excited about this opportunity because you will
- If you like to put your people and teammates first, you bring your most empathetic self to work
- You like to take a product-focused approach to development and drive changes using data to guide your decisions
- Be delivering high quality backend code into production on a regular basis and have a direct impact in our wider organisation.
- You embrace DevOps mindset and understand its benefits it brings to the team
- Working in a team makes you happy and you like collaborating with other teams to grow and improve the department and wider business
- Your work will directly impact the experience of millions of people based in Africa
- Demonstrating low ego and team spirit
- Taking ownership of your work, partnering with cross functional peers to ensure projects are properly scoped and implemented
- Advocating of CI / CD best practices and understand the importance of writing clean code
- Be willing to explore and learn new technologies outside of your comfort zone
We’re excited about you because you have experience with
- You have at least 3 years’ experience working as a professional software engineer/architect on medium/large scale distributed system
- You have commercial experience with C#.NET and microservices, as well as shipping high-quality backend code into production
- You have knowledge of Azure and AKS or other containerized application deployment tools
- You are comfortable with the DevOps culture, and with the idea of being involved with the management of the systems that you build through their entire lifecycle
- You have a collaborative spirit and a strong desire to learn from teammates, learning to work as part of a team that is greater than the sum of its parts
- It will be highly beneficial if you have knowledge of the financial services industry and the African market
- A degree in computer science or a related field will be beneficial, however, we care much more about your skills than about how you acquired them
- We primarily use .NET for our backend and Kotlin for our Android apps
- Our teams use some flavour of Scrum where they keep track of their work in Azure DevOps, which we also use for our CI/CD
- Our cloud provider is Azure, where our microservices are hosted in Azure Kubernetes Services
- We are building a whole new set of microservices based on Event-Driven Architecture patterns
- We are a team of passionate product-focused engineers committed to building and fostering an environment where our employees feel value
- Recruiter Screen
- 1st Stage Interview
- Technical Interview – take away home task, afterwards presented to the team
- Final Interview – Meeting senior members of the team
What’s in it for you
- Private health insurance (inpatient outpatient, maternity, eye care, and dental)
- Group Life Cover
- Remote working (dependent on the nature of the role)
- Airtime allowance (dependent on the nature of the role)
- WIFI payment up to 5 Mbps monthly (dependent on the nature of the role)
- 21 days per annum (excluding public holidays). Annual leave is accrued at the standard rate of 1.75 days per month
- Annual Learning and Development Fund – You have an annual $ 1,200 allowance to spend on learning and development (that is, between 1 January and 31 December). For your first year at M-KOPA, this allowance is pro-rated depending on the month that you start.
- Home Office Set Up – Having the best IT equipment tools in the world doesn’t make sense if you do not have a proper setup to work with. For this reason, M-KOPA will pre-approve the following items for a total budget of $1000 that you can use at any time after signing the offer letter with M-KOPA (you may purchase desk and chair separately or together; before or after your start date)
- On site retreats with wider tech team, plus trips to operational markets
M-KOPA is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to assembling a diverse, broadly trained staff. Women, minorities, and people with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.
M-KOPA does not collect/charge any money as a pre-employment or post-employment requirement. This means that we never ask for ‘recruitment fees’, ‘processing fees’, ‘interview fees’ or any other kind of money in exchange for offer letters or interviews at any time during the hiring process.