Work Location: Nairobi
Application deadline: 29th January 2023
Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is an international independent medical humanitarian action-driven organization, which offers assistance to populations in distress, to victims of natural or man-made disasters and to victims of armed conflict, without discrimination and irrespective of race, religion, creed or political affiliation. 26 associations, 23 sections, and 16 branch offices make-up the international movement and work in partnership around 6 operational entities.
MSF Eastern Africa (MSF EA) is the regional institutional office for MSF in East Africa, based in Nairobi. The office focuses on representation and networking, including with humanitarian organisations and authorities, recruiting and supporting staff from the region, communications and fundraising, as well as on other dossiers of importance to MSF such as Diversity, Equality and Inclusion (DEI), mutualization, trainings, medical operational support and environmental health.
General Objective and Job Context
We are looking for someone proactive and motivated, with attention to detail and quality of work. The Career Manager (CM) should be able to work independently on routine tasks in a fast-paced environment, as well as being able to support the Field HR team when needed.
The purpose of the CM will be to support Internationally Mobile Staff (hereafter called IMS) in their Career Development and job placements within MSF. The CM will work closely with the Career Manager Lead of MSF EA and the Pool managers from the different MSF Operational Centres (OC’s), to provide the right human resources for MSFs global operational needs.
The CM will be reporting hierarchically to the Career Management Lead of MSF EA.
Main responsibilities and tasks
- Collaborates with Pool managers (PMs) from different OC’s to identify personnel needs, and proactively proposes candidates for placements based on the IMS skills, experience and availability.
- Regularly meets with the PMs to determine the best fit of IMS in the OC and identifies high potentials and leaders. The CM should have a good understanding of the pool dynamics and profiles of the IMS in the East African pool
- Ensuring that IMS going on their first mission are placed for the MSF preparatory training.
- Oversees briefings and debriefings for departing and returning IMS, ensuring they are linked with relevant colleagues.
- Discusses career management prospects with IMS during briefings e.g. areas of strength and development, drafts development plans according to ambition and capacity.
- Is in regular contact with the IMS regarding any career related topic and placement opportunities and advises on career opportunities within MSF. The CM also Identifies relevant learning and development tools and trainings to ensure IMS have the capacity to take up new challenging roles.
- Highlights profile needs and priorities to the recruitment team and ensures a smooth handover of newly recruited IMS from recruitment to career management.
- Closely working with the Field HR Officer to ensure the IMS database is updated, and shares updates with relevant stakeholders.
- Travel to national and international meetings as required.
- Support’s and respond to local/regional staff mobility/pool needs of the MSF sections.
- Contributes to HR activities and process improvements.
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field (essential)
- 2-3 years of relevant working experience in placement and career management (desirable)
- Fluency in English is essential, French is highly desirable (or the willingness to learn)
- Experience working abroad, preferably with MSF in the field (desirable)
- Knowledge of career management and staff development
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, networking and interviewing skills
- Flexible, able to manage stress and to work outside of office hours as required
- Strong team player, ability to work independently
A challenging position within a stimulating, professional working environment in a major international organisation.
An annual salary of KES 2,947,271 based on a fulltime appointment. Other benefits including a relocation package for non-Kenyan residents is foreseen where applicable. Other additional benefits and specific work conditions will be applied based on the MSF EA section policy.
Other benefits include: 25 days of annual leave, Employer Pension contribution, Medical insurance etc based on MSF EA terms/conditions.
How to apply
If you recognize yourself in this profile, we welcome you to apply directly via the link provided below.
Applicants are required to upload a letter of motivation + Curriculum Vitae (in English) in PDF format as one combined document.
The closing date for applications is on 29th January 2023.
Please note that only candidates that fully meet the requirements of the position will be taken into consideration. Women and persons with disability are highly encouraged to apply.
At MSF, we are committed to an inclusive culture that encourages and supports the diverse voices of our employees. We welcome applications from individuals of all genders, ages, sexual orientations, nationalities, races, religions, beliefs, ability status, and all other diversity characteristics.
We apologize that due to the volume of application we receive only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Incomplete applications will not be considered