IMPORTANT: Read the application instructions keenly, Never pay for a job interview or application.
Get a free C.V. review by sending your C.V. to email@example.com or click the following link. Submit C.V.! use the subject heading REVIEW.
Epidemiology Activity Manager – Jubaland
Work Location: Nairobi with 70% field visit to Somalia
Start date: January, 2023
Length of contract: Fixed term 100% with three to six months’ probation period.
Application deadline: 30th November, 2022
MSF is an independent humanitarian medical organization providing emergency medical aid to populations in need. MSF is seeking a qualified Kenyan for this position:
Defining, coordinating and monitoring the epidemiological activities, ensuring the development of appro-priate methodology and the quality of studies according to MSF protocols, standards and procedures in order to identify risk factors for diseases and to determine the optimal treatment approaches to clinical practice and the preventive medicine to be used in the missions.
Other tasks include, but not limited to:
- Defining, scheduling and organizing, in close collaboration with other medical team members, the annual epidemiological activity plan as well as its associated budget, in order to improve early detection of risk factors to better define treatment approaches and preventive practices. Leading the implementation of the protocols and epidemiological methodology, ensuring all related staff follows them in order to improve research efficiency.
- Supervising, according to annual plan, the epidemiological research activity ensuring that contacts with community groups and authorities are aligned with the objectives of the research and that the population participating in the research is properly informed. Reporting on the progress of data collection, on ongoing analysis of research or on any issue causing delay, in order to achieve epidemiological goals on time.
- Advising the MSF medical team on epidemiological matters that arise in the course of their activity research, and when necessary, designing and implementing epidemiological tools and data collection to meet new epidemiological needs.
- Ensuring, in coordination with logistics department, that national or international shipment of laboratory samples acquired for research purposes is done within datelines and according to protocols, following security rules and keeping conditions needed for the sample.
- Supervising data filing procedures, ensuring that all epidemiology software tools are properly used and are updated regularly, in order to ensure full data traceability and availability.
- Planning and supervising, in close coordination with the HR department and the MSF vision, policies and values, the associated processes (job description, recruitment, training, performance evaluation, development and internal/external communication) of the epidemiological staff in order to ensure both the sizing and the amount of knowledge required, to improve staff technical capabilities, contribution and commitment to MSF values.
- Supervising, in close coordination with the Logistic Manager that research equipment and materials are properly maintained and stock level is above minimum point in order to ensure availability and research activity continuity.
- Participating in operational monthly reports and organizing and/or assisting medical staff in preparing epidemiological reports related to health facilities and to researched areas.
- Responsible for technical guidance and oversight of the Jubaland Project surveillance system to monitor epidemiological trends of prone-outbreak diseases in Somalia, in collaboration with the Project MTL.
- Analyze weekly surveillance data in relation to the health event thresholds to inform a timely investigations and response actions.
- Follow-up health events in Jubaland and support the team in carrying out diseases outbreak investigations, including monitoring and initial assessments.
- Responsible for quality review and analysis of project data (either in DHIS2 or in any other format) with any epidemiologically important trends to be communicated to the project team.
- Analyze results of on-going studies and preparing regular written reports on progress and findings for the medical coordinator/HQ.
- Prepares weekly Jubaland surveillance reports, shares with the surveillance coordinator, project team and medical coordinator.
- Regular travels to working areas in South Jubaland and corresponding preparation of epidemiological activities in the field.
- Essential: Essential, medical or nursing related diploma. Desirable specialization or training in tropical diseases.
- Desirable degree (or masters) in Epidemiology or Public Health with extensive training in statistics and epidemiology.
- Essential: Essential working experience of at least two years in nursing activities related jobs.
- Desirable working experience with MSF or other NGOs.
- Desirable working experience in developing countries.
- Essential: Fluency in English (written & spoken)
- Desirable: Fluency in Somali (written & spoken)
- Essential: Computer literacy
- Results and Quality Orientation
- Behavioral Flexibility
- Commitment to MSF principles
- People Management & development
- Teamwork & cooperation
If you meet the above requirements, please email your CV & motivation letter as a single PDF file by 30th November, 2022 under the subject “EPIDEMIOLOGY ACTIVITY MANAGER- JUBALAND” to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
(MSF is an equal Employer and does not charge any application/recruitment or training fee)