Get a free C.V. review by sending your C.V. to firstname.lastname@example.org or click the following link. Submit C.V.! use the subject heading REVIEW.
IMPORTANT: Read the application instructions keenly, Never pay for a job interview or application. DO NOT USE THE SUBMIT CV LINK TO APPLY FOR A JOB!
Click the Link Below to Get Targeted Job Updates
The United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) is the leading global environmental authority that sets the global environmental agenda, promotes the coherent implementation of the environmental dimension of sustainable development within the United Nations system and serves as an authoritative advocate for the global environment. UNEP administers the Nairobi Convention for the Protection, Management and Development of Coastal and Marine Environment of the Western Indian Ocean. The Contracting Parties to the Convention are Comoros, France, Kenya, Madagascar, Mauritius, Mozambique, Seychelles, Somalia, South Africa and United Republic of Tanzania.
UN Environment’s, Ecosystems Division works with international and national partners, providing technical assistance and advisory services for the implementation of environmental policy, and strengthening the environmental management capacity of developing countries and countries with economies in transition. This is a Project Post. The position is located in Ecosystems Division, Nairobi duty station. The project aims at the protection and the joint management of the northern zone of the Mozambique Channel covered by the exclusive economic zones of the countries of the region: Tanzania, Mozambique, Madagascar, Union of the Comoros, Seychelles and France.
The Nairobi Convention, in executing the project on Integrated Management of the Marine and Coastal Resources of the NOrthern MOzambique ChAnnel (NOCAMO) requires a highly motivated international consultant, to work with the Project Coordinator on the technical management of the Project.
Objective of the Consultancy
On behalf of the Nairobi Convention, the consultant will provide a country liaison role through the system of national focal points, regarding technical aspects. He will also be in charge of the technical implementation of Component 1 on MSP and will be technically assisted by WWF Madagascar, the WWF offices in Tanzania and Mozambique.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Under the general supervision of the Head of the Nairobi Convention Secretariat, the consultant will be responsible for the following:
- Develop a case for MSP in the WIO, concepts and methodology, drawing from the WIO MSP strategy, emphasizing on readiness of MSP, institutional capacities, policies, and regulations, particularly in the NMC countries, giving examples of implementation where appropriate.
- Participate in MSP related workshops in the NMC region and provide analysis report to showcase Component 1 activities and share best practices. Include in the report some elements about all MSP related training programs in the NMC countries, partners involved, participants and any resultant national MSP roadmaps.
- Provide finalized geo-spatial analysis outputs related to the activities regarding MSP in the NMC region
- Design and analyze key trends and identify new or emerging issues to enrich the substantive work on the NOCAMO project and links with ongoing initiatives in the Western Indian Ocean region, to guide MSP in the NMC region.
- Work in synergy with the project managers of WIOSAP, SAPPHIRE, SWIOFC Partnership and ACP Meas projects on the development of a common technical approach to support the Ocean Governance Strategy development process and blue economy in the WIO region.
- Review and advise on the technical reports received from technical partners and provide guidance for activity extension.
- Advanced university degree (master’s degree or equivalent) is required in Marine Sciences, Environmental Sciences, Natural Resources Management or similar disciplines. A first level degree with two additional years of relevant work experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- Experience: A minimum of six (6) years of relevant progressive experience in organizations with mandate or relevancy to the marine and coastal environments or a related area is required.
- Experience working on coastal and marine environment issues in the Western Indian Ocean is required.
- Familiarity with regional development objectives of Western Indian Ocean countries and the goals and procedures of international development organizations is desirable.
- An experience in MSP is required.
- English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the post advertised, fluency in oral and written English and French are required.
Deadline : Nov 24, 2023