IMPORTANT: Read the application instructions keenly, Never pay for a job interview or application.
Get a free C.V. review by sending your C.V. to firstname.lastname@example.org or click the following link. Submit C.V.! use the subject heading REVIEW.
The Nairobi Hospital, a leading health care institution in the region has an excellent career opportunity for an individual who possesses a passion for excellence, strong work ethic, results oriented and committed to continuous improvement. The successful candidate will be a team player, and well informed with the ability to effectively add value to enable good outcomes in line with our Strategic Plan (2019-2024).
HEALTH AND SAFETY OFFICER
Reporting to the Quality Coordinator, the successful candidate will be responsible for implementing, maintaining and updating the Hospital’s occupational health and safety (QEOSH) Programmes.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Plan and execute OSHAS certification (ISO 45001:2018) for the Hospital and OPCs.
- Comprehensive hazard identification and assessments for all jobs and activities in the Hospital and OPCs.
- Specialist job hazard analysis for all jobs/ activities in the hospital and development of safe systems of work to address health and safety issues.
- Development of a permit system of work for identified high-risk jobs/activities to protect the health and safety of staff, patients, visitors, and other stakeholders.
- Training of staff in various departments on safe systems of work related to the nature of activities.
- Ensure that all the facilities are licensed with the necessary regulatory bodies relating to health and safety.
- Ensure that all accidents are documented, investigated and recommended improvements implemented. This also includes reporting to regulatory bodies. i.e. DOHSS.
- Lead in root cause analysis for occupational health and safety incidents.
- Development in conjunction with HOD’s key lagging and leading occupational health and safety indicators using international benchmarks.
- In conjunction with relevant HODs, develop mandatory occupational health and safety policies required by statutory and regulatory requirements and monitor compliance. Amongst these are;
o Health and safety policy.
o Emergency response and evacuation plan. o Radiation safety plan.
- Control of substances hazardous to health plan.
- Fire safety plans.
- In liaison with a Designated Health Practitioner (DHP), plan, coordinate, entry, exit and routine occupational medical examinations including monitoring of the implementation of findings.
- Lead annual plan of health and safety committee that includes;
- Designing and delivering training on health and safety issues
- Inspections and follow-ups
- Statutory occupational health and safety audits and follow-ups,
- Collaborate with third parties and contractors on site on occupational health and safety matters.
- Develop and implement an awareness plan for q-pulse for the following modules, i.e. inspections, occurrence and incident for effective use and uptake in the following areas of the Hospital;
- Galleria, Warwick, Capital Centre, Southfield, Rosslyn Riviera and Kiambu OPCs
- A&E, Division of Clinical Services, PMC, Radiology, Oncology, Medical Records, Human Resources, Finance, Procurement, Credit Control, Security, Engineering, M&CS, Catering, Laundry, College of Health Sciences, CEO’s Administration.
- Schedule and execute quarterly OHS & Fire safety inspections in all OPCs, all departments/ sections in the Main Hospital.
- Train inspectors, track inspections and ensure corrective action plans for Occupational Health and Safety emerging issues have been developed, implemented and hoisted in q-pulse.
- Train Inspectors, track inspections and ensure corrective action plans have been developed, implemented and hoisted in q-pulse.
- Develop action trackers in q-pulse and follow them through with respective HODs for the following regulatory audits;
- Directorate of Occupational Health and Safety Services (DOHSS) OHS and fire safety audits for six (6) OPCs and main Hospital.
- OHS regulatory tests
- Create, hoist OHS standard operating procedures (SOPs) and track review for timely escalation to HODs.
- Run on weekly and monthly basis OHS q-pulse analysis dashboards for escalation to HODs
- Any other responsibilities that may be assigned to the job holder by the supervisor from time to time.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor of science degree in occupational health and safety.
- Minimum five (5) years’ experience in occupational health and safety.
- Professional certification either by NEMA, DOHSS or NEBOSH.
- Experience in implementation of health and safety management systems; Kaizen/ 5S, OSHA 2007 and ISO 45001:2018.
- Quality systems training on QMS, EMS and ISO 45001:2018.
- Ability to interpret standards and relate to actual practice.
- Strong interpersonal skills, for negotiating changes in the workplace and influencing others to adopt them.
- An understanding of health and safety legislation and how to interpret it.
- Sound knowledge of technical and operational processes.
- The ability to think ahead and anticipate potential problems.
- Presentation skills in order to lead training sessions.
- Ability to communicate complex information in a straight forward way
- A thorough and methodical approach.
- A cutting edge in timely follow-up.
- High level of integrity.
- Ability to work on own initiative.
- Flair for high-performance standards.
- Ability to manage workload and prioritize effectively.
- Co-operative and diligent.
If your background, experience and competence match the above specifications, please send us your application (cover letter & CV/Resume) quoting the job reference number, your current remuneration, testimonials and full contact details of 3 referees, to reach the undersigned not later than 2nd December 2022. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. We shall ONLY accept ONLINE applications and contact SHORTLISTED candidates.
The Nairobi Hospital does NOT charge recruitment fees.
Human Resources Manager
The Nairobi Hospital
P.O. Box 30026 – 00100