Get a free C.V. review by sending your C.V. to firstname.lastname@example.org or click the following link. Submit C.V.! use the subject heading REVIEW.
IMPORTANT: Read the application instructions keenly, Never pay for a job interview or application.
Click the Link Below to Get Targeted Job Updates
Sign Up For Targeted Job Updates Here
WHAT WE CAN ACHIEVE TOGETHER
- Kenya is a member of the High Ambition Coalition for Nature and People that champions the CBD 30×30 target. To sustainably protect and conserve 30% of Kenya’s terrestrial and inland waters ecosystems it is important to anchor this into government policies and legislations. Working with government at National and County level is important to domesticate international Multilateral Environmental Agreements (MEAS) for nature and people. The Convention on Biological Diversity (CBD) Global Biodiversity Framework recently adopted is a landmark for the efforts to halt biodiversity loss. The Implementation of its 4 goals and 23 targets, including for the achievement of protecting and conserving 30% of its land and oceans is critical for Kenya. To effectively deliver and manage the 30% under conservation and protection requires strong policies for impact at the grassroot level.
- The Conservation Policy Advisor will manage, integrate and coordinate existing partnerships with government and other key stakeholders to advance TNC CBD 30×30 work in Kenya. They will work closely with the government CBD desk and other ministries and agencies within the area of responsibility with a view to mainstream biodiversity conservation in their policies and actions. The position will work closely with the government to define conservation priorities and long-term conservation strategies, to assess existing policies and design new ones. Also, the post holder will support on monitoring implementation of such policies and on reporting on progress. For that, the post holder is expected to promote an open-dialogue between stakeholders and resolve technical and policy-related issues and to widely communicate solutions and best practices.
WE’RE LOOKING FOR YOU
- The Conservation Policy Advisor- Kenya will work collaboratively with key stakeholders, both internal and external to achieve overall TNC Kenya program priorities with specific focus on Kenya’s CBD 30×30 commitments, including through its links with the High Ambition Coalition. They will collaborate with other national and global technical teams, particularly those involved in TNCC 30×30 Biodiversity Initiative and the Project for Permanence, in coordination and supporting the key strategic areas of the TNC Kenya program. The position will report to the Kenya Program Director, and will be based at the TNC Kenya office, at the TNC Regional Offices in Nairobi. No relocation assistance shall be provided.
The main responsibilities:
- Provide advice and work with government on key policy issues, engage in relevant negotiations, and coordinate the TNC Kenya program efforts to enhance implementation of the Kenya Convention of Biodiversity (CBD) conservation goals, in line with TNC 2030 goals.
- Work in liaison with government and key stakeholders to support the development of innovative solutions for improved domestication and implementation of the national conservation goals in line with international Conventions and treaties.
- Provide advice and technical support to the Kenya government to develop a roadmap for implementation of the global 30×30 target that is ecologically viable and socially just.
- Provide technical support to the Kenyan government to monitor and report on national conservation goals and targets.
- Liaise with TNC global science teams, to provide technical support to the Kenya government and other key stakeholders to collate the best available scientific evidence to inform national conservation policies.
- Liaise with the TNC global policy teams to provide technical support to government on messaging and other communication materials to support advocacy efforts on government obligations and benefits from the adoption of the CBD Global Biodiversity Framework.
- Convene and mobilize stakeholders for actions including with a view to raise awareness on the CBD 30×30 goal for Kenya.
- Provide policy and advocacy support to the National CBD technical task force, on relevant matters in support of the TNC 2030 goals, including the protection of sites for wildlife through community-based conservancies and the delivery of the global 30×30 target.
- Work closely with the TNC 30×30 Biodiversity Initiative and the Project Finance for Permanence teams to coordinate policy and advocacy actions to deliver these programs nationally.
- Develop partnerships and engage in collaborative dialogues with relevant stakeholders, to support implementation of national conservation goals, particularly the global 30×30 target.
- Manage and ensure that workplans and budgets to support government and other key stakeholders are tracked to ensure alignment to TNC’s Kenya program strategy
- Establish and maintain optimal standards of performance for the program, drafting and negotiating contracts, managing costs and administering budgets, building cooperation from outside parties to accomplish program goals and ensure accurate reporting, while ensuring program compliance with internal policies and external requirements.
- Convene stakeholder meetings to deliberate on program goals and conservation commitments, support technical trainings and workshops with government agencies and ministries, and other relevant stakeholders towards achieving Kenya’s CBD 30×30 goals.
- Coordinates activities with the government and other key stakeholders to streamline and inform policies to advance Kenya’s CBD commitments.
- May work in variable weather conditions, at remote locations, on difficult and hazardous terrain and under physically demanding circumstances in Conducting site visits to conservation areas.
WHAT YOU’LL BRING
- BA/BS degree and 5 years’ experience in conservation practice or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience influencing, developing and implementing conservation policy and plans.
- Experience in conservation or related project management
- Knowledge of current trends and practices in conservation, environmental policy, land management, and natural resource preservation in Kenya.
- Knowledge on international conservation, environmental treaties and conventions and their domestication.
- Knowledge of community-based natural resource management principles and the legislative provisions that facilitate a co-management approach in Kenya
- Knowledge in Swahili and other local languages in Kenya.
- Experience in partnership development with non-profit partners, community groups and government agencies
- Experience managing relationships with government in line with multilateral Environmental Agreements and projects, including deliverables and finances under deadlines.
- Experience in grant / resources acquisition, management, monitoring, and reporting.
- Experience in negotiating.
- Multi-lingual and multi-cultural or cross-cultural experience appreciated including Swahili and other local languages in Kenya.
- Over 7 years’ experience in conservation practice or related field or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Knowledge of current trends and practices in relevant wildlife conservation international treaties, conventions, sectoral policies, discipline(s) and cross boundary regional conservation legislative practices.
- Communicating clearly via written, spoken, and graphical means in English and other relevant languages.
- Demonstrated experience in fundraising.
- Politically savvy.
You must be logged in to post a comment.