Micro Enterprises Support Programme Trust (MESPT) was established in 2002 by the Government of Kenya and European Union. EU later relinquished their position to the Royal Danish Embassy in Kenya, Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Denmark (DANIDA) through a Trust Deed of 2013.
The Trust is a development organization with a purpose to grow small holder farmers and Agri SMEs to increase productivity, incomes and enhance competitiveness for job creation especially for youth and women. This is achieved through capacity building which includes skills development, technical support, business advisory, financial and market linkages.
Our focus is to facilitate support and provision of integrated financial and business development services for small holder farmers and Agri SMEs in Kenya. This is aimed at enabling beneficiaries to access finance, increase agricultural productivity, agro-processing, and access markets/ trade opportunities. For over a decade, MESPT has partnered with development agencies, donors, and investors to build the capacity of the business services sector and the agricultural sector in Kenya through a unique tripartite business model that links Farmers, Agri- SMEs, and Financial Institutions – creating linkages along value chains.
We pride ourselves for successfully implementing 12 agriculture-based Programmes that have seen us facilitate creation of 70,000 decent jobs at various levels of the agriculture market systems. We have also cumulatively disbursed KES 6.4 billion to financial institutions and over 250,000 end users have accessed finance.
ABOUT DANIDA MARKET DEVELOPMENT PARTNERSHIP PROGRAMME
The Danida Market Development Partnership (DMDP) Programme is designed to give an opportunity to enterprises that are keen on delivering towards Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). The programme brings commercial and non-commercial actors together in partnerships to promote sustainable business, development and employment opportunities contributing to SDGs 8 (Decent Work and Economic Growth) and 17 (Partnerships for Sustainable Development) among others.
The overall objective of the DMDP programme is to contribute to sustainable economic growth in developing countries within the framework of the SDGs. Through broad partnerships, the facility contributes to the motivation and mobilization of private sector investments.
The Market Development Partnership Project will contribute to increased and sustainable incomes and decent jobs within the banana subsector in Taita Taveta County with emphasis on women and youth. This will by extension contribute to poverty alleviation.
The project interventions are geared towards enhancing the competitiveness of the banana value chain and hence improved market access for the targeted farmers. Production capacities of small holder farmers and service providers to be developed, and vertical & horizontal linkages facilitated thereby sustainably creating value and business efficiencies. There is emphasis on greening with climate smart and regenerative agricultural practices and Agri circularity solutions promoted amongst smallholder farmers and other key actors and stakeholders.
For further information kindly visit our website www.mespt.org
As part of its development programme, MESPT is seeking to engage a highly committed, results-oriented, self-driven professional with excellent project management skills to ensure the successful delivery of the programme towards achieving its objectives and targets.
Position Title: Danida Market Development Partnerships (DMDP) Programme Manager
Position Reports to: Chief Executive Officer
Duty Station: Taveta
Salary: Grade 3
Benefits: 25 days annual leave, Medical Insurance, 20% Gratuity and 7.5% leave allowance
Restrictions: 3 Month probation period, 2 years fixed contract and 1-month notice period
Expected Travel: Significant travel
The Programme Manager will provide technical, managerial and leadership oversight to the DMDP project and ensure successful implementation of the programme. Specific tasks include;
- Lead and manage all aspects of the programme i.e., planning, implementation, quality, and accountability, monitoring and evaluation.
- Work in close liaison and ensure effective communication with the County Government and consortium partners i.e., ORANA and WANDA Agricultural Group to coordinate coherent and consistent delivery of the programme objectives
- Provide technical input for the implementation of the programme including in the preparation of work plans, strategies, training materials, guides and manuals and value chain integration;
- In liaison with the Programme Team, ensure effective integration of Green and Responsible Business Conduct in the programme
- Ensure project phase in, phase out and sustainability planning is in place. Ensure yearly budget, detailed implementation plan, and operational strategy are in place and approved in line with the Development Engagement Document (DED) and donor requirements
- Ensure annual Project budget utilization is achieved by 100%
- In liaison with the MEAL Manager, facilitate Baseline survey, project reviews and evaluation according to the schedule
- Ensure high quality coordination is maintained at county, regional and national levels
- Provide Project stakeholders with comprehensive documentation and each stakeholder clarified on duty bound activity
- Conduct regular meetings among Project teams including implementing partners on work progress and further analysis on needs for change to donor requests through open and constant channels of communications with donors
- Operationalize implementing partner agreements, review meetings, and follow-up on agreed items with all key stakeholders
- Provide leadership through institutionalization of line management, mentorship, coaching and appropriate staff development.
- Develop and implement appropriate tools for progress monitoring to ensure desired quality and impact is achieved.
- Ensure issues coming up during project implementation are appropriately resolved
- Communicate significant issues in a timely manner to the line supervisor
- Ensure the programme has sufficient systems in place to meet programme management standards and comply with donor regulations and good practice
Staff Performance Management
- Coordinate the overall performance of the team, by managing the preparation of individual annual work objectives and targets & facilitate biannual and annual performance reviews and appraisals
- Use performance management to ensure high quality programme output.
- Participate in programme staff recruitment process.
- Ensure proper succession planning for the programme team.
- Ensure all MESPT safety and security guidelines are followed and that all safety or security incidents are recorded and reported as soon as they happen
- Facilitate effective teamwork, coordination, and work planning
Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning
- In liaison with the MEAL Manager, facilitate the development of the programme’s MEAL plan and ensure that effective mechanisms are in place to monitor activities and outputs and assessments for programme quality and impact.
- Liaise and coordinate with the MEAL Manager to standardize MEAL requirements, including formats and procedures in the programme.
- In liaison with the MEAL Manager, facilitate baselines, midterm and final evaluations for the programme and assist with other assessments, including rapid or in-depth sectoral assessments, in new or existing project areas as needed
- Conduct regular MEAL field visits to collect data with the help of partners, assess the application of MEAL tools.
- Ensure programme implementation is within the best practice constraints of time, scope, and budget.
- Facilitate operational research for contextual understanding, identifying opportunities, vulnerabilities, capacities, and resources.
- Work to ensure that lessons learned, and best practices are incorporated into new program design
- Communicate learnings and analysis of monitoring data to ensure that management is able to make informed decisions on a timely basis to scale up and face operational challenges
- Track planned evaluations and ensure that evaluation reports are obtained and shared to facilitate learning,
- Provide documentation on case studies and success stories
Partnership and Networking
- Establish good working relationship with the consortium partners to ensure the realization of the project results
- Promote MESPT’s profile and enhance visibility through collaboration, networking and disseminating good practices to relevant stakeholders
- Develop strategic relationships and partnership with key stakeholders at National and County Level
- Interact, build, and nurture effective working relationships with relevant NGOs, United Nations Agencies, and Civil Society Organizations in order to foster coordination, collaboration, and partnership
- Establish adequate referral linkage of project target groups with the appropriate service providers, policy makers and other stakeholders
- Ensure efficient systems are in place to qualitatively impact the relationships with donors, beneficiaries, and other stakeholders
Financial Management/Policy adherence
- Ensure 100% compliance to contract requirements, financial management policy, procurement, HR, monitoring and reporting, and facilitate training where necessary.
- Ensure and monitor the allocation of resources in the most efficient and cost-effective way while aiming for the highest quality of implementation
- Manage the programme budget in close collaboration with the Head of Programmes and the Head of Finance and undertake monthly budget variance analysis
- Ensure efficient use and management of project resources.
Documentation and Reporting
- Ensure timely preparation and submission of monthly, quarterly, semi-annual, annual, and other program and financial reports as appropriate
- Ensure high quality reports to illustrate MESPT’s impact and assessment findings are produced, including evidence of good practice and replicable models, and that they are communicated at appropriate events to facilitate learning and sharing of good practices
- Ensure reporting deadlines are met
Any other duties as assigned by the Supervisor from time to time
- Head of Finance and Administration
- MEAL Manager
- ICT Manager
- Programme Managers
- HR Manager
- Programme Accountant
- Communication Officer
- Partner organisations,
- Stakeholders including government, research institutions, financial institutions, external auditors, donors, and private companies
Knowledge, Experience and Skills
- Should have at least 8 years of progressive working experience in the implementation of agri-business projects using Value Chain development and Market systems approach
- Experience in managing multi-year donor-funded programmes
- An understanding of project cycle management approaches and tools – including participatory capacity assessment and planning, project appraisal, monitoring and evaluation and partners’ capacity building,
- Experience in community-based programming
- Experience in working with Micro Small and Medium Enterprises
- Experience in designing strategies and approaches for enhancing agricultural production, food safety, Access to Market, Green Technologies and engaging youth and women
- Familiarity and experience with DANIDA regulations
- Experience in networking among development partners and government departments
- Ability to work in partnership with county governments and the private sector: capable of ensuring best practice and dealing with performance issues
- Ability and resilience to cope with multiple internal and external demands
- High level skills and experience in capacity building and report writing
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and team building skills
- Minimum of bachelor’s degree in Agriculture, Agribusiness, Agricultural Economics, or related field.
- A Master’s Degree in Agribusiness/Agricultural Economics, Strategic/Project Management, Development Studies, or other relevant fields will be an added advantage.
- A post graduate qualification in project management.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications especially with MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint & Outlook.
- Holds self and the team accountable to deliver on their responsibilities
- Sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves (and their team)
- Engages and motivates others
- Future orientated, thinks strategically
- Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions
- Willing to take disciplined risks
- Honest, encourages openness and transparency
- Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, members and external partners and supporters
How to apply
Qualified and interested applicants should send their application letters indicating their current/last remuneration, detailed CV with email address, daytime telephone contacts, names, and email contacts of 3 professional referees, 2 must have supervised you at some point, with one being your most recent supervisor to email@example.com quoting Job Reference and Job Title in the subject line.
The applicant must legally be eligible to live and work full time in Kenya.
Please do not send certificates at this stage.
Deadline for applications 16th December 2022 at 5.00 pm EAT.
MESPT is an equal opportunity employer (EOE) committed to
Gender Equity and Diversity.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.